tiagra vs veloce

Postby ohexploitable » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:04 pm

which will give me more street cred?

(read: which will be less shameful?)
I DIDN'T EAT FOR THREE DAYS SO I COULD BE LOVELY

familyguy

Re: tiagra vs veloce

Postby familyguy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:12 pm

1 vote for Veloce. For every aspect...cred, longevity, use.

Jim

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:18 pm

Veloce, no question.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:19 pm

I ride Veloce, so you know what you have to do ;)

Never actually ridden Tiagra so I can't really help that much but I think Veloce looks a lot better and it's been working fine for me. I've heard it's more equivalent to 105 in the Shimano range.

One problem you might find though is slightly less wheel availability as you'll need wheels with Campy freehubs. Almost everyone offers Campy though so that's fine, you just can't buy Shimano wheels basically.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:45 pm

Ooh ooh i know this one pick me!

Campagnolo is a more emotional way of shifting, you can feel the history each time you change gears, it's a sensual experience. Every time you go for a ride you will be thinking about the 140yr old Italian guy who hand carved your derailleur pivots from a single piece of granite he nicked from the Sistine Chapel. The MAN just wants you to be a slave to replacing components every year but Campagnolo will last for ever and ever and it will make you go faster and you will be more attractive to members of the opposite sex and it's made in EUROPE and the cables are different sizes and you need a different hub but it's SOO worth it!

Just kidding, IMO it depends on the bike, i reckon both look fine (i've used Tiagra a lot and it works perfectly well).
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:27 am

ldrcycles wrote:Ooh ooh i know this one pick me!

Campagnolo is a more emotional way of shifting, you can feel the history each time you change gears, it's a sensual experience. Every time you go for a ride you will be thinking about the 140yr old Italian guy who hand carved your derailleur pivots from a single piece of granite he nicked from the Sistine Chapel. The MAN just wants you to be a slave to replacing components every year but Campagnolo will last for ever and ever and it will make you go faster and you will be more attractive to members of the opposite sex and it's made in EUROPE and the cables are different sizes and you need a different hub but it's SOO worth it!

Just kidding, IMO it depends on the bike, i reckon both look fine (i've used Tiagra a lot and it works perfectly well).
+1. I laughed so hard at that i just woke my 7 yo son :shock:

Aye, go the Veloce as it is smexy stuff, who cares that it isn't as much available compared to shimano. Dunno about Tiagra gear, as i just replaced some very old Campagnolo Record gear with new Ultegra & 105 and it sings rather sweetly.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Veloce all the way :D

On a more serious note, go for the one that "feels nicer" in your hands

Phil

Postby Phil » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Went Veloce Brifters on the Commuter (plus campy cassette and Vento Wheels) cheap as chips online $95 for the brifters with Campy cables v $230+ for SRAM or Shimano.

Work very nicely indeed, also prefer the Campy hood shape. Oh and strange women did start eying me off whistfully after I installed the Brifters.

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:41 pm

I've been riding Veloce for 3 years and I highly recommend it. Quality engineering for an awesome price. There is no reason you'd go Tiagra.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Zynster wrote: There is no reason you'd go Tiagra.
80 euros cheaper on bike24 and you can use more common wheels and cassettes.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:33 pm

Go ride a bike with Veloce, another with Tiagra, another with SRAM Apex and another with Microshift

Veloce will give you street cred
Tiagra are more practical
Apex are sexy (if some what expensive) SRAM
Microshift given you more bang for the buck particularly if you are a weight weenie

I have Centaur shifters Athena drivetrain on my pose/group ride bike, they just do not feel right in my hands, downshifting is a pain for me.
I have SRAM on my race bike, the double tap seems natural to me and ergonomics just work
I have 6600 Ultegra on my commuter, I do try to double tap with silly consequences, but would like my SRAM drivetrain to be that quiet and precise.
I have a Microshift Aris groupset to fit to my crit bike I am building.

So ride bikes with each of them and you will find the brifters/groupset that work for you.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:47 pm

I know I've already weighed in with my support for Veloce but seeing as SRAM has been mentioned I want to throw out my opinion of SRAM Force too. I have it on my commuter bike and I really love it, shifters feel nice in my hands, double tap makes sense to me, mechanics seem very well made and shifting is crisp and precise. Personally I do have trouble reaching the thumb lever of veloce from the hoods. The Force mechanics feel smoother and tighter than the Veloce ones but they are completely levels of groupset so it's not a fair comparison really.

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:51 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Tiagra is 9 speed, so not compatible with the vast majority of 10 speed wheels anyway. If you already had a set of wheels, well... that might be a reason. If you're buying wheels then it won't be an issue. Veloce + Ventos = WIN. :-)

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:54 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:I know I've already weighed in with my support for Veloce but seeing as SRAM has been mentioned I want to throw out my opinion of SRAM Force too. I have it on my commuter bike and I really love it, shifters feel nice in my hands, double tap makes sense to me, mechanics seem very well made and shifting is crisp and precise. Personally I do have trouble reaching the thumb lever of veloce from the hoods. The Force mechanics feel smoother and tighter than the Veloce ones but they are completely levels of groupset so it's not a fair comparison really.
I liked Veloce better than SRAM Rival. This was compounded when my Rival right shifter broke. Apparently a fairly common occurrence.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:56 pm

I have old (2002) 9-speed Tiagra (with 105 RD) on my roadie and it shifts better than my full 105 CX bike from 2011. Very direct.

Cannot comment on Veloce but Tiagra is bombproof.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:57 pm

Zynster wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
Tiagra is 9 speed, so not compatible with the vast majority of 10 speed wheels anyway. If you already had a set of wheels, well... that might be a reason. If you're buying wheels then it won't be an issue. Veloce + Ventos = WIN. :-)
Current Tiagra is 10 speed.

In any case you just swap cassettes, not wheels. Simply done, 5 minute job.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Zynster wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
Tiagra is 9 speed
Changed to 10 speed for 2012, mine is 9 speed though and i'm using it on 10spd hubs with a little washer.

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:18 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Zynster wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
Tiagra is 9 speed
Changed to 10 speed for 2012, mine is 9 speed though and i'm using it on 10spd hubs with a little washer.
There you go. I even Googled it and got this.

Well, is someone going to churp up with experience of the current 2012 Tiagra?

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:20 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Zynster wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
Tiagra is 9 speed
Most 'Shimano' hubs are 8/9/10 speed compatible. That is, it's not the wheel or the hub that determines 8/9/10, but the shifters. Set the alignment and RD limits properly and the shifter does the job, as far as I figure it.

I have a wheelset I swap between a 10 speed 105 bike and a 9 speed Tiagra with a simple swap of cassette.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm not 100% but i think my brother's bike is 2012, perhaps a slightly more positive feel than my 2008 or thereabouts group.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:59 am

BAsic error is that you are considering that Veloce is "entry level" and therefore comparable to Tiagra. Veloce is Campag. They don't do a Tiagra level gruppo.
You have officially become your parents.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:32 am

Ken Ho wrote:BAsic error is that you are considering that Veloce is "entry level" and therefore comparable to Tiagra. Veloce is Campag. They don't do a Tiagra level gruppo.
That's not the first time i've seen that sort of comment, what is the difference then? They certainly look pretty similar to me, i can't find any weights for the current Tiagra but i doubt there would be much difference there, and from working on my bike and my brother's, i have no problems with the build quality of the Tiagra. The only exposure i've had to Veloce was using a 2nd hand front derailleur on one of my bikes for a while.

If the error was considering Veloce to be entry level then people would be comparing it to Sora, or even the new Tourney. There are a few people saying this year's Tiagra is last year's 105, and i hardly think Veloce would be better quality than 105.

grpaxto

Postby grpaxto » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:32 pm

I bought a avanti giro 3 in march this year with the 10 speed tiagra grp set. Just clocked up 11,000 km without any issue but will soon retire the bike to full time indoor trainer when I upgrade. It was/is a great bike for the price .

chill

Postby chill » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:48 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Ken Ho wrote:BAsic error is that you are considering that Veloce is "entry level" and therefore comparable to Tiagra. Veloce is Campag. They don't do a Tiagra level gruppo.
That's not the first time i've seen that sort of comment, what is the difference then? They certainly look pretty similar to me, i can't find any weights for the current Tiagra but i doubt there would be much difference there, and from working on my bike and my brother's, i have no problems with the build quality of the Tiagra. The only exposure i've had to Veloce was using a 2nd hand front derailleur on one of my bikes for a while.

If the error was considering Veloce to be entry level then people would be comparing it to Sora, or even the new Tourney. There are a few people saying this year's Tiagra is last year's 105, and i hardly think Veloce would be better quality than 105.
I had Veloce on my daily bike. IMO on par if not slightly better than the 105 that it replaced but those differences might be user preference. Tiagra on the other hand is no comparison.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:00 pm

chill wrote: Tiagra on the other hand is no comparison.
This is what i was asking above, you say 'no comparison', no comparison how? What's the difference? I'm not having a go, it's just that sweeping vague statements don't educate anyone.