Source of cheap road chainrings

ldrcycles

Source of cheap road chainrings

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:48 pm

I need a set of 53-39 130pcd chainrings but the cheapest branded ones i've found so far are Mowa for $95, 'Driveline' (some Taiwanese mob) are $70, seems pretty steep?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

warthog1

Re: Source of cheap road chainrings

Postby warthog1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:26 pm

I tried a stronglight 53t big ring from one of the pommy stores. Ended up taking it off again as the change from small to big was woeful with it. I'm sticking with sram or shimano, but yes they are ex :evil: pensive
Dogs are the best people :wink:

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:27 pm

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:36 pm

SRAM APEX
Its often cheaper to buy a full crankset than just rings.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:12 pm

Yea i was getting that impression from trawling through ebay, doesn't make a lot of sense as i would have thought the expense in cranks was in the crank arms, not stamping some aluminium plate for the rings. The reason i was after rings is i have a set of Truvativ Rouleur carbon cranks with worn rings, though i've just done some googling and there are some less than favourable reviews :? . I have a Truvativ Elita set as well but they're for ISIS and i had an unpleasant experience with some Race Face ISIS cranks a while back.

Maybe just a new crankset would be the best way to go then i think...

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:29 pm

I have a completely different experience to warthog1 with Stronglight.

I have found the changes to be fine. However I grew up riding bikes that didn't have chainrings with ramps etc. The modern designs do assist with changes under load apparently but I am not in the habit of loaded front changes. Given your experience riding older bikes I'd expect that you'd do fine with the Stronglight rings.

My tandem has flat rings with no ramps or pins and it changes fine, particularly with a modern triple FD and downtube shifters.

Speaking of shifters :oops: They will be there by Christmas, promise.

Cheers,

Cameron

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:06 pm

That's an interesting thing actually, the BEST front shifting i've had yet is on my 85 Univega, SunTour derailleur with stem shifters (really) and SR cranks with perfectly flat chainrings, no ramps, pins or chamfers at all. Like flicking a light switch.

I'm not too sure about the Truvativ cranks now, it seems they may have a habit of falling off :? . Might explain why i found them in a skip.

TDC

Postby TDC » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:49 pm

ldrcycles wrote:That's an interesting thing actually, the BEST front shifting i've had yet is on my 85 Univega, SunTour derailleur with stem shifters (really) and SR cranks with perfectly flat chainrings, no ramps, pins or chamfers at all. Like flicking a light switch.

I'm not too sure about the Truvativ cranks now, it seems they may have a habit of falling off :? . Might explain why i found them in a skip.
Was the Univega 52/42?

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:44 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I need a set of 53-39 130pcd chainrings but the cheapest branded ones i've found so far are Mowa for $95, 'Driveline' (some Taiwanese mob) are $70, seems pretty steep?
Hi Laclan, try a bikeshop.
Sometimes they have drawers full of loose chainrings, usually available for about 30 to 50 dollars each.
Not cheap, but not that expensive either, judging by your experience above.
Steve

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:15 pm

ironhanglider wrote:I have a completely different experience to warthog1 with Stronglight.

I have found the changes to be fine. However I grew up riding bikes that didn't have chainrings with ramps etc. The modern designs do assist with changes under load apparently but I am not in the habit of loaded front changes. Given your experience riding older bikes I'd expect that you'd do fine with the Stronglight rings.

My tandem has flat rings with no ramps or pins and it changes fine, particularly with a modern triple FD and downtube shifters.

Speaking of shifters :oops: They will be there by Christmas, promise.

Cheers,

Cameron
I grew up on older stuff too. 44 this year. The strong light was just unreliable however you try to shift it. I prefer a chainring that actually picks up the chain and doesn't just spin against the chain plates. It's years since I've ridden any older stuff but I don't remember any front changes being as dodgy as they were with that throwing star.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:58 pm

TDC wrote: Was the Univega 52/42?
It is actually, hadn't occurred to me but that could certainly help.

elantra wrote: Hi Lachlan, try a bikeshop.
Not a bad idea, i'll hit them up on friday when i pick up the frame. I'm leaning towards getting a new set of Tiagra cranks as most of the stuff i've read about the Truvativ cranks i have is negative. The Tiagra on the other hand, no negative reviews, some articles suggesting it could be stiffer than the Truvativ cranks, and the whole crankset is cheaper than getting BB and chainrings.