Bike fitting question from Roadie to MTB

booge

Bike fitting question from Roadie to MTB

Postby booge » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:11 am

I've had a Retul fit for my road bike. I have all the print outs with measurements etc. My question is :- Can these measurements be applied fairly accurately to setting myself up on my hardtail MTB? Or is it a fairly different type of fit? I'm not a serious off roader, mostly commute, some off road fun.

silentbutdeadly

Re: Bike fitting question from Roadie to MTB

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:37 am

Your measurements can be used but not those that apply to the bike itself. MTB normally has a shorter seat to bar relationship and shorter seat to BB relationship. But a good place to start is to take about 20mm off the seat/BB measure (you need to be slightly short legged - if you stand on the pedals and slide yourself off and on the back of the seat without snagging genitalia...that's good) and perhaps 30 to 50mm off the saddle to bar. Then fiddle accordingly...

Competetive Cyclist has a calculator for MTB. Try that too.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Jean

Re: Bike fitting question from Roadie to MTB

Postby Jean » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:27 pm

The fit for a pure XC MTB (racing) fit is not too different to a roadie setup, but there will be differences. The more 'aggressive', 'trail' and 'gravity' focussed you are with MTB, the more differences there will be.

I use an identical saddle-BB measurement on both my road bike and MTB, and feel fine with that, but many people don't and prefer to run a bit lower on their MTB.

As suggested, putting your details into the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator will give you some figures to play around with.