Moron Motorists #3

anonymousmoose

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby anonymousmoose » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:02 am

darkelf921 wrote:I had a close call at a roundabout the other day:

http://youtu.be/V07mtVNATl8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Swearing was inevitable as I didn't see the car until it was almost upon me. Sound occurs faster than the video.
Good the cops got him!!! I must confess I probably have missed seeing a cyclist when I drive my car, but never anything like in your video... crazy. I only started cycling TODAY so I imagine I will be more vigilant for bike riders now.

But as a big fan of motoring also, I do gotta say that a LOT of cyclist are also just as bad :? . I live pretty much in the Perth CBD and see a lot of craziness in peak hours. Just a month or two ago I saw the aftermath of a bike vs car. Some of them cyclist jump between cars when its not safe. You wouldnt believe how many run red lights and near misses I've seen. My own persona pet-hate is when about 2 or 3 cyclist ride on the road taking up a whole late. I see it EVERY weekend. And the irony of the situation, there is a bike path running along to the same road. :shock:

I hope I dont pickup any bad habits. Went for my first real cycle today a few kms visiting a friend. I stopped at all the red lights etc even though I could have safely gone threw.

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:07 am

fingy wrote:In an Ipod world of his own
You should send that one to the coppers... madness.

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:11 am

human909 wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Doing 30+kmh on the uphills and up to 52kmh on the downhills.
Are you sure you aren't riding a motorbike?
Maybe his taking what Lance was taking :-)

boss

Postby boss » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:33 am

duncanm wrote:
jasonc wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
Looking at that (bearing in mind it is difficult to tell with real certainty) i would say the cruze driver was the one who was most at fault. The magna certainly wasn't driving with any sort of predictability yet the cruze decided to speed up before they had any real idea what was going on. Especially as the magna was indicating, even if it was far too late.
understand what you're saying but they stopped in times. to me that means they were "driving to the conditions"
one of those ones where if you see a moron, you back off situations. unfortunately the late jim murcott driver training didn't teach that
nup.. they weren't paying attention. Magna clearly had their right indicator on at 0:10 in the vid.

(edited: at 10s, it might be their one active brake light, but the indicator is definitely on at 0:12)
Yep magna driver swerved out to avoid parked car, then back in, and slowed with indicator on.

An awkward situation but Mr Cruze wasn't paying attention and jumped the gun by doing an overtake.

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:41 am

anonymousmoose wrote:My own persona pet-hate is when about 2 or 3 cyclist ride on the road taking up a whole late. I see it EVERY weekend. And the irony of the situation, there is a bike path running along to the same road. :shock:
It seems you have yet to learn good road craft and safety on the roads. Cyclists are legally allowed to ride two abreast and in the majority of cases it is going to be safer than riding single file at the edge of a lane. Asking cyclists not do this is asking them to compromise their safety. Bike paths? Well some are next to useless and even unsafe anything above slow speeds.

The populuar cycling road of Beach Rd in Melbourne has identical complaints about cyclists. I rode it several weeks ago with a friend. Initially, despite my better judgement, I did move over when I thought there was enough space to share a lane. A couple close shaves prove the notion that if you give an inch they'll take a mile. For most of the journey I therefore took the prudent option of riding two abreast. We received one crazy motorist on the horn complaining (4WD with a clear lane next to him) but I'd prefer that to a close shave. Compromising my safety is not worth it!

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:46 am

The Mazda driver is a moron.........pulling over to the left behind a parked car, and then expecting to be able to swing right........ straight across the road.........without checking if there is any traffic coming. :?: :roll:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:48 am

human909 wrote:
anonymousmoose wrote:My own persona pet-hate is when about 2 or 3 cyclist ride on the road taking up a whole late. I see it EVERY weekend. And the irony of the situation, there is a bike path running along to the same road. :shock:
It seems you have yet to learn good road craft and safety on the roads. Cyclists are legally allowed to ride two abreast and in the majority of cases it is going to be safer than riding single file at the edge of a lane. Asking cyclists not do this is asking them to compromise their safety. Bike paths? Well some are next to useless and even unsafe anything above slow speeds.

The populuar cycling road of Beach Rd in Melbourne has identical complaints about cyclists. I rode it several weeks ago with a friend. Initially, despite my better judgement, I did move over when I thought there was enough space to share a lane. A couple close shaves prove the notion that if you give an inch they'll take a mile. For most of the journey I therefore took the prudent option of riding two abreast. We received one crazy motorist on the horn complaining (4WD with a clear lane next to him) but I'd prefer that to a close shave. Compromising my safety is not worth it!
+1.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:59 am

greyhoundtom wrote:The Mazda driver is a moron.........pulling over to the left behind a parked car, and then expecting to be able to swing right........ straight across the road.........without checking if there is any traffic coming. :?: :roll:
Two morons. The only thing the car in front did illegal was indicate late, there is no requirement to give way to vehicles BEHIND YOU! The car behind was travelling far too fast and close and then ACCELERATED and passed the car in front without indicating to pass. All in all both cars were taking actions FAR too quickly with little caution or indication of their intentions. Two cars, neither acting intelligently or cautiously, it is a recipe for an accident.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:40 pm

Just a note on the closure of older threads, it was because some people won't behave so if participants can keep this a mature family friendly forums and be conscious not to flame and defame, then it has a chance it can stay open.

Edited: Added mod note colour for JasonC - was on an iPad before so it wouldn't work
Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:50 pm

fingy wrote:In an Ipod world of his own
Blimey! :shock: :shock:

Though I must admit, I've seen that before.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:55 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Just a note on the closure of older threads, it was because some people won't behave so if participants can keep this a mature family friendly forums and be conscious not to flame and defame, then it has a chance it can stay open.
is that a MOD note (i.e. should be coloured)??

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:47 pm

human909 wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:The Mazda driver is a moron.........pulling over to the left behind a parked car, and then expecting to be able to swing right........ straight across the road.........without checking if there is any traffic coming. :?: :roll:
Two morons. The only thing the car in front did illegal was indicate late, there is no requirement to give way to vehicles BEHIND YOU! The car behind was travelling far too fast and close and then ACCELERATED and passed the car in front without indicating to pass. All in all both cars were taking actions FAR too quickly with little caution or indication of their intentions. Two cars, neither acting intelligently or cautiously, it is a recipe for an accident.
I disagree Human, the first car should have kept right and indicated earlier. It would not be unreasonable (in my opinion) to assume that the first car was pulling to the left so that they could then do a u-turn and expect them to give way before they pulling out into traffic again. I think the second car was well within their rights to go around and appears to have been paying attention as they pulled up in time to avoid a collision.

fingy

Postby fingy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:52 pm

Biffidus wrote:, the first car should have kept right and indicated earlier.
this is my take on it too, it would prevent everyone else having to second guess
where he is going.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:28 am

Yes, of course he should have indicated earlier. Everybody agrees with that. However the first car's failings do not excuse the second cars failings. :wink:

zero

Postby zero » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:21 am

human909 wrote:
In most Australian jurisdictions, not making a right turn from as near as practicable to the middle of the road would also be an offence. Driver was entering a double driveway, doesn't need to swing left to make that turn.

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:53 pm

human909 wrote:Yes, of course he should have indicated earlier. Everybody agrees with that. However the first car's failings do not excuse the second cars failings. :wink:
Lets just all agree both drivers are morons.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:00 pm

anonymousmoose wrote:
human909 wrote:Yes, of course he should have indicated earlier. Everybody agrees with that. However the first car's failings do not excuse the second cars failings. :wink:
I have no trouble agreeing with that.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

boss

Postby boss » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:02 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
anonymousmoose wrote:
I have no trouble agreeing with that.
Given the chance most anybody can act like a moron. Myself included!

Although I do watch for cyclists like a hawk, I always make a point of it and I'm sure most of you do the same.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:06 pm

anonymousmoose wrote:
...........No............. :mrgreen:

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:23 pm

2012 Oppy A4

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:08 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:
anonymousmoose wrote:
I'd say most drivers (me included) are occasionally morons either through not taking enough care or being impatient (I've done both). Then, there's some that are often morons.

And on the odd occasion I'm a moron on my bike, but its usually through a poor/misjudged decision than anything deliberate. Or that time when I didn't see the lane markings because there was cars on top of them and I didn't pay enough attention as I was going over them myself.

...Just to be fair! Anyway, back to the vids :)

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:36 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:
anonymousmoose wrote:
I'd say most drivers (me included) are occasionally morons either through not taking enough care or being impatient (I've done both). Then, there's some that are often morons.

And on the odd occasion I'm a moron on my bike, but its usually through a poor/misjudged decision than anything deliberate. Or that time when I didn't see the lane markings because there was cars on top of them and I didn't pay enough attention as I was going over them myself.

...Just to be fair! Anyway, back to the vids :)
You dont sound like a moron. I think a moron is more-so the way one generally acts... everyone makes moron-like mistakes.... [sarcasm on] except me of course, Benz drivers are perfect :lol: Like my grandpa used to say in Germany driving his Toyota and a Mercedes cuts him off "arrrgh!! Eine typischer Mercedes Fahrer" :P
Last edited by anonymousmoose on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:47 pm

InTheWoods wrote:I'd say most drivers (me included) are occasionally morons either through not taking enough care or being impatient (I've done both). Then, there's some that are often morons.

You are describing simple mistakes. All humans are liable to make the occasional mistake. It is crucial to keep the consequences of such mistakes minor. Your true moron makes such mistakes all the time and/or makes abject mistakes that are truly life-threatening or insane - like the woman who was over 0.25 BAC who drove the wrong way through a Macca's drive-thruu, with her kids aboard :roll:

That is a moron.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:37 pm

il padrone wrote:You are describing simple mistakes. All humans are liable to make the occasional mistake.
Most people if they take things SERIOUSLY enough then they don't make mistakes.

We as a society don't tolerate mistakes from our professionals. We don't tolerate engineers making a mistake that causes a bridge to fail. We don't tolerate and electrician who wires up things wrongly that leads to electrocution. We don't tolerate a rock climbing guide that cannot ensure his client is safe. We don't tolerate a train driver who misses a signal and drives his train into another.

The question is why do we tolerate driving mistakes so readily? I do recognise that driving is a dynamic environment that we allow non professionals to participate in so some tolerance is understandable. However the tolerance that we have towards injuring and maiming somebody with a motor vehicle has no parallel. In almost any other circumstance you would be charge with assault or criminal negligence.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:41 pm

human909 wrote:Most people if they take things SERIOUSLY enough then they don't make mistakes.
You missed my point about magnitude of consequences :wink:

Humans make mistakes..... always. We all do. It's a part of the human condition. Responsible humans however keep the consequences to a minimum, by concentrating attention on things that matter. Morons do not.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."