What sort of training should I be doing.

AJ_

What sort of training should I be doing.

Postby AJ_ » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:24 pm

Hey Guys just after a bit of an idea of what sort of training I should be doing.

I am currently Racing F grade in masters doing crits (yes grading does go down that low). My main trouble in races is hanging on. Its seems if I am around at the end for the sprint, that is the easy part and a podium is of some kind always comes. The problem being is on the main track my club uses (casey fields) there is a small incline that elevates my heart up to about 94% - 96% max heart rate. I then spend the rest of the lap recovering from that and trying to hang on (this poses another problem if I do hang on I win the sprint then I am frowned upon for doing any work). Eventually most days I will get dropped some where near the end when the pace gets picked up a bit.

So would love some feed back on to some training to focus on to get up to a pace to be able to hang on under the conditions of a crit.

or

If any one has time for a training program I would be most thankful as well. I have time for 3 training rides outside of race day. But if needed could get on the Trainer if I have too.

My background: I am 35, only been cycling 2yrs, cycling started as rehab from a full ACL reconstruction. Had a lot of muscle wastage from not being able to do anything for 2yrs. All is good now and no niggles or complaints other then the addiction that is everything cycling :)

Cheers Guys

foo on patrol

Re: What sort of training should I be doing.

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:29 pm

You don't say what you are doing now, as far as training goes. :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

AJ_

Postby AJ_ » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:48 pm

Have only been getting out about twice a week at the moment due to winter. Usually ride around 35 -50km which is mostly flat with few small hills thrown in etc. Normally average about 85% max heart rate. Now weather has picked up and motivation and body is good I am keen for a bit of structured training in the hope of being able to reach my goals. ie hang on and contribute to the work load so not be scorned out for taking a place.

I hope I have answered your question.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Are you doing any longer rides on the weekend, like 60-70Klm for a start.

If your only doing two days a week then it will not do much for you at all as far as racing goes. You need to get more Ks in to give you a base fitness before getting excited about beating anyone in sprints.

Start thinking how you can do more through the week eg; morning and night but you must do more riding before you can really think of sprint work. :wink:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:15 pm

I agree about increasing the distance of your rides, but also attack some hills since this is where you're struggling.

By 'attack' I mean include some reasonable hills in your rides. Maybe not ones that will kill you upfront, more a steady hill that has you working constantly for a reasonable period.

AJ_

Postby AJ_ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:29 pm

Yeah there is a hill I do that is 5% that leads into 8% and is about 600 meters this is usually in the 50k ride I do. So in short dont focus on anything just ride more often and more k's ?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:41 pm

Yep but don't kill yourself on every ride, pace yourself for the first six weeks and then start to do some interval work.

Foo
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:11 pm

Basically if you up your kms from your 2 rides / 100 kms per week to 3 or 4 rides a week you will see big improvement for now with out having to do much else. Just have fun and don't over think it. Maybe one harder a ride per week plus your race and a couple of good paced endurance rides. Do that for 6 weeks and you will probably be moving up a grade.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:01 pm

AJ_ wrote:Hey Guys just after a bit of an idea of what sort of training I should be doing.

I am currently Racing F grade in masters doing crits (yes grading does go down that low). My main trouble in races is hanging on. Its seems if I am around at the end for the sprint, that is the easy part and a podium is of some kind always comes. The problem being is on the main track my club uses (casey fields) there is a small incline that elevates my heart up to about 94% - 96% max heart rate. I then spend the rest of the lap recovering from that and trying to hang on (this poses another problem if I do hang on I win the sprint then I am frowned upon for doing any work). Eventually most days I will get dropped some where near the end when the pace gets picked up a bit.

So would love some feed back on to some training to focus on to get up to a pace to be able to hang on under the conditions of a crit.

or

If any one has time for a training program I would be most thankful as well. I have time for 3 training rides outside of race day. But if needed could get on the Trainer if I have too.

My background: I am 35, only been cycling 2yrs, cycling started as rehab from a full ACL reconstruction. Had a lot of muscle wastage from not being able to do anything for 2yrs. All is good now and no niggles or complaints other then the addiction that is everything cycling :)

Cheers Guys
Maybe try one our training plans. Suitable for just about all levels:
http://www.rstsport.com/?event=training" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ratter

Postby ratter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:28 pm

Hey AJ

were you the guy that just moved up from G grade?
I have just started racing (done 2 races with southern masters) 1 at Sandown and 1 at casey and started in F grade although have been told my next race will be a higher grade.

Your heart rate percentages, are they based on 220 minus your age ie 185 in your case or based on a maximum you have seen while putting in an effort?
My max is a bit higher than the 220 minus age, if you are the same, you may not be putting in as much effort as you think you are, do you feel you can push harder?
With the 2 races I have done, so I'm far from an expert, I felt my heart rate was inflated towards the end of the race, possibly from the andrenalin going through my body

I know quite a few people that do triathlons etc and many will not use their heart rate monitor while racing, they go by how they feel

AJ_

Postby AJ_ » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Hey Ratter

Nah that was not me have not been for a couple weeks due to around the bay etc.

I have done few different stress tests to find more true max heart rate which is higher then the basic formula. I use a heart rate monitor not to dictate what I do but to help with my recover. For example I have learnt with breathing properly i can recover faster. When I get dropped it is always on my body saying you have red lined for too long sorry time to shut up shop.

After a close assessment and a lot of reading from the advise I got here. I just don't have a good base and I am going to fast on the rides I do. So I am now into day 3 or a basic base building plan which is going great. Already seeing some improvement to my surprise. Which is motivating me to stick to the bordem of going slow :( I have also managed to allocate 8 to 11 hrs week depending on the week with only 1 rest day. So will not be back racing till after christmas I think want to get a solid 8 weeks building.

Cheers
AJ