Weight lifting for the legs??

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Weight lifting for the legs??

Postby bardygrub » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:01 am

Hi All,

Have been back on the bike since Easter this year after hanging up the bike when i was 20 years old (17 years ago).I rode for ten years as a kid and only ever did a bit of circut training with light weights.
I recently picked up a weight bench with weights that has a leg curl part to it.

I dont want to be a sprinter as i have more of the tall leaner build, but was wondering if weights for the legs would be a good idea? Does any one else use weights for thier cycling?` :?:
Image
Image
User avatar
bardygrub
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: North East Victoria

by BNA » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:51 am

BNA
 

Re: Weight lifting for the legs??

Postby biftek » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:51 am

weights for the legs? what like those ankle weights? nah they are a waste of time and money

weight training for your legs are , squats , lunges , ham string curls and extensions , and deadlifts
biftek
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:57 am

Re: Weight lifting for the legs??

Postby bardygrub » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:33 am

biftek wrote:weights for the legs? what like those ankle weights? nah they are a waste of time and money

weight training for your legs are , squats , lunges , ham string curls and extensions , and deadlifts

ivegut a weight bench with the leg curl part, so from what you say, i could lie down on it(gut side down) and to do ham string curls? and sit on it to do thigh extensions? how much weigt do i put on it for each ?
Image
Image
User avatar
bardygrub
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: North East Victoria

Re: Weight lifting for the legs??

Postby Dean Whittle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:56 am

My recommendation would be to talk to a professional personal trainer, preferably with some experience in working with cyclists, so that they can tailor an training program based on your needs and current abilities.

I've had excellent experience with CrossFit, so if there's one in your area maybe get in touch with them and see what they can do for you. CrossFit affiliates are listed here ( www.crossfit.com ).

In the mean time I would also recommend against isolation exercises such as hamstring curls and leg extensions, and go for simple compound movements like squats and deadlifts which use multiple muscle groups in the lift.

All the best with your training and let us know how you go.

Regards
Dean Whittle
http://www.itsprimalprotection.com

2012 Focus Planet TR 5.0
Dean Whittle
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: Weight lifting for the legs??

Postby bardygrub » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:28 am

Dean Whittle wrote:My recommendation would be to talk to a professional personal trainer, preferably with some experience in working with cyclists, so that they can tailor an training program based on your needs and current abilities.

I've had excellent experience with CrossFit, so if there's one in your area maybe get in touch with them and see what they can do for you. CrossFit affiliates are listed here ( http://www.crossfit.com ).

In the mean time I would also recommend against isolation exercises such as hamstring curls and leg extensions, and go for simple compound movements like squats and deadlifts which use multiple muscle groups in the lift.

All the best with your training and let us know how you go.

Regards

Thanks for the info Dean, shall do.
Image
Image
User avatar
bardygrub
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: North East Victoria

Re: Weight lifting for the legs??

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Dean Whittle wrote:...
In the mean time I would also recommend against isolation exercises such as hamstring curls and leg extensions, and go for simple compound movements like squats and deadlifts which use multiple muscle groups in the lift....

I strongly agree with this.

In addition to the above, I've found that lunges, and particularly jump lunges to be very beneficial for cycling. Also running up and down stairs. They're more of an explosive movement than the resistant based exercises. Your legs will scream at you, but there's a perverse pleasure in that :twisted:

Dean Whittle wrote:My recommendation would be to talk to a professional personal trainer, preferably with some experience in working with cyclists, so that they can tailor an training program based on your needs and current abilities.

I really agree with this too - find one that is particularly interested in endurance sports like cycling as it makes quite a difference.
Ozkaban
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Weight lifting for the legs??

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:14 pm

Ozkaban wrote:
Dean Whittle wrote:My recommendation would be to talk to a professional personal trainer, preferably with some experience in working with cyclists, so that they can tailor an training program based on your needs and current abilities.

I really agree with this too - find one that is particularly interested in endurance sports like cycling as it makes quite a difference.

And if they know anything about performance cycling, they'll tell you to get out of the gym and to go ride the bike instead.

Old thread.
User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
 
Posts: 3408
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Re: Weight lifting for the legs??

Postby bardygrub » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks all :)
Image
Image
User avatar
bardygrub
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: North East Victoria

Re: Weight lifting for the legs??

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:And if they know anything about performance cycling, they'll tell you to get out of the gym and to go ride the bike instead.

Old thread.


Can squats or leg presses in the gym help your sprint though. I'm finding it very hard to win a race with no sprint. :?
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2794
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Weight lifting for the legs??

Postby Crawf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:And if they know anything about performance cycling, they'll tell you to get out of the gym and to go ride the bike instead.

Old thread.


Can squats or leg presses in the gym help your sprint though. I'm finding it very hard to win a race with no sprint. :?


They'll certainly help you generate more power, but that power is no good if you can't put it to the ground and your sprinting technique sucks or you're fatigued. Squats are very taxing.
Crawf
 
Posts: 1654
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Weight lifting for the legs??

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:08 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:And if they know anything about performance cycling, they'll tell you to get out of the gym and to go ride the bike instead.

Old thread.


Can squats or leg presses in the gym help your sprint though. I'm finding it very hard to win a race with no sprint. :?

Not nearly as much as doing sprints on the bike will help, and even then, some gym work can dull your sprint.

What matters for acceleration is a high explosive power to weight ratio, and the power needs to be high force delivered at speed. Weights in the gym don't address the speed element, and are not all that specific. If you are not blessed with a good dollop of fast twitch, then you'll need to work on ways to (i) improve what you've got and (ii) reduce the number of people you have to beat in a sprint.

After an acceleration, it's all about high power to aero drag ratio.

Many people arrive at the pointy end of a race too fatigued to sprint well (or not placed well enough as a result of a lack of condition), which is an aerobic condition issue, not a sprinting issue.
Of course there's also a lot of craft to sprinting well.
User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
 
Posts: 3408
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Re: Weight lifting for the legs??

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:10 pm

Crawf wrote:[
They'll certainly help you generate more power, but that power is no good if you can't put it to the ground and your sprinting technique sucks or you're fatigued. Squats are very taxing.


I used to go to the gym before i started racing back in 07 and used to do leg presses on an inlined contraption. I reckon I had more of a sprint then. Now I'm able to tt but that is it.
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2794
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Weight lifting for the legs??

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:19 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:What matters for acceleration is a high explosive power to weight ratio, and the power needs to be high force delivered at speed. Weights in the gym don't address the speed element, and are not all that specific. If you are not blessed with a good dollop of fast twitch, then you'll need to work on ways to (i) improve what you've got and (ii) reduce the number of people you have to beat in a sprint.

After an acceleration, it's all about high power to aero drag ratio.

Many people arrive at the pointy end of a race too fatigued to sprint well (or not placed well enough as a result of a lack of condition), which is an aerobic condition issue, not a sprinting issue.
Of course there's also a lot of craft to sprinting well.


Thanks Alex, there may be a fair bit of arriving at the end too fatigued and also a distinct lack of fast twitch.
I used to race against a bloke who had similar tt ability and sprint or lack thereof. He had better recovery between efforts than me. He could attack- rest, attack - rest, in quick succession and be able to get away towards the end of the race, very hard to beat.
Now I'm racing against others who have a better kick at the end of the race, probably at the start also :lol:
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2794
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm


Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit