newbie starting out

daydreamer

newbie starting out

Postby daydreamer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:46 pm

hi everyone

I've decided to join this forum as I've made a decision to dust off my poor bike that has been sitting in my back shed for way too long. My goal is to get fit enough to bike to the beach from Walkerville (where I live) all the way along linear park. I know for a lot of you this would be a breeze but I am taking things a step at a time as I am not very fit. I am a 35 year old female who isn't overweight but really lacks motivation. I think reaching this age has prompted to look at life differently and the only exercise I have only really every enjoyed is cycling because it doesn't have to be too strenuous and you can be outside with nature which is one of my true loves. I will try and keep this thread up to date. Now to dust off the cobwebs, and pump up my tires!

usernameforme

Re: newbie starting out

Postby usernameforme » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Welcome! good to hear you've decided to give biking a go, you'll love it :wink:

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:56 pm

Great to have another rider onboard. Stay safe enjoy.
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks guys

There were a few problems with one of the gear shifting down but they all seem right now after shifting them all the way through and back down again. Pumped my tyres up and gave the bike a good brush off and greased the chain. Just come back from going around the block and it was sweet! Might try Linear park tomorrow, this is so awesome wish I had done this earlier! Heres my humble bike after being dusted off, its nothing special but its enough for me.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:23 pm

Excellent work !

You will not regret the benefits of cycling.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Starting is always the hardest. If you're able to, get yourself into regular commuting and you'll have the best reason to get back on your trusty steed. I have a work colleague looking at getting into commuting. Stay on here and I can see if he wants a riding buddy.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Roinik wrote:Starting is always the hardest. If you're able to, get yourself into regular commuting and you'll have the best reason to get back on your trusty steed. I have a work colleague looking at getting into commuting. Stay on here and I can see if he wants a riding buddy.
Thanks Roinik

I do work in the city on Flinders street - I have biked into the city in the past along linear park and that took me a while to get fit enough to be able to achieve that, but I can now use the evenings to start riding along that section of the river. I havent been on my bike for at least 15 months - I went through a bad period of very poor motivation at the time for certain reasons. My biggest fear is riding on roads but I will try to get over that... I will start timing how long it takes to bike to the city along the river, I am definitely no way ready to do it all in one hit just yet!

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:44 am

Well done Daydreamer. It's an addictive sport/hobby, once you've got a few rides under you belt you'll be hooked. Take it easy at first, build up fitness slowly, enjoy the great spring weather and the beautiful Torrens path. There will be plenty of people willing to ride with you once you want to tackle the roads, that might give you more confidence.
Go to Adelaide Cyclists and keep an eye out for the next twilight ride, it sounds perfect for you.
http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/events/ ... start-time" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Datto1600

Postby Datto1600 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:38 pm

I got back into cycling about 3 months ago after not riding a bike for 14 yrs since high school. I started out riding on linear park too, with some short rides of about 10kms. I was abit worried about riding on the roads but have now started to venture out on sat and sun mornings when the traffic is light. I've slowly built it up to 25-30kms with out needing to stop at an average speed of about 24kms per hour.

It certainly is addictive as already mentioned. Enjoy it and good luck!

Datto
Specialized Tarmac sl 2
Specialized Carve Expert

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:49 pm

welcome daydreamer. Great to have you with us. Linear park is a great place to get back into cycling safely. Take each ride as it comes and eventually your confidence will grow to take on some of the main roads with bike lanes.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:38 pm

So I managed to get onto linear park this sunday I didnt get anywhere near the city but I had a really good time and was a bit puffed. I am aiming to get to Hackney road next time! There are some up and down sections that were a bit of a struggle but i am proud of myself :)

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:43 pm

daydreamer wrote:So I managed to get onto linear park this sunday I didnt get anywhere near the city but I had a really good time and was a bit puffed. I am aiming to get to Hackney road next time! There are some up and down sections that were a bit of a struggle but i am proud of myself :)
Well done. Linear park is a great track learners. Gets busy sometimes. But provides a few little challenges for new riders. Going further toward hackney road takes u past the zoo which is cool as you ride past coz you can hear the animals calling out.

Keep going, your doing well
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD