A year in the life of a wannabe racer.

ldrcycles

Re: royal blood

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:09 am

Yes yes YES!! That infuriating wind hasn't eased at all but i went out anyway, smashed myself and job done :D .

http://app.strava.com/rides/25892829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ldrcycles

Re: A year in the life of a wannabe racer.

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:06 am

So i have good news and bad news.
The good news is i nabbed another KOM on the way home from work yesterday (downhill segment so average speed of 72.4kmh isn't quite as impressive as it sounds) and was all set to try for 3 KOMs in 3 days.

Then i woke up at 2:30 this morning with a bad toothache which got worse as the day went on. I was able to get an appointment with a dentist who informed me that the tooth was badly decayed and the options were a root canal etc etc for $1300+, or pulling it out for $375. So i am now in absolute agony and looking at soup and yoghurt for a week or so :cry: . The pain from this is so much worse than any amount of road rash, god i hate teeth.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:39 pm

Still copping quite a bit of pain from the tooth (or to be correct, the huge hole where the tooth used to be), no chance of any riding for some time :( .

But wow, over 8000 views for this thread now :) . Hopefully i can finish it off with a bang, not a whimper.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:14 pm

STILL in terrible pain, numbing gel, ibuprofen AND panadeine all together is just barely enough for me to cling to sanity. If it hasn't improved tomorrow i'll have to go back to the dentist, i can't take much more of this :cry: .

durilium

Postby durilium » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:45 pm

Sounds like a dry socket mate.....very bloody painful apparently.

In all honesty mate I'd pick up the phone now, it'll only get worse till you get it seen to.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:56 pm

Yep 'dry socket' is something the dentist warned me about. Went back this morning and it isn't that, she thinks the antibiotics prescribed didn't do the trick, prescribed stronger ones and after a couple of hours i'm feeling marginally better, fingers crossed.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:41 pm

My bad, completely ignore the previous post. Not for the first time i completely and utterly misunderstood what was being said, understandable given how much pain i am in and how it's affecting my mental health. Luckily my mum had gone with me and she was able to set me straight.

So, i HAVE got a dry socket, they weren't able to do anything about it wednesday so i went back yesterday afternoon to get that attended to. Last night and early this morning i was at last free of pain, but it has crept back during the day and in spite of very strong painkillers it's now back to a very uncomfortable level, though not as bad as the other day. I'm just hoping that the worst is behind me.

EDIT: and i lost one of my KOMs yesterday too! :(

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:22 am

ldrcycles wrote: EDIT: and i lost one of my KOMs yesterday too! :(
Which hurts worse?
The pain in your tooth or the pain of having an OFIL (Old Fart In Lycra) ahead of you :twisted:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:01 pm

Or option 3, the fact i can't do anything about #2 :evil: . Spewing, but i'm getting a carbon Malvern Star frame from Cognition next friday, so once i've got that built up just watch out!

durilium

Postby durilium » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:11 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Or option 3, the fact i can't do anything about #2 :evil: . Spewing, but i'm getting a carbon Malvern Star frame from Cognition next friday, so once i've got that built up just watch out!
They still trying to flog that frame and fork off? they had two of them both 56cm for five hundy a piece ages and ages ago, i almost jumped myself but i can't ride no more due to a reoccuring knee injury, i've been off the saddle for 4mths now and probably won't be ever getting back on, it don't help that my roadie taunts me from my garage everytime i back the car out lol.

Be sure to post some pics of the Oppy once she's built up mate.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Yep, i'm getting the C7, they have a Pro as well but the ISP put me off. Building it with 105 RD and shifters i got off a crashed Cannondale CAAD7 i found at the tip (really), Truvativ Rouleur carbon cranks i got from the skip at work (again, really), RS80 wheels and then probably a Campagnolo Veloce FD to fit the braze on mount, and i'll get some brakes off ebay, either 105 or Ultegra. All up should cost me about $8-900 :) .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:19 am

I keep lookin out four you Idry when I come down and over Black Mt in the truck in the early hours of the morning. I sometimes sleep at the ramp from Cooroy on the old road just before the hiway so if you see me there (look for Fatal Attraction on the bonnet) tap on the side of the sleeper and say hi. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:01 am

"Fatal Attraction" hey? I'll keep an eye out :) .

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:03 am

get around malvern star bikes lachy! woowoooo!

hope you can get ya KOM back mate, its sad not seeing you pop up in my news feed :(

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:07 pm

You and me both :( , but i'm feeling marginally better today, so hopefully i can be back on the bike soon.

It's taken a fair while but i've got over the cultural cringe of Malvern Star, especially as the frame does look fantastic, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than any other option.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:51 pm

A loong time between posts here but i am finally back on the bike.

Yesterday i did a spin from Coolum to Alex and back on the Repco single speed, quite enjoyable in spite of a tough headwind on the way south.

This morning i was intending to join the tuesday bunch for the first time but slept in and arrived late, i chased them but didn't quite manage to get on. I went round the loop anyway, with the legs feeling quite average, set a new pb for the run down gyndier drive (averaged just under 50kmh :) ), then over towards Hastings St to set a time on a couple of segments my brother has been targeting (he has the KOM for one). I managed close to his time for both but given he averages maybe 1 ride a week i was expecting much better than that from myself. But i have to be patient, 2 weeks off the bike isn't going to help.

Squash this evening, 100k before work tomorrow, some singlespeeding on the Dawes thursday and friday and then i'll decide if i should go down to the goldy for Robbie McEwen's Grand Fondle on the weekend.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:14 pm

No 100k yesterday (too tired from a late night), but commuted on the Dawes today. Didn't feel very strong but still put in a reasonable time, backed up for the ride home quite well until i discovered my chain had come loose (either from the chain stretching or the wheel moving, neither seems particularly likely), it came off and became quite intimate with the gap between the tire and frame :( . Luckily i was able to roll to a stop and get going again, but took a bit of paint off the chainstay and the chain is twisted and sorry looking.

Still love my Dawes though, especially now that i have a vintage shop advertising sign and 1984 catalog to go with her :D .

And in other news, that mongrel duds has jumped ahead of me on that segment AGAIN. All out attack tomorrow arvo, swapped the Re-Fuse for S-Works Turbo 21c, headset spacers, cap, bottle cage, bottle cage bolts, valve caps and tail light removed, KOM or bust!

And i finally pick up the oppy tomorrow arvo, very very excited :D :D .

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 am

mate get that KOM back! yeahhh buddy!
and pics of the oppy! yeahhh buddy.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:45 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I keep lookin out four you Idry when I come down and over Black Mt in the truck in the early hours of the morning. I sometimes sleep at the ramp from Cooroy on the old road just before the hiway so if you see me there (look for Fatal Attraction on the bonnet) tap on the side of the sleeper and say hi. :)

Foo
If the person banging on the side of your truck does not look like Alberto Contador with a bit of extra girth then it aint Lachlan so dont let him in !

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:50 pm

^^ :lol: ^^

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:44 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
And in other news, that mongrel duds has jumped ahead of me on that segment AGAIN. All out attack tomorrow arvo, swapped the Re-Fuse for S-Works Turbo 21c, headset spacers, cap, bottle cage, bottle cage bolts, valve caps and tail light removed, KOM or bust!

Guess I better empty the drink bottle before I get to the sprint and somehow lose about 30 years if I'm going to stay ahead of you. :twisted:

You've would have heard the adage about age and treachery, you have now entered the zone where Old Guys Rule.

ldrcycles

Re: YEEEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Oh what a way to finish the week, picked up the gorgeous C7 from Cognition

And then drove to Coolum, got my stuff organised and set off to hit the segment before the light ran out (so i didn't have to weigh myself down with lights :wink: ), and to take advantage of a perfect tailwind. Amped myself up along the flat, gradually wound up and then smashed it, hit the bottom of the climb doing the best part of 60kmh and turned myself inside out. 6 seconds off my pb and the throne is mine again MWAAHAHAHAA!!!
duds2u wrote:
You've would have heard the adage about age and treachery, you have now entered the zone where Old Guys Rule.
Does putting the GPS in your pocket so you can save the weight of the mount count as treachery, or just OCD? :lol: .
elantra wrote: If the person banging on the side of your truck does not look like Alberto Contador with a bit of extra girth then it aint Lachlan so dont let him in !
Are you saying i'm fat?! :cry:

You could add "with a few less teeth" :P

And duds just in case you or my nemesis Kellet get any ideas, i'm going to do hill repeats over there tomorrow morning before work!

durilium

Postby durilium » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:32 pm

I reckon your a dead ringer for Bertie too but never mentioned it, spesh in that pic of you and your missus dressed in old timer gear ;) need a domestic for the Noosa Century? I might me free ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Another great day! 45k to Alexandra Headland and back this morning before work at a fairly moderate pace, then another 29k after work doing hill repeats around Coolum. Worked very hard in the evening and felt very good, though the times up the hill were nowhere near my best, it's extraordinary how much difference there is switching from the RS80 wheels/S Works Turbo tyres to the R500s with courier tyres.

My 4000 mile target has now come and gone, now at just short of 6500k for the year and should be well over 7000k by 2013.

And on top of that, when i finished my evening ride, my gorgeous fiancee had a magnificent meal of butter chicken waiting for me! Boy am i on a good wicket :D .

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:26 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Another great day! 45k to Alexandra Headland and back this morning before work at a fairly moderate pace, then another 29k after work doing hill repeats around Coolum. Worked very hard in the evening and felt very good, though the times up the hill were nowhere near my best, it's extraordinary how much difference there is switching from the RS80 wheels/S Works Turbo tyres to the R500s with courier tyres.
Getting a bit serious about the sprint are we. :shock: RS80 Wheels, Works Turbo tyres and a new frame coming to boot, not to mention repeats on the said hill.

I'm starting to think I need there should be a 1 second handicap for every ten years age difference to make it fair. :wink: At 61 I'm in serious decline and I've only been riding 2 1/2 years ( now listen for the bleeding heart music) and am backing up last years 13,000k with another one this year.

I'm really looking forward to retirement so I can spend some serious time on the bike.