Help me find a good pump...

anonymousmoose

Help me find a good pump...

Postby anonymousmoose » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:53 am

When I was riding over a decade ago... I had a mini pump attached to my bottle cage.

It was very sturdy and high quality, it was all metal or aluminium and extended quite large for a small mini pump.

I tested a few pumps at the bike shop today and they were all cheap plastic... I want one like the one I had. Any ideas where to get one from for a good price?

EG, what about this one?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290784687281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOPEAK-Maste ... 43b508578e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matt_Matt

Re: Help me find a good pump...

Postby Matt_Matt » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:16 am

I've have this one strapped to my frame.

Very happy with it's roadside performance. Slots under the bidon cage.

Matt

A_P

Postby A_P » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:56 am

Matt_Matt wrote:Very happy with it's roadside performance.
+1
i have 3 pumps from this brand, couldn't recommend them highly enough.
Aaron

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:00 am

+2 for Lezyne. Highly recommended. Don't waste your time or money on anything else.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:59 am

Another good altenative to Lezyne is Topeak Road Morph (or Mountain Morph if you have MTB).

TDC

Postby TDC » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Have been using one of these for a couple of years. Cheap and does the job. The floor pump styles makes it easy to get 100+ psi. Fits fine in the jersey pocket.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/GYP ... auge-gm-71" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:32 pm

Does anyone know where I can order the TOPEAK Master Blaster DX for a good price?

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:13 pm

Buy the Lezyne Road Drive.

For one thing, it's metal not plastic. For another, it has a flexi air hose to connect to the valve.

While you're at it, order a Lezyne Floor Drive for home use.

Then come back and thank us for our good advice.

That is all.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:31 pm

JustJames wrote:Buy the Lezyne Road Drive.

For one thing, it's metal not plastic. For another, it has a flexi air hose to connect to the valve.

While you're at it, order a Lezyne Floor Drive for home use.

Then come back and thank us for our good advice.

That is all.
Yep. Lezyne for all the above reasons. The flexi hose is vital. The rigid types are a real pain.

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:01 pm

ball bearing wrote:
JustJames wrote:Buy the Lezyne Road Drive
A bit more than I want to spend I'm afraid. Looks like a great pump.

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:09 pm

You don't say if this is for a road bike or MTB, but if it is for a road bike the physics is simple - a thin barrel for high pressure, a fat barrel for volume. Lezyne looks high quality but quality doesn't overcome physics.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:35 pm

anonymousmoose wrote:
ball bearing wrote:
JustJames wrote:Buy the Lezyne Road Drive
A bit more than I want to spend I'm afraid. Looks like a great pump.
Yes, they are spendy.

But you will only buy once.

Pumps that rely on a lever to squash a rubber donut to clamp against the valve eventually stop working. Then you buy another pump.

How many cheap pumps will you buy?
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:03 pm

JustJames wrote:Yes, they are spendy.

But you will only buy once.
Observe this, for it is wisdom.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:14 pm

+5 (or is it 6?) for Lezyne, old fashioned quality, and compared to some other pumps out there they aren't expensive. Shop around and you should be able to find one for $35 or less. My first floor pump was a giyo and while it's getting a little worn out now it's worked without fault for about 5 years, and i use it a LOT.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:29 am

I used to be a Lezyne sceptic, Until I got one off me eldest while wearing a red fatsuit and fake beard.

Now I have four. One for each bike. :oops:

The floor pump is a Giyo from T7 but I bought a Lezyne hose and chuck assembly to replace the OEM after 8 months. When it does eventually fall off the perch I will get yet another Lezyne.

In the name of fairness, I will gripe on the alloy bracket supplied with the road drive. While it looks stunning, if the strap should fail for any reason your pump is bouncing down the road. :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:57 am

Mulger bill wrote:
In the name of fairness, I will gripe on the alloy bracket supplied with the road drive. While it looks stunning, if the strap should fail for any reason your pump is bouncing down the road. :(
Oh yea i forgot about that, my first Lezyne died when it came off and went through my back wheel :evil: . Easy fix though, now i don't use frame mounts and just put it up the leg of my knicks.

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:32 am

ldrcycles wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
Oh yea i forgot about that, my first Lezyne died when it came off and went through my back wheel :evil: . Easy fix though, now i don't use frame mounts and just put it up the leg of my knicks.
Is that a pump in your pants or do you just enjoy riding? ;)

coyote

Postby coyote » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:04 pm

Another + for Lezyne, they three models/size's, I got the Pressure Drive - 120psi Max with a big barrel for volume, ABS(air bleed system) flex hose. I went for the nice gold colour. 8)

Comes in hady when things like this happen on this mornings ride.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:55 pm

Yes, Lezyne as well here. The Lezyne Mini Floor Drive HV is a great pump. It just works very well.
Mulger bill wrote:In the name of fairness, I will gripe on the alloy bracket supplied with the road drive. While it looks stunning, if the strap should fail for any reason your pump is bouncing down the road. :(
Mine has a plastic bracket :(

But I too have broken the strap (luckily just starting off, so did not damage the pump). The leg of my baggy shorts snagged the top of the pump and ripped it out :oops: Without the strap the pump don't stay there at all. Eventually I got the strap stitched up and it works again.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:53 pm

coyote wrote:Another + for Lezyne, they three models/size's, I got the Pressure Drive - 120psi Max with a big barrel for volume
Does it actually reach this pressure? I'm looking around for a CO2 alternative for a quick fix on the road.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:08 pm

I've got the Lezyne Road Drive (rated to 160psi), though I have only had to use the pump by itself once and got it to around the 110psi mark (which took some effort). Not sure I'd be able to get it anywhere near 160psi (though I don't foresee me needing this pressure in 23c tyres).

I always carry this pump in addition to CO2 and after changing a puncture I use the pump to inflate the tyre to around 20psi or so and then use the CO2 to inflate the rest of the way (to around 120psi).
Had to do this during the Around the Bay ride the other week after getting a tack puncture and a few minutes later I was off and riding again with new tube installed.

The road drive has a very solid aluminium feel and also has the flex hose with air bleed system and is quite thin and unobtrusive.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Hi all, I want to serenely thank you for your help. But spending $50-$100 on a pump is a bit excessive at the moment for me :)

What about this pump specifically?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI ... PDKIKX0DER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Every pump that I have ever owned that has had a lever to squish a rubbery doughnut to clamp a valve stem has given up sooner or later.

The last one was a very pretty carbon fibre number that matched my bike. It died on probably its 5th use. I bought the Lezyne, which I expect to last for many years.

More recently my floor pump became unacceptably idiosyncratic. It was also replaced by a Lezyne, anf that too looks like it will last a very long time.

Buy good stuff, buy once. Life is too short to buy garbage.

Nobody ever bought something and then said "you know, this is too nice, I wish i'd bought cheaper."

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 pm

JustJames wrote: Buy good stuff, buy once. Life is too short to buy garbage.

Nobody ever bought something and then said "you know, this is too nice, I wish i'd bought cheaper."
Just to clarify, this one is garbage? It seemed to get good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI ... cyclenetau" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:56 pm

It should do the job, i have a small Topeak pump (not that model) and it works fine.