Thinking of replacing Mavic Equipe with Pro Lite Bracciano

GasCyclist

Thinking of replacing Mavic Equipe with Pro Lite Bracciano

Postby GasCyclist » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:53 am

Hey Guys,

Currently have 2012 Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels that came with my Cannondale Supersix. Was just wondering if there would be a big difference between these and the Bracciano's? Tried to do some google searches but unable to find any decent comparisons between the two.

If I was to get the pro lites I would be combining them with the schwalbe ultremo zx tyres.

Just wanted to hear your opinions to see whether it would be worth it.

Cheers
Trek 1.5, Cannondale Supersix, Specialized Langster

Ozkaban

Re: Thinking of replacing Mavic Equipe with Pro Lite Braccia

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:40 am

I replaced Mavic Alsium Race's with braccianos and there's a world of difference.

Not sure about the Equipes though.

GasCyclist

Postby GasCyclist » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:04 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly sure the Alsiums are lower spec to the Equipes.

I guess chances of getting a direct comparison is hard without riding them.
Trek 1.5, Cannondale Supersix, Specialized Langster

liamb

Postby liamb » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:43 pm

I cant recommend the Prolite's enough. I have put around 2000km on mine with no issues what so ever. None of those k's were on special smooth roads. I have hit a few pot holes with no issues. I checked them for true about 2 weeks ago and they were almost perfect, not enough to bother re truing. I ride with a few !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! who buy the most expensive of everything and I always feel I get more bang for buck out of my wheels.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:49 pm

GasCyclist wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly sure the Alsiums are lower spec to the Equipes.

I guess chances of getting a direct comparison is hard without riding them.
Yup, you're right. I bought the braccianos as an upgrade so they would want to better. I was surprised by how much though. It does make it hard to compare...

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:53 am

Mavic ksyriums have a rim weight of about 500g, the pro Lite Bracciano has a weight of about 450g, all else being equal (which are not) the Bracciano's will be 100g lighter. I'd personally go custom, but there's not too much wrong with the Pro-Lite's if you are an average weight rider. I would personally keep the Ksyrium's for commuting and then get myself some special event wheels

colaiacw

Postby colaiacw » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:58 am

liamb wrote:I cant recommend the Prolite's enough. I have put around 2000km on mine with no issues what so ever. None of those k's were on special smooth roads. I have hit a few pot holes with no issues. I checked them for true about 2 weeks ago and they were almost perfect, not enough to bother re truing. I ride with a few wonderful people who buy the most expensive of everything and I always feel I get more bang for buck out of my wheels.

Bill
+1 to the Prolite's. Done many k's on mine and have had no issues.
Merida Scultura Evo 909 Full Dura Ace (Weekender) & Merida HFS 904 Com Full Ultegra (Trainer)

When you feel yourself struggling up a hill, just get over it!

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:59 am

I'd personally expect wheels to have no issues, I don't know why people are impressed by that :?

colaiacw

Postby colaiacw » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:27 pm

What like wheels that don’t break spokes, come easily out of true (or out of the shop wobbly) or don’t have Sh*thouse breaking surfaces and pre rusted hub bearings?

mmm…Rather have a reliable set of wheels like the Prolite's.
Merida Scultura Evo 909 Full Dura Ace (Weekender) & Merida HFS 904 Com Full Ultegra (Trainer)

When you feel yourself struggling up a hill, just get over it!

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:39 pm

colaiacw wrote:What like wheels that don’t break spokes, come easily out of true (or out of the shop wobbly) or don’t have Sh*thouse breaking surfaces and pre rusted hub bearings?
I'd think thats reasonable to expect from a set of wheels. Any less then its faulty by my standards. That said, a bad braking surface may be due to stuff getting stuck in your brake pads, breaking spokes and wheels coming out of true would be due to a bad wheel build or your too heavy for it (usually the first)

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:39 pm

I replaced Mavics Equipes with Braccianos.

There is a remarkable difference between the two with the Braccianos feeling far superior.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:06 pm

usernameforme wrote:I'd personally expect wheels to have no issues, I don't know why people are impressed by that :?
How did you become an expert wheel builder if your wheels have no issues?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:34 pm

jacks1071 wrote: How did you become an expert wheel builder if your wheels have no issues?
Sorry but I don't understand your question :oops: , are you asking if the first few wheels I built were faulty or if I started wheelbuilding because I was tired of faulty wheels? Or something else? in answer to the two suspected meanings of that q, I started wheelbuilding because I was curious and my first few wheels were always a bit on the conservative side.

I'm no expert wheel-builder either, experienced, yes but expert no :wink: