What do you do for a change - Outside the daily grind

ColinOldnCranky

What do you do for a change - Outside the daily grind

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:42 pm

This is the one weekend of the year where I get to ride a lot out of my comfort zone.

Anyway, it occurs to me that many riders will have something involving moving off the daily grind. Perhaps just doing something different to the day-to-day and that you look forward to. Or some serious movement from the comfort zone. Or somewhere in between.

And I imagine much of it will be entertaining to the rest of us or highly unusual. So, my challenge - tell us what it is. Point to a blog ot some pics and, maybe, give some one a flashbulb moment "Wow, I never thought of that, I wonder if I..."

================================================
And to get the ball rolling (and the thing that got me thinking of this thread)... next post
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Re: What do you do for a change - Outside the daily grind

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:47 pm

Once a year I head to Nanga bush camp with my more edgy friends. It's all good fun. Sharing, sitting around a fire, drinking, sleeping, exploring, acting a bit like hippies of another era.

Additionally for me it is the one time that I do some decent distances over rough roads, tree roots, scaling loose gravel knolls and gullies or risking slippery grass slopes. Most of the riding is of the type where I have to focus on every movement and what is immediately in front of me while planning a few metres ahead. Plenty of opportunity to make a goose of myself in a fairly public way too thogh, so far, I have not drawn any blood.

It builds up skills and works the quads to the max. This time I hope to remember to get a few strangers to take pics with my phone. I may put a few up in this thread later.

My daughter has instructed me to take her unicycle down for a friend who hopefully has skills to foloow me or maybe lead me to more challenging stuff. I don't get to ride in company very often so another reason to look forward to it.

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:58 pm

Going bush on a unicycle - brave!

A buddy of mine and I have taken to riding the westpac helicopter mountain bike challenges. I suck at mountain biking but the off-road stuff sure gets you out of your comfort zone and a night camping and talking trash is good for the soul.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Well, it rained and it rained and it rained. I got one ride in with a spell in the bush and then some road work. After that the weekend was a bummer - Rain rain and more rain. :(