Gong Ride 2012

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:17 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Cool. Me too. I've been doing it for years. Keep an eye out for me and also Wayfarer (who is also a Dave) on the mobile support crew. I'm sure we'll pass each other multiple times on the way down. I usually catch the bus on the way back with the bike in the truck. I tried riding back once, but by the time I got down there and turned around to head back, the wind was horrid. Catching the bus is great after a 7 hour ride down is great (yes, it can take that long when you're stopping all the time).

92 km, 7 hours = 13.14 km/h - yep I think I can ride that fast :D

I figure that by the time I add the 10 ks from home to Sydney Park & back, that will probably do me for the day.
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 4082
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

by BNA » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:54 pm

BNA
 

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:54 pm

find_bruce wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Cool. Me too. I've been doing it for years. Keep an eye out for me and also Wayfarer (who is also a Dave) on the mobile support crew. I'm sure we'll pass each other multiple times on the way down. I usually catch the bus on the way back with the bike in the truck. I tried riding back once, but by the time I got down there and turned around to head back, the wind was horrid. Catching the bus is great after a 7 hour ride down is great (yes, it can take that long when you're stopping all the time).

92 km, 7 hours = 13.14 km/h - yep I think I can ride that fast :D

I figure that by the time I add the 10 ks from home to Sydney Park & back, that will probably do me for the day.


Actually more like 50 km at 30+ kph, 25 km at 20+ kph and the rest at about 5 kph with twenty or thirty service calls. It's taxing.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby coops » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:45 am

Make sure you check for trackwork if you're planning to catch a train to the start. e.g. Seems western line will have buses replacing trains Parramatta to Strathfield :roll:
User avatar
coops
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:53 am
Location: Lalor Park

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:13 am

Because of the group im with is not starting till 7 so therefore am expecting a pretty congested run down to the gong. I might ride the fixie and get the train back.
Image
User avatar
jimsheedy
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby Fresh » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:19 am

Is anyone from Lane Cove/North Sydney/Crows Nest etc doing this? I new to Syds and need to get from LC to Sydney Park Sunday morning...I could ride it I guess, but what other options are there? Train from Chatswood to Redfern then ride to Sydney Park? Will I get mobbed in Redfern at 6am Sunday morning?
Fresh
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:25 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:12 am

Mobbed by who ?
Image
User avatar
jimsheedy
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby Fresh » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:31 am

jimsheedy wrote:Mobbed by who ?


I dunno, thugs I guess. Everyone tells me never to go near the place.
Fresh
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:25 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby familyguy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:38 pm

Fresh wrote:
jimsheedy wrote:Mobbed by who ?


I dunno, thugs I guess. Everyone tells me never to go near the place.


Nothing to worry about. Get out at Redfern Station, turn south, not far to the start.

Looks like I'll be extending mine over a century with a few km to the start plus a partial return. Not going to crack the imperial though!

Jim
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5090
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:48 pm

Fresh wrote:Is anyone from Lane Cove/North Sydney/Crows Nest etc doing this? I new to Syds and need to get from LC to Sydney Park Sunday morning...I could ride it I guess, but what other options are there? Train from Chatswood to Redfern then ride to Sydney Park? Will I get mobbed in Redfern at 6am Sunday morning?


What's your start time? Our team is going via train. Half are from lane cove the others from north Ryde & hunters hill. Your best bet would be Chatswood station. I think my friends are parking in nth Sydney and getting the train from there to St Peters (change at Redfern).
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 3041
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:19 pm

Fresh wrote:Is anyone from Lane Cove/North Sydney/Crows Nest etc doing this? I new to Syds and need to get from LC to Sydney Park Sunday morning...I could ride it I guess, but what other options are there? Train from Chatswood to Redfern then ride to Sydney Park? Will I get mobbed in Redfern at 6am Sunday morning?


I'm riding from my place (Denistone) to the start line if you need a guide.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby Fresh » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:00 pm

queequeg wrote:What's your start time? Our team is going via train. Half are from lane cove the others from north Ryde & hunters hill. Your best bet would be Chatswood station. I think my friends are parking in nth Sydney and getting the train from there to St Peters (change at Redfern).


I dont know, I'm still waiting for the info back to arrive in the post (I registered last week). I think I chose 3-4 hours...


bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Fresh wrote:Is anyone from Lane Cove/North Sydney/Crows Nest etc doing this? I new to Syds and need to get from LC to Sydney Park Sunday morning...I could ride it I guess, but what other options are there? Train from Chatswood to Redfern then ride to Sydney Park? Will I get mobbed in Redfern at 6am Sunday morning?


I'm riding from my place (Denistone) to the start line if you need a guide.


Could be a goer! Which route will you take into the city? Concord Rd then East, or through to North Syds then South?
Fresh
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:25 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby SmellyTofu » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Out of interest, which route would you take from Denistone? I'm torn between Cooks River or just direct-ish through Five Dock, Parramatta Rd (should be OK at that time of the day) and then to St Peters.
User avatar
SmellyTofu
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:20 pm

I started making a map, but it took too long. I will run my Garmin over it on Sunday and post one then, but before that here's basically how I go:

I go through meadowbank, putney, across the bridge to rhodes, through the park there, past Concord hospital and Dame Edith Walker hospital, through Concord, back streets to Canada Bay, through Five Dock, Lilly Field Road, across Rozelle bay, through Harold Park, up to Sydney Uni, along Parra road then down City Road/King St all the way to Sydney Park

I evolved this as a general purpose any time city route when I was working at Syd Uni, Notre Dame and other places at the Broadway end of George St.

I'm happy to have company on the way out. Can meet at West Ryde shops or station and show the way. I'm riding mobile support and think my start time is 7:30, but I'm happy to get there much earlier.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Fresh wrote:
jimsheedy wrote:Mobbed by who ?


I dunno, thugs I guess. Everyone tells me never to go near the place.


Don't believe the hype
Image
User avatar
jimsheedy
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby Cossie Phil » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:04 pm

Is anyone riding to the start from Liverpool? I've got a 6am start from Sydney Park?

Regards,

Phil.
Image
Cossie Phil
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 5:35 pm
Location: Hoxton Park

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Fresh wrote:
queequeg wrote:What's your start time? Our team is going via train. Half are from lane cove the others from north Ryde & hunters hill. Your best bet would be Chatswood station. I think my friends are parking in nth Sydney and getting the train from there to St Peters (change at Redfern).


I dont know, I'm still waiting for the info back to arrive in the post (I registered last week). I think I chose 3-4 hours...


bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Fresh wrote:Is anyone from Lane Cove/North Sydney/Crows Nest etc doing this? I new to Syds and need to get from LC to Sydney Park Sunday morning...I could ride it I guess, but what other options are there? Train from Chatswood to Redfern then ride to Sydney Park? Will I get mobbed in Redfern at 6am Sunday morning?


I'm riding from my place (Denistone) to the start line if you need a guide.


Could be a goer! Which route will you take into the city? Concord Rd then East, or through to North Syds then South?


I am going to be riding from Dural. I haven't decided on how far to rude before hopping on the train, as my friends are not very fast riders, and the 90km is going to be hard enough for them.
If you only registered last week, your start time will probably be close to the tail end. I have a 7am start, so if that is not too early for you I might be riding through lane cove to nth Sydney to meet up with my team at nth Sydney station. I still have to find out final plans for my other team members.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 3041
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby SmellyTofu » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:19 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:I started making a map, but it took too long. I will run my Garmin over it on Sunday and post one then, but before that here's basically how I go:

I go through meadowbank, putney, across the bridge to rhodes, through the park there, past Concord hospital and Dame Edith Walker hospital, through Concord, back streets to Canada Bay, through Five Dock, Lilly Field Road, across Rozelle bay, through Harold Park, up to Sydney Uni, along Parra road then down City Road/King St all the way to Sydney Park

I evolved this as a general purpose any time city route when I was working at Syd Uni, Notre Dame and other places at the Broadway end of George St.

I'm happy to have company on the way out. Can meet at West Ryde shops or station and show the way. I'm riding mobile support and think my start time is 7:30, but I'm happy to get there much earlier.


Interesting route. Hadn't thought of that way. I was thinking Cooks River to Tempe and ride back north on the Princess Highway as a mostly-off street alternative and an easy warm up prior to the ride.

I start at 6am but I'll see what the other guys in my team are doing.
User avatar
SmellyTofu
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby meridaman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:54 pm

Hey all, anyone suggest a route back from the Gong to Prestons???
meridaman
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby familyguy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:02 pm

Weather is looking decent enough at this stage:
BOM wrote:Sydney area
Min 13
Max 23
Partly cloudy. Winds north to northeasterly and light tending east to northeasterly 15 to 25 km/h during the day.
Dangerous surf conditions, hazardous for coastal activities such as swimming, surfing and rock fishing, are expected.


Last part should make for a bit of a spectacle off Seacliff.

Jim
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5090
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby coops » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:42 pm

meridaman wrote:Hey all, anyone suggest a route back from the Gong to Prestons???


Spiza already posted a strava route to this thread.
User avatar
coops
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:53 am
Location: Lalor Park

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:27 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Apparently I am acceptable as part of the mobile support crew.

Better make sure my own bike is in good nick- broke 2 spokes today


Cool. Me too. I've been doing it for years. Keep an eye out for me and also Wayfarer (who is also a Dave) on the mobile support crew. I'm sure we'll pass each other multiple times on the way down. I usually catch the bus on the way back with the bike in the truck. I tried riding back once, but by the time I got down there and turned around to head back, the wind was horrid. Catching the bus is great after a 7 hour ride down is great (yes, it can take that long when you're stopping all the time).

It turns out that I am completely unreliable- whole bunch if work landed on my desk today so I will be spending my weekend doing that instead :(

So if anyone is complaining that they can't find Bruce, feel free to either

(1) disavow any knowledge of me or

(2) say you always suspected I was a bludger
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 4082
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby jimsheedy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:45 pm

familyguy wrote:Weather is looking decent enough at this stage:
BOM wrote:Sydney area
Min 13
Max 23
Partly cloudy. Winds north to northeasterly and light tending east to northeasterly 15 to 25 km/h during the day.
Dangerous surf conditions, hazardous for coastal activities such as swimming, surfing and rock fishing, are expected.


Last part should make for a bit of a spectacle off Seacliff.

Jim



Small NE wind swell plus those beaches are south facing. Nothing to see here folks. Just a painful ride back
Image
User avatar
jimsheedy
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby Fresh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:34 pm

I have a 7:30 start. bigfriendlyvegan that route is a little out of the way for me, so I might just ride to Chatswood and get the train.

So getting to / off at Redfern is going to be OK? Not so much worried about me, more so losing my bike!

Otherwise I'll just get off at Central and ride down.
Fresh
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:25 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby jimsheedy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:44 pm

Fresh wrote:I have a 7:30 start. bigfriendlyvegan that route is a little out of the way for me, so I might just ride to Chatswood and get the train.

So getting to / off at Redfern is going to be OK? Not so much worried about me, more so losing my bike!

Otherwise I'll just get off at Central and ride down.


You'll be fine. It's just a suburb of Sydney. Its not grand theft auto.
Image
User avatar
jimsheedy
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Gong Ride 2012

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:56 pm

jimsheedy wrote:
Fresh wrote:I have a 7:30 start. bigfriendlyvegan that route is a little out of the way for me, so I might just ride to Chatswood and get the train.

So getting to / off at Redfern is going to be OK? Not so much worried about me, more so losing my bike!

Otherwise I'll just get off at Central and ride down.


You'll be fine. It's just a suburb of Sydney. Its not grand theft auto.


+1 :D
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers