Anyone ride a fatbike.

crazyjose

Re: Anyone ride a fatbike.

Postby crazyjose » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:59 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:From Interbike

Interbike Outdoor Demo: Big Rubber

Wow some people don't like this version of the V10, I quite like it, if I could get my hands on a fat rear section and a set of wide set triple clamps, I would go the whole hog on a V10 or Bullet/Nickel build (even a scott Ransom) with 888 forks and a DHX 5.0 rear shock, just for the awesome effect. Might scare the Grannies and little kids as I ride it down the street though...

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:37 am

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:42 pm

I really like that. I have 2 mates keen on Fatbikes now. Might be the only way I get to ride one :(

crazyjose

Postby crazyjose » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:19 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I really like that. I have 2 mates keen on Fatbikes now. Might be the only way I get to ride one :(

Don't stress your missus will see mine and give you the tick in the box for one :)

gotta get my ducks in a row before I get it, definitely not going single speed on it though

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:10 am

crazyjose wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:I really like that. I have 2 mates keen on Fatbikes now. Might be the only way I get to ride one :(

Don't stress your missus will see mine and give you the tick in the box for one :)

gotta get my ducks in a row before I get it, definitely not going single speed on it though
I hope so. That tactic did work for the dropper post :D

crazyjose

Postby crazyjose » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:18 pm

The missus sounded a little maybeish, looks promising, Salsa Mukluk hopefully ordered by the end of the week Mugglechops, what can I say watch this space, and you're next, who is is going to pair up on a fat bike excursion...

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:17 am

The OnOne says it's 32lb, which according to my converter is 14.5kgs, only 2kgs heavier than my Surly LHT! shipping seems reasonable too... hmph... but can I justify forking out all those $ for a preorder?
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:56 am

The On-One Fatty is something of a bargain though I'd personally bin the SRAM X5 shifter and derailleur as my current experience with both on a 29er has been less than wonderful. X7 on the other hand has been flawless...

I spoke to the Minister of War & Finance about the Fatty and the idea of N+1 and was left with the impression of...understanding. Which was a surprise.

The only limiting factor is that this doesn't strike me as an A to B and back to A bike. More of a way of finding an entertaining path across landscape between two car parks. Like day long or multiday journeys along the banks of certain inland Australian waterways. Expeditions if you will. And I just don't seem to have the time and opportunity for expeditions in between all the other things that life throws my way so I'd be concerned that the bike would sit there waiting for a 'rainy' day. Which'd be a shame...bikes are meant to be ridden.

However, if we had a bit of a property then I'd think really seriously about one of these instead of a farm motorbike...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

FatMuz

Postby FatMuz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm up to my second Fatbike. I started a couple of years ago with a Pugsley for beach riding. I now have a 9:zero:7 setup for trail riding (Narrower 47mm rims with Nate 3.8 inch tyres and a Maverick SC32 front fork). They are certainly not just for sand and snow... I just sold my 2011 S-Works Epic 29er because it wasn't being ridden... having way too much fun trail riding on the fatbike.
About to take delivery shortly of a Sandman Hoggar Ti fatbike... the ultimate in aggressive fat trailbikes... can't wait.
Cheers
FatMuz

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:42 pm

Is there anywhere to test ride a Fat Bike in Brisbane?

FatMuz

Postby FatMuz » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:32 pm

Crowz wrote:Is there anywhere to test ride a Fat Bike in Brisbane?
Not sure about Brisbane... but they did have a Pugsley in the bike shop (Bike Riders) at Maroochydore up here on the sunny coast a little while ago.
If you come for a drive up the coast, you are welcome to have a ride on my 9:zero:7.
Cheers
FatMuz

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:01 pm

FatMuz wrote:
Not sure about Brisbane... but they did have a Pugsley in the bike shop (Bike Riders) at Maroochydore up here on the sunny coast a little while ago.
If you come for a drive up the coast, you are welcome to have a ride on my 9:zero:7.
Cheers
FatMuz
I will actually be at Maroochydore quite a bit over summer. Might take you up on that offer!

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:49 pm

I came within a hair breadth of buying a fat bike (surly moonrider or pugsley) and was looking for a test ride in the brisbane area - ended up chasing down a guy (troy) at river city cycles in Brizzy - he really knows his stuff and is super friendly . At the time I was planning for a custom built surly pugsley and he really walked me through what was a good or bad idea. The shop doesn't have fat bikes on the floor although he said that they have sold/built quite a few. He said that periodically they set up a display with one or two of his personal fat bikes (i think he has a mukluk, pugsley and moonlander) and was willing to organize a test ride for me.

My plans for a fat bike were put on hold due to venturing into the wonderful world of recumbent trike touring so I didn't end up taking him up on the offer ... but if I ever follow through I my plans for a tour out west I will more than likely be going back to these guys
Go!Run!GAH!

NevB

Postby NevB » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:00 am

FatMuz wrote:About to take delivery shortly of a Sandman Hoggar Ti fatbike... the ultimate in aggressive fat trailbikes... can't wait.
awesome ** drool ***

Some questions please,

Will the Hoggar take Bud and Lou tires?
Did you go through a LBS or direct?
How much for shipping?

fantastic bike!

saronmcm1

Postby saronmcm1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi, can you give details on how the sandman rides( when you get it) what setup are you getting the trial tech rims or fatter.
Watching there videos that bike is bombproof, are you selling your other fatties.
Cheers
Ron

FatMuz

Postby FatMuz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:36 pm

NevB wrote:
FatMuz wrote:About to take delivery shortly of a Sandman Hoggar Ti fatbike... the ultimate in aggressive fat trailbikes... can't wait.
awesome ** drool ***

Some questions please,

Will the Hoggar take Bud and Lou tires?
Did you go through a LBS or direct?
How much for shipping?

fantastic bike!
Not sure yet about tyres... still finalising purchase.
I am dealing directly through Sandman... complete with all of its idiosyncrasies. English is not their first language and they are sometimes hard to get a response from... I think they enjoy just taking off for a ride when the mood takes them... crazy Belgians. They sound like very cool guys though. Roderick (from Sandman) was very excited about the first Hoggar Ti coming to Australia. I am currently setting up final payment for the bike (waiting on shipping quote - could be scary) so I'll let you know about the progress.

Hey Crowz, I should have my Hoggar Ti by Xmas holidays and will probably still have my 9:zero:7 fatbike (unless someone offers me good money for it)... you're welcome to come and sample the joys of fat.

Below is a pic of my 9:zero:7. Currently however I have it set up with a front suspension fork.

Cheers
FatMuz

crazyjose

Postby crazyjose » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:42 pm

Slowly building up my '12 Mukluk parts stash, scored some unused bits off of Rotorburn and from around the traps. 762mm Handlebars and the left over Ritchey WCS gear left over from my old commuter will make it a little blingy. Wheels and the left out bits of the drive train are my next acquisitions. A mate gave me a left over set of platform pedals, just gotta take off the reflectors, was going to go brown pedals but these will do till they fall apart.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:08 am

where did you guys get the 9:zero:7's from? 8)
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

FatMuz

Postby FatMuz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:57 am

I bought my frame direct from fatbikes.com
I sourced the other components from a number of overseas sites... built the wheels myself. Do a lot of research before going down this road... many components don't work well with others etc...
I'm selling mine (as see in the picture) for $3000 which isn't much more than you'd pay for a basic Pugsley.
Cheers
FatMuz

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Last week while riding the train from Cockburn to Perth I spotted something with stupidly large wheels. At first I thought it was some really deep carbons on a TT bike, but the riding position was wrong and the frame didn't match. I only caught a glimpse as we buzzed past.

Today I start trawling the MTB forum for the first time and find this thread. Aha! It must have been a fat bike.

So who here is crazy enough to commute on one of these things?

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:54 pm

I would commute on one. Thanks to a certain crazyjose that day may come in the new year :D

ozzybmx

Postby ozzybmx » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:43 pm

FatMuz wrote:I bought my frame direct from fatbikes.com
I sourced the other components from a number of overseas sites... built the wheels myself. Do a lot of research before going down this road... many components don't work well with others etc...
I'm selling mine (as see in the picture) for $3000 which isn't much more than you'd pay for a basic Pugsley.
Cheers
FatMuz

It should sell pretty quick at that price !

The Hoggar Ti is an awesome bike, looking forward to see it Muz.

crazyjose

Postby crazyjose » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I would commute on one. Thanks to a certain crazyjose that day may come in the new year :D
I am looking forward to some crazy fatness, the garage sale has started to further finance the Mukluk build. I will definitely need a riding partner though...

Gotta say a big thanks to Ty for setting me off down this mad path, I should be fit enough to commute on one me thinks....

saronmcm1

Postby saronmcm1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:39 pm

Hi,
I ride my bike that way to work in canning vale. The pug is my commute bike to work etc.
It doesnt ride like a road bike but is great fun even on the work commute.
One day the boss will let me buy some Floyds for commuting.
Cheers
Ron

crazyjose

Postby crazyjose » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 am

Has anyone fitted a Shimano drivetrain to their fatbike, it doesnt seem to be a popular choice on some of the bike I have seen. I plan to use XT as I have a bit of it spare in the stash, that and a XT isis crankset when I can get my hands on one. Only looking at going 2 x 9 or 2 x 10 at the moment.

cheers

Ades