HEALING frame number registry

bicyclepassion

HEALING frame number registry

Postby bicyclepassion » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:07 pm

I would be happy to start a registry of Healing frame numbers and details if members would like to post the details here on the forum.
If we get enough numbers, some with known purchase dates, we may be able to attribute approximate production dates to the Healing bikes as they turn up.
Warren

Hamster

Re: HEALING frame number registry

Postby Hamster » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:14 pm

My Healing has Williams cranks with the code “AW” which makes them a 1956 manufacture. The bike has a frame number of 75719. No letters in the number.

Hope this helps.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Paul Watson

Postby Paul Watson » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:13 pm

Would be good if people could also include pictures showing frame details and any known history of their Healing.
I'll get some photos together and add my Healing in a day or two (I'll need permission from a moderator as I don't have enough posts yet).
Last edited by Paul Watson on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Mine is 63267A, dated 1952 by the Williams cranks.

My suspicion is that Healing frame numbering is a straight numeric sequence, ie higher number=newer, lower number=older. A few more numbers might prove or disprove that theory.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:51 pm

Here are some more Healings:
2332. Road racing frame with early forward facing rear fork ends 1930's. Two small plain 'H's brazed to head tube. Keyhole lugs and foward facing ends would indicate a 1930's road racing frame. Could be original paint.

10788. Ladies loop bar 28" frame. One large fancy H brazed to head tube. I have assumed 1920's for this one.

14759. Full chrome plated 28" road racing frame, with early forward facing rear fork ends. Very fancy lugs. Two small plain 'H's on head tube. Appears to be a very high end early 1930's raod racing frame.

57076. Very fancy road racing frame. Chrome ends, chrome Fancy lugs. Original black paint with white bands. Very large 'Healing' on main bar, and lots of pinstriping. Osgear ends and braze on brackets everywhere for Simplex Osgear mechanism. One large brazed on fancy H on head tube. (Chrome on H left exposed) I think late 1940's top line or 'team' bike. One of the fanciest bikes I have ever seen from any maker from the osgear period.

71091. Race frame with 'track' ends, very light tubing, braze on bracket under BB for osgear, original paint, pinned on chrome H on head tube. Typical country race bike, ridden on track and road. Ridden with gears in 1949 Warrnambool by 18 year old. Believed to be a fairly new bike then.

98853. Track frame, built for singles, 27" wheels just squeeze in, not drilled for brakes, assumed early 1950's.

The frame with 2 small H's on the head tube may in fact be Holland's, but one has Healing decals, the chrome one has no decals. The frame numbers on these is in the same place as all the healings, that is, on the right hand side of the seat lug, just above the seatstay junction.

It would be good to know when the pinned on chrome H's first appeared. I'm pretty sure that the large fancy braze-on H's continued on the top bikes for a long time after the chrome H was introduced.

Keep the numbers and details coming.

Warren

Blockchain

Postby Blockchain » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:08 pm

Here are a few more numbers for the mix.

41409 circa 1936 fixed wheel racing bike chrome pinned on head badge.

81254 circa 1939 track frame very light weight brazed on H for head badge.

85141 circa 1955 track frame with chrome pinned on head badge.

6794 (yes four didgets only) circa 1958 track frame very high quality with braze on H for head badge.

All my Healings are arguably better build quatity than corresponding Malvern racing frames - that should cause some trouble. Yes I do have team quality racing Five Stars to compare.

Good luck trying to sort it and good on you for trying.

Cheers.

Blockchain

Postby Blockchain » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Gooday.

Interesting thing - the pre mid 1950's Healing Track frames I have seen and have owned have no provision for brake mounting - as you would expect but the later top quality ones do. Mine has a curved rear stay bridge with proper brake mounting lug on top. If you study the later pictures of Mockridge on the track you can spot this on his team frames. The one remaining Mochridge bike does have this feature.
I wonder why.

Cheers.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:37 pm

Paul Watson wrote:Would be good if people could also include pictures showing frame details and any known history of their Healing.
I'll get some photos together and add my Healing in a day or two (I'll need permission from a moderator as I don't have enough posts yet).
PM me links to the photos once you have them and ill edit them into your post for you.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:24 pm

My Healing frame:
Gents roadster type frame. Plastic H. Horizontal rear open dropouts with mud guard eyelets.
No components. BTM tubing decal on seat tube. A smaller frame size.

Frame no. X11963

cycles gitane
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

tburg

Postby tburg » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi
I am interested in restoring my dad's bike he had purchased approx 1936.
It is a Healing Track bike and would like to know where to look for information about it.
The decal pin striping is in fair condition, and would like to know if there is some guru here in South Australia that could guide me through restoration process.

Thanks
Last edited by tburg on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tburg

Postby tburg » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:49 pm

I have a Healing that my Dad had. From conversing with my Uncle he bought it approx 1936.
The number on the frame is 40462.
I have linked some pictures.
I am interested in its restoration so any information will be helpfull.

Suffolk

Postby Suffolk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:53 pm

Could this be an early Healing frame..No 7806.7, crank is a Williams dated 1934

fairpod

Postby fairpod » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Hi! What's your thoughts on the vintage of this sweet frame?
http://hobart.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-fo ... Z325994901

Ozrattler

Postby Ozrattler » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Boo All!

Have an old Healing frame that I am considering disposing of....or patching up. Frame number is HL7602. It is also marked with C-113 and is a "Club Racer" - painted on etc. It matches those of racing frames for Healing bikes that I have read elsewhere.

Thoughts please?

Have fun!

John.

fathof3

Postby fathof3 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Ozrattler,

You could patch up and ride a very interesting piece of history. If that's not your bag, it's the kind of bike I've had an eye out for. I'm an opportunist though. Any pictures to mull over or admire ?

Hedley

AussieFly

Postby AussieFly » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:20 pm

I picked up a Healing Loop frame ladies bike from Adelaide last week.
Fantastic original condition. They guy I bought it off found it in the hard rubbish up the road from his house.

I am restoring it for my client who was looking for a old classic bike for riding to the shops etc. Currently all chrome is at the platers and will be starting on the rest of it in the new year.

I am told this is a 30's model which from what I have read online is pretty accurate.

Pics at Flickr on post below.
Last edited by AussieFly on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:52 pm

just picked up one myself, gents roadster, 1956 Williams cranks, H60643 on BB and 84374 on seat tube.
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

AussieFly

Postby AussieFly » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:25 pm

jhea57

Postby jhea57 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:46 pm

Hi
I have an old Healing track bike.
I have dated the williams cranks at 1954 but suspect from the very fancy lug work that the frame is from an earlier time.
the serial number is stamped at the top of the seat tube and is either 8103 or 3018 as the 3 is upside down so not sure how to read it.
it also has "-113" on the underside of the bottom bracket.
its a pure track bike so fixed gear with no holes for brakes.
the headset and bottom bracket are bayliss wylie
the rims have "made in italy" stamped on them but not sure which brand.
the hubs are bayliss wylie track hubs with large alloy flanges

cheers jhea57

tricycleboy

Postby tricycleboy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:10 am

Hi, everyone. trying to get my bike uploaded and cant work out how to upload images. anyone??
sorry for interupting ha

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:56 am

tricycleboy wrote:Hi, everyone. trying to get my bike uploaded and cant work out how to upload images. anyone??
sorry for interupting ha
happy to help
instructions for posting photos

jhea57

Postby jhea57 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:13 pm

just thought I would post some photos of a healing frame restore.
I decided to preserve the original paint and decal as best I could so after a good clean I gave it a clear coat.
it came up a treat and shows off the original colours....
now to build it up..

r0adrunn3r

Postby r0adrunn3r » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:22 pm

I would like to get a rough date on this Healing Roadster.

Here is a link to some pictures of it
My Healing Roadster frame pictures

The serial number on the seat tube is 2588.

On the BB there is the number 210 cast on it.

On paintwork on the underside gives a good idea what it would have looked like originally. Each tube was royal blue at the lugs. A red section was painted in the middle and white pin-striping.

The hand-painted decals are in pretty good condition. Except for the Triangular shaped one at the top of the seat tube. Does any one know what it would have looked like? Seems to me it could have been the tubing manufacturer.

Cheers,

Tony

gryphon

Postby gryphon » Wed May 08, 2013 3:57 pm

My recent find at last weekend’s farmer’s auction in Lismore – a lovely old Healing Men’s commuter bike. In great original condition bar the saddle I put some new tyres on today and took it for a very pleasurable ride. Was dry stored most of its life so no serious rust issues though original red paint and light blue pin striping is faded. It has an Eadie rear coaster hub and has no markings on the chain wheel. Serial number on the BB is H3571 with the number ‘9’ engraved on the end. Cast in the middle of the BB is the number ‘840’ or ‘040’. The number on the seat stay is ‘69833’. I guestimate it to be of 1930’s vintage though any more information would be appreciated. I’m going to ride it around town for a while as it is wonderful just how it is.

siennatrack

Postby siennatrack » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:34 pm

bicyclepassion wrote:I would be happy to start a registry of Healing frame numbers and details if members would like to post the details here on the forum.
If we get enough numbers, some with known purchase dates, we may be able to attribute approximate production dates to the Healing bikes as they turn up.
Warren
Here is the serial No on an old healing being thrown out that i found before the dump got it 30985 williams crank has AL stamped on it will post photo soon