Drive2Work Day December 10

The 2nd Womble

Drive2Work Day December 10

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:00 pm

It's finally starting to snowball. National D2W Day is December 10, with the UK following suit on the 11th, and the US on the 15th.
I had the idea as some of you know over a year ago but I lacked the ability and know how to have a crack. I'm stoked that Ed Hore and others have had the foresight and enthusiasm to see it through to fruition, and with the Poms and Yanks allowing us to get in a day early is a credit to everyone responsible.
In Melbourne and Sydney, there will be selected $6 all day parking and free 5 minute massages to help cyclists de-stress after their drives. Love it! Similar plans are in place for Brisbane. Adelaide and Perth still need someone who can organise things at that end.
Stickers and signs are available shortly on. The website for purchase to let everyone know why your car is stuck in the queue in the morning, and if they don't arrive before the due date (there has been an assurance they will) you get a full refund. Wearing your cycling helmet is another way to show people how you'd otherwise be doing the right thing.
Don't have a car? Take your bike on public transport. Various rules apply for each state regarding the removal of one or both wheels, but your bike taking up a spare seat or isle space is sending a message to bus/train/tram drivers and beuraucrats everywhere.
You can register now at http://drive2workday.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; please join us to help show those who think cyclists have no rights on our roads or the right to additional infrastructure just what the alternative would be :)
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Alien27

Re: Drive2Work Day December 10

Postby Alien27 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:57 pm

What a cracker of an idea!
Tom

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:00 pm

Yup :)
December 10: Yr12 has graduated. Graduates from HS and Uni out looking for holiday work yet school holidays haven't started yet. People working longer hours. :) it will be a busy day on the black stuff regardless.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:17 pm

would be good if it works.

We need numbers for this to work...
Can you keep us updated with the amount of registered people ??
How many is estemated to be needed to make a differene ??

You got my support, i just registered.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:28 pm

I'll try to post accurate updates. Estimated numbers would be a stab in the radiator at best as its never been done before. Hopefully we can get US and UK numbers as well. From memory close to 500 British cyclists registered in the first couple of days!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:49 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:I'll try to post accurate updates. Estimated numbers would be a stab in the radiator at best as its never been done before. Hopefully we can get US and UK numbers as well. From memory close to 500 British cyclists registered in the first couple of days!

Interested to read update here.. 8)
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:21 am

Ah yes, the Brisbane experience. Sorry Oxford I forgot about that. Concider it following in your footsteps :) I hope the cycling community pokes a few ribs and slaps a few people sane this year the way yours did.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:37 am

Davies Craig is an Aussie company. Maybe there's retail outlets for these :mrgreen:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kSNVKrktKUQ/S ... et+014.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:33 pm

I'm in

Luckily I have meetings that day out of the office so I can go the LONG way to work, just to ensure my contribution has maximum impact!

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:18 am

It's a great idea, I wonder if you could contact radio stations to try and get the message out, after all it would be a community announcement :wink:

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Fantastic, hopefully I can get a car for the day. I have registered. Any idea what the sticker will look like?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:35 pm

Love it... Inverse marketing...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:17 pm

It could be a good thing IF the event DOES give a clear indication of the difference between x-thousand cycling commuters driving instead.

If not and it's a big squib then I suppose a benefit to some would be to put us in our place. :oops:

Certainly an interesting concept - here's hoping it DOES make a difference to those who dislike cyclists taking up a bit of space.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

wilddemon

Postby wilddemon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:15 am

Keen to hear any feedback about this...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:32 pm

The silly thing is... With all the private schools already on holidays traffic is a breeze anyway... Bad choice of dates IMHO.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:58 pm

I rode, as usual, and forgot all about this day so I did not focus onthe traffic. If someone out of the blue asked me what the traffic was like going in to Perth this morning I am afraid that I'd have to say "quiet".

I think a better choice would have been sometime well away from the silly season. This time of the the year is quiet mostly. There may be some truth in the private schools bit.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:38 pm

Just found this, not happy - I would have jumped in with both feet and printed up posters etc. etc. and stuck them all over the place.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

skull

Postby skull » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:38 pm

A few of the usual choke points seemed a lot more banked up than normal.

This was in the ACT.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:44 pm

I thought to myself this morning the traffic was high for this time of year... but don't feel like my (bus) journey to work was at all hindered.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Yeah I forgot. Need to promote it more, produce car stickers (we need to be very visible doing this) and do it when all schools are all in. Maybe do it in winter when the weather might mean a day off the bike anyway. At this time of the year the traffic doesn't seem too bad.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:34 pm

I rode. I doubt my smokebox on the road at 2100 would have had the hoped for impact.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:53 pm

did my bit, besides it was a miserable day weatherwise and I had to allow for a quick getaway from work to welcome a new nephew into the world.

Can't say I noticed additional traffic, but then I dont get any on the commute anyway.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

stanevelyn

Postby stanevelyn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:22 pm

The best way to achieve maximum impact is for driving cyclists to converge on the CBD, or a central location at peak hour, and drive around for a time. Then to repeat the same for the afternoon peak thus making a full impact on the day.
If planned at the right time of year it certainly would get the message across during the peak traffic times.
The downside is that due to distance from home some would have to take a day off work, albeit for a very worthy cause. However a organised lunch time BBQ for hungry cyclist /drivers may be the go. (The massage is a great idea)

Just my opinion..................

P.S. And don't forget to drive safely. I always drive 5-10 Km/h under the limit of speed.