Hand Numbness

Krank

Hand Numbness

Postby Krank » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:01 pm

I get hand numbness over a 100km ride.

THoughts and tips how to eliminate this numbness?

Krank

jonbays

Re: Hand Numbness

Postby jonbays » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:09 pm

Try good gloves, bar tape, seat height to handlebar height adjustment to change your position, perhaps core strength exercise to help you bring other muscles groups in to play to support your position.

Krank

Postby Krank » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:16 pm

thanks.

TDC

Postby TDC » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:17 pm

Too much weight on your hands. Also try moving the saddle rearwards by 2 - 3 mm to change the balance point relative to the BB, This will take some weight off the hands.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Krank wrote:I get hand numbness over a 100km ride.

THoughts and tips how to eliminate this numbness?

Krank
Depends on what is going numb and the circumstances. Ulnar nerve compression can occur at the hand or the elbow... or if it's affecting your thumb as well it could be the radial or median nerve being compressed in the wrist.

Does it only occur on rough roads? What kind of padding do you have in the gloves/bars? Road bike or hybrid, and do you carry a bit of excess weight up top? Have you had a proper bike fit?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Krank

Postby Krank » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:39 pm

H twizzle,

I wear specialized gel gloves with good protection of the ulnar area of the palm.

I ride on the Kakadu hwy heading towards Darwin from Jabiru. Road is not the smoothest I must say.

I had a bike fit 2 years ago - perhaps i need another one.

excess weight a little.

Krank

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Get it occasionally and I just take my hand off the bars and flex my fingers for 10 seconds and that takes care of it. Usually my left hand for some reason.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:04 pm

I usually get the numbness in my right hand... it has since improved somewhat with a good pair of gloves and gel bar tape

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Krank wrote:H twizzle,

I wear specialized gel gloves with good protection of the ulnar area of the palm.

I ride on the Kakadu hwy heading towards Darwin from Jabiru. Road is not the smoothest I must say.

I had a bike fit 2 years ago - perhaps i need another one.

excess weight a little.

Krank
Hmmm... I'm loathe to suggest moving the saddle if you have had a fit. If it's only on rough roads I'd try gel under the bar tape first and possibly different gloves. After that, I'd raise the bars plus a slightly shorter stem to rotate the weight back without changing the hip/crank relationship too much - maybe flip the stem if it's a road bike?. Another bike fit is only likely to help if your weight has changed or it wasn't a good fit to start with.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:19 pm

If you are just riding solo maybe put a smaller set of aero extenders on ( with elbow pads ) ... you will go faster and take all the pressure off your hands for long periods.

I also get numb hands ( sometimes it isn't from the weather :P ) ... my bike fit is perfect, my core strength is pretty damn good, I just like riding for long periods in the drops... sometimes you just have to put up with it a little bit. But if you start feeling it in the hands when off the bike as well you need to start worrying.

Krank

Postby Krank » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks boys.

I''try some of these ideas for tomorrow's ride...

Krank

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Vibration from the chip-seal does it too. I get numb hands quickly, as I have had vibration induced median nerve from riding Ducati's with no tingle knobs on the bars. On a 916, I get numbness in a matter of minutes. On smooth roads on my Bianchi, I might go for hours and not get numb, or numb up quickly on rougher roads. Gel gloves help a bit, but not much.
You have officially become your parents.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:20 pm

My numbness only ever occurs in my right hand after about an hour. Dropping my arm by my side helps a lot and it almost feels like blood is rushing back in :?

Recently got a pair of Specialized BG Gel gloves and its helped a lot...
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Krank

Postby Krank » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:24 pm

I also use Specialized BG Gel gloves. Good when new. I ahve had them for 2 years now. SHoudl I replace them?

Krank

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:22 am

Try monitoring your riding position, ie. not leaning one way or the other.

I get a numb right hand also (see thread in Health section). I became convinced that it was connected to numbness in my right foot, so have been making a real effort to adjust my position and keep my shoulders set (although relaxed) and my body central. I figured the foot numbness was due to that foot rolling outward on the powerstroke, so in conjunction with sitting upright, I've been making sure my right knee is kept tucked inward, keeping the right foot in place.

Since adopting these strategies, numbness in both hand and foot have reduced markedly. Still getting slight tingles, but I reckon with practice and perfection, I should continue to see improvement.
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:10 am

jonbays wrote:Try good gloves, bar tape, seat height to handlebar height adjustment to change your position, perhaps core strength exercise to help you bring other muscles groups in to play to support your position.
Perfect response. Core strength and good posture is the key aspect.

Padded gloves and thicket bar tape will minimize pressure, but it's even better to keep the weight off your hands to begin with.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Krank

Postby Krank » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:51 am

Thanks boys.

Just got back after my morning 100km ride.

I changed a few things - raised seat height a little and moved it back a little.

Numbness still present but was reduced, however I now experience neck pain that did not occur before...

Krank

TDC

Postby TDC » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:45 pm

try to only make one change at a time.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:37 am

Krank wrote:I changed a few things - raised seat height a little and moved it back a little.

Numbness still present but was reduced, however I now experience neck pain that did not occur before...
Both those changes will make you bend forward more. Maybe raise the stem height to match the saddle height change.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:49 am

Ken Ho wrote:. On a 916, .
I'm jealous, even though the financial reality of family life means those days are gone for me. Still the best looking M/cycle ever made IMO :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:29 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Ken Ho wrote:. On a 916, .
I'm jealous, even though the financial reality of family life means those days are gone for me. Still the best looking M/cycle ever made IMO :)
If it makes you feel better, I sold it some years ago. Now I have to put up with a Hypermotard Evo SP. I still get numb hands quickly on a roadie though, especially on coarse chip-seal roads. No such problems on the Retard. In fact, I think I might go for a spin right now.
You have officially become your parents.