Why green EDGE?

Magnus

Why green EDGE?

Postby Magnus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Can't find anything that explains why Ryan chose the name "greenEDGE" - anyone know why?

cheers

schroeds

Re: Why green EDGE?

Postby schroeds » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Note sure the timing of how it all came together, but Orica has had a terrible record of environmental abuse, so perhaps the positive brand rub off from the Green implications was envisaged from the get go.
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

bradman

Postby bradman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:02 pm

There were a few eyebrows raised at that very connection when the sponsorship was announced...

biftek

Postby biftek » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:05 pm

i suppose when you have the money to start your own team up you can all it what ever you want

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:19 pm

I think the "green" bit is a reference of sorts to Australia ie green and gold. Not sure what EDGE is supposed to signify or why it is capitalised.

AJ_

Postby AJ_ » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:29 pm

Yeah that sound a good theory. So maybe along the lines of the Australian Edge. Ie 60 -70 % Australian talent that gives the Edge of the compertition.

trainedmonkey

Postby trainedmonkey » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:21 pm

schroeds wrote:Note sure the timing of how it all came together, but Orica has had a terrible record of environmental abuse, so perhaps the positive brand rub off from the Green implications was envisaged from the get go.
They were in the news recently: Orica fined $430K over Gladstone cyanide release. So yeah I guess they'd want to find ways to associate their brand with the word "green".

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:31 pm

trainedmonkey wrote:They were in the news recently: Orica fined $430K over Gladstone cyanide release. So yeah I guess they'd want to find ways to associate their brand with the word "green".
Yikes. I had figured "Green Edge" was some kind of renewable energy brand or something.

I guess the "Cyanide Release Pro Team" doesn't have the same marketing appeal.

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:35 pm

trainedmonkey wrote:They were in the news recently: Orica fined $430K over Gladstone cyanide release. So yeah I guess they'd want to find ways to associate their brand with the word "green".
:shock: :shock:

That's a massive blight on this team. What a shame. Greenwashing at it's finest.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

paulz

Postby paulz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:53 pm

One must remember that the team was named before the sponsorship deal with Orica was sealed.

nsr0772

Postby nsr0772 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:09 am

Its still a stupid name

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:28 am

I think the name is rather clever considering the connotations associated with each word.

In todays environment having the word “Green” in a name gives off the right vibes, and having the word “Edge” in the name is certainly good when you consider the competitive vibes associated with a cycling team.

No wonder a company such as Orica with their shady environmental reputation jumped on the chance to be associated with the name GreenEDGE.

biftek

Postby biftek » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:49 am

also keep in mind that professional cycling isn't very green at all , look at all the support cars burning up fuel

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:55 am

As far as I know, GE is just code for "your company/organisation name here", it's simply a fill in for them to identify and hopefully (for them) replace it with a naming rights sponsor.

Orica may not have a great rap for some of their activity, but given the industry they are in (chemicals, explosives, mining and industrial supplies), I suppose such issues are going to happen as much as we'd like them to be better at making sure they didn't.

I suspect if you went through the list of all big Pro team sponsors, you'd find plenty of other corporate skeletons in the closet. Sky for instance - Rupert Murdoch, known for an interesting interpretation on ethical standards in the newspaper publishing industry and overt exertion of political influence. Various financial services companies are all of course perfect corporate citizens in today's Europe, gambling companies, oil tycoons, construction industry, pharmaceutical companies, nasty greenhouse polluting energy companies, telecoms companies, and so on....

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Green may not necessarily have intended to have an environmental association. I was under the impression that it was the green from green and gold, as previously suggested. Also in the current peloton there are no dominantly green coloured teams, so it is the green team and they have the edge, the advantage.

Would Orica love an environmental green association? Absolutely, so good PR.
Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:41 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:As far as I know, GE is just code for "your company/organisation name here", it's simply a fill in for them to identify and hopefully (for them) replace it with a naming rights sponsor.

Orica may not have a great rap for some of their activity, but given the industry they are in (chemicals, explosives, mining and industrial supplies), I suppose such issues are going to happen as much as we'd like them to be better at making sure they didn't.
To be fair to Greenedge, they were named before Orica came along. Unfortunately, Orica brings in sponsorship dollars which is what a team needs. I say unfortunately because they've got a demonstrably bad record on environmental issues. I won't go any further than that, but even so, the average person can use the publicly available registers and see for themselves.

But that's the way things are. I mean look at F1, for a while it had some equally dubious sponsors, McLaren with West or Marlboro, Benetton with Mild Seven, Lotus with JPS (in the old days), McLaren with Johnny Walker, Ferrari with Marlboro, BAR with 555/Lucky Strike etc. There are others I've probably forgotten, but it's a whole heap of high-powered, high-speed tobacco-boxes on four-wheels. Or otherwise, Onyx with Marlboro (ciggies) Moneytron (hugely dubious).

Professional sport needs money, if you don't have money, you don't survive. :(

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:03 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Green may not necessarily have intended to have an environmental association. I was under the impression that it was the green from green and gold, as previously suggested. Also in the current peloton there are no dominantly green coloured teams, so it is the green team and they have the edge, the advantage.

Europecar i thought would of got the nod for being the green team :mrgreen:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:08 pm

bardygrub wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:Green may not necessarily have intended to have an environmental association. I was under the impression that it was the green from green and gold, as previously suggested. Also in the current peloton there are no dominantly green coloured teams, so it is the green team and they have the edge, the advantage.

orImage :P
Dogs are the best people :wink:

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:38 pm

warthog1 wrote:
bardygrub wrote:

orImage :P
I am/was a liquigas fan!That kit you have shown was ithink the 2010 kit.Liquigas are no longer :( so they are no longer part of the peleton. :( thier kit last year was blue lime green and mainly white.B.T.W they are now Cannondale Britix i think.

liquor box

Postby liquor box » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:47 pm

I thought I read that it was just a name he liked and he wanted to come up with a brand before a product, I think it was designed to be used in the future with sport/fitness/nutrition products that have yet to be developed. I also think I recall that this sponsorship is for sale for the right amount of money, but it is not cheap.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:45 pm

if orica poisons a towns water supply they could just add organic to the name. That'll do it.

Orica Organic Green Edge

Or Free trade. that seems to work for Nestle

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:22 pm

I reckon they could do worse than Orica as a sponser, at least one pro Euro team has a drug company as sponser...
Wasn't Mars the confectionery company a sponser of a NRS race a while back? Not a real good sponser IMO as cycling is supposed to be healthy. What's next, Windfield Blue Racing or what about VB Racing?!

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:01 pm

Ross wrote:.............................. or what about VB Racing?!
Now that’s a cycling jersey and knicks I would buy, at least wearing that may get the Bogans to give you a bit more space on the road. :wink:

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:14 pm

Aren't all sports supposed to be healthy?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:30 pm

Ross wrote:I reckon they could do worse than Orica as a sponser, at least one pro Euro team has a drug company as sponser...
Wasn't Mars the confectionery company a sponser of a NRS race a while back? Not a real good sponser IMO as cycling is supposed to be healthy. What's next, Windfield Blue Racing or what about VB Racing?!
And don't forget, the first major sponsor of the Tour Down Under was Jacob's Creek. Bintang Beer sponsors cycling team and events. Farnese Vini is a pro continental team as was Vini Caldirola. Of course there was always the Amstel Gold Race. Who remembers the Gerolsteiner team?

and on and on it goes....

Then we have V8 Supercars have Coopers and Jim Beam as major sponsors. And there are also teams sponsored by other alcoholic beverage companies, e.g. Jack Daniels, Jim Beam and Bottle-O racing teams.

Who sponsors football teams, and cricket teams? XXXX, VB, etc