Questions about gearing and parts for fixie build

george-bob

Questions about gearing and parts for fixie build

Postby george-bob » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Hey there,
I just snagged a (very nice) looking frame from the market section, it is a vintage track frame. I will be building it up as a fixie to compliment my road bike and give me a bike i can lock up with less fear.

so first up this is the frame i bought:

thus far i only have the frame (which will arrive next week) so i need all the other bits! but this leaves a lot of questions:

-where is the best place to order fixie parts from?
-can anyone recommend a good set of wheels (preferably with a flip flop hub)?
-what gearing will be suitable for riding on undulating terrain? my friend rides a 48/16 and likes it, is that a good starting point?
-the bike needs long reach brakes, is there any particular brand i should be looking for?
-i really like the look of quill stems, is there any reason i shouldnt use one?

p.s. if anyone has any useful parts on hand they are looking to sell PM me

Thank!

bychosis

Re: Questions about gearing and parts for fixie build

Postby bychosis » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Is this for a cheap fixie, or a good one?
Cheap fixie wheels from Reid Cycles, or wheels and parts from cyclingdeal
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:38 pm

i have been wondering that myself. i think i want good drivetrain components, but maybe a heavy/cheap wheelset to start with? as long as the wheels are good and stiff i dont care about the weight. is this a good strategy? how bad are reid wheels?

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:58 pm

Pump peg, big clearances, and guard eyelets! It's not a track frame mate.Horizontal rear fork ends do not a track bike make. Possibly made for 27 inch wheels so the 700c wheelsets you may get will require a longer reach caliper on the braking side of things.

Would look nice as coaster brake roadster style build perhaps. Probably was originally something like that anyway.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:23 pm

Yep, not a trackie because of the pump lugs. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:50 pm

my mistake. doesnt matter anyway as i will be wanting brakes ;)

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:56 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Yep, not a trackie because of the pump lugs. :wink:

Foo
Just noticed the rear bridge, and chain stay bridge both have brackets for guards too. Hard to tell but the top tube looks longer than the seat tube by a bit too. Puts it more in the roadster territory than even a path racer.
How about coaster brake, honjo fenders, north road bars with leather grips, leather saddle and a porteur rack?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:08 pm

george-bob wrote:
-what gearing will be suitable for riding on undulating terrain? my friend rides a 48/16 and likes it, is that a good starting point?
-the bike needs long reach brakes, is there any particular brand i should be looking for?
1) As above, Reid for wheels, cyclingdeal dot com dot au for pretty much everything.

2) To the best of my knowledge Reid wheels (and the ones from cyclingdeal) are Stars rims on Quando hubs, that's what i have on my favourite singlespeed and it absolutely flies, haven't had any problems at all with them.

3) Gearing depends on the rider but i would recommend 46-16, unless you are going to be sitting on 38kmh+ for extended periods. For me 46-16 gives a really comfortable cadence at 32-34, i've had it up to 60 once but that hurts!

4) I have Tektro long reach brakes, cheap and work perfectly. Tektro brake levers are really comfortable too.

5) Nope. If you use track bars with tight curves you might need a stem with a removable faceplate like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quill-Stems- ... 500wt_1054" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: cranks, the ones from cyclingdeal should be fine, i have Lasco made cranks on my SS and haven't had a problem. Nice and cheap too.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:24 am

ldrcycles wrote:
george-bob wrote:
1) As above, Reid for wheels, cyclingdeal dot com dot au for pretty much everything.

2) To the best of my knowledge Reid wheels (and the ones from cyclingdeal) are Stars rims on Quando hubs, that's what i have on my favourite singlespeed and it absolutely flies, haven't had any problems at all with them.

3) Gearing depends on the rider but i would recommend 46-16, unless you are going to be sitting on 38kmh+ for extended periods. For me 46-16 gives a really comfortable cadence at 32-34, i've had it up to 60 once but that hurts!

4) I have Tektro long reach brakes, cheap and work perfectly. Tektro brake levers are really comfortable too.

5) Nope. If you use track bars with tight curves you might need a stem with a removable faceplate like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quill-Stems- ... 500wt_1054" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: cranks, the ones from cyclingdeal should be fine, i have Lasco made cranks on my SS and haven't had a problem. Nice and cheap too.
Thank you very much! this is really, really helpful, i appreciate it :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:39 am

No worries :) . Forgot to mention as well, if you're using 700c wheels on that frame (which would originally have had either 27" or 28") you should have plenty of room to fit 28mm or maybe 32mm tyres, they are really comfortable and you're pretty well guaranteed never to get a puncture. Make sure you post pics as you progress!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:55 pm

that is an excellent idea! a smooth ride will be rather nice.