Stack on wet timber, & Sidi spare parts

hitch

Stack on wet timber, & Sidi spare parts

Postby hitch » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:39 pm

I had a stack yesterday morning on the way to work, near the Walmer Street footbridge, along the river trail where the bitumen and concrete cycle trail is replaced for about 6 metres by timber decking, about here:

http://goo.gl/maps/8KxYh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

in the shade of the trees. It had been raining a bit, and although I've ridden along here dozens of times, and always slow down a) because of the potential for oncoming traffic and b) especially when it's wet, I obviously didn't slow down enough. Because of the dog leg at the entry to the decking, it's necessary to turn the bars very slightly, but enough for the bike to go out from under me. I went down on both palms, and have severe bruising of the palms, left hip, and potential ligament damage in the right shoulder. Ah well, !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! happens. However a friend had a very similar accident on a wet timber bridge over the merri creek on Sunday, and it seems unusual that both of these highly traffic'd areas just have plain timber decking. Most other areas these days have a coarse, sandy type paint to create a bit of traction. Might contact BV and see if they know if anything can/should be done about it.

The bike came out fine though - slight twist to the seat which I was able to man handle back into shape.

The disappointing part was that i damaged the ratchet on my Sidi shoe. It now doesn't "ratchet" at all - i.e. there's no clicky as the strap goes in and out. Therefore the shoe is kinda useless, unless I do the other two velcro ties up v tight.

Can anyone suggest anywhere in Melbourne that may stock Sidi spare parts, or where to buy online?

Cheers.

hitch

Re: Stack on wet timber, & Sidi spare parts

Postby hitch » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:54 pm

ok, so i just found this...

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... ts#p740130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, these guys are in Sydney- anyone used them?

http://tbsm.com.au/apparel/cycling-shoe ... de8e9483aa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hitch

Postby hitch » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:27 pm

Just thought I'd keep this updated, and mention a (so far) good, store based shopping experience. I contacted an australian online store about the caliper buckle, and also about a new set of insoles. They had them in stock, and the insoles were ~$16, and clips were ~$35 for a pair - this would have also had an ~$8 delivery charge. Was about to order them but thought I'd check the bike shop next door. They could get the insoles at ~$15 and the clips at ~29, no delivery charge, approximately the same time to arrive. I was quite surprised actually, that the shop would be cheaper, and went with the store purchase. Will await delivery.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:53 pm

I got mine from ebay when I had to replace them. Nice to have a set of shoes with easily available spare parts for when you go sliding down the road on them.

scotto

Postby scotto » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:36 pm

ribble and c r c are good for sidi parts

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:51 am

sorry to hear that hitch.

i've had some gnarly slides on that section but haven't come down. i've fallen on other wooden sections though. they are diabolical in the wet - the steel bolts are the things to avoid.

ekib

Postby ekib » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Hitch,
sorry to hear about your crash due to slippery wooden decking.
I had a similar fall on some slippery wooden decking here in Brisbane.
I notified the council and they applied some non-slip coating to the wooden decking.
Perhaps you should suggest that to the relevant council for that area.

Ekib

send from my Iphone34 using wapapapabak.
The End.

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:31 pm

Sorry hear about your stack. Wooden decking is notoriously slippery when its wet or icy. :(

hitch

Postby hitch » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:28 am

After an initial hiccup with a bit of a delay to the order, Goldcross came through with the goods - cheaper than an online australian website, and without a delivery charge. A positive, store based shopping experience.

Now to fit the buckle to the shoe and get back on the bike.

Ultrasound indicated there may be a cracked bone as well as ligament damage, but they just said 3 weeks of rest. 3 weeks to the day (yesterday) and the shoulder is feeling much better.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:59 am

Sorry to hear about your stack. Happened to me about six weeks ago on the two towns trail. The people who design bike paths love to add corners turning on and off bridges and then tread them with a slippery surface, I'm not sure why but it could be that they mistakenly believe that the corners will slow traffic down prior to the bridge therefore making it safer? Either that or they're cyclist hating super villians.