Cycling Cloting (shellware/softshell)

marty_one

Cycling Cloting (shellware/softshell)

Postby marty_one » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:16 am

Hi All,

I know its becoming that time of year where the need for warmer clothes is becoming less. I still am interested in how warm tops that come under the shellware category keep you (IE: the GroundEffect Turbine Jacket). For me I easily get quiet cold on rides even in 15 degree days, so I have to layer up a bit to keep warm.

Also what about the Gore line of clothing? How good are they, I want to be able to keep warm without having to wear multiple layers.

I will also be commuting a lot more soon because work is moving closer to the city and I like to avoid PT as much as possible. The upside to this is work is giving employees who choose to ride a bonus to spend on a bike and/or clothing.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

TraceyG

Re: Cycling Cloting (shellware/softshell)

Postby TraceyG » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:22 am

I'll be interested in replies to this one. I don't feel cold on my commute but after I have a hot shower and bowl of porridge, I then get really chilled. Thinking perhaps I am getting colder on my ride than I actually realise!

dude18

Postby dude18 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:37 pm

I have the gore phantom 2.0
It has removable long sleeves, which means you can use it as jersey only. The zipper on the removable sleeves can be opened partially to create an underarm vent. The jersey/jacket itself is heavier than I expected. But it is truly breathable, windproof and water resistant at the same time.
For short rides or in case of unexpected wind or rain, I woukd suggest getting the cheaper jackets that are basically made of thin synthetic materials. They are lighter and can be packed quite small in a pocket.

P.S. the one I bought was hi viz fluoro yellow.

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:42 pm

Well I bite the bullet and bought the Torpedo7 Softshell Jacket which arrived today. Got it on special for $29. Gotta say for the average quality that I have come to expect from Torpedo7 this is definitely one of the better items and I think that it will work extremely well for those sub 10 degree mornings. I will post again after I have had a chance to use it. I don't think that I will need to layer up much at all.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"