Colnago real or fake?????????????

framefinder

Colnago real or fake?????????????

Postby framefinder » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi, I just found a honey hole of old bikes, some I hope are rare. these are a few I am questioning on being worth anything?
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y49 ... CF8598.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

other images of other frames are in my photobucket, any help would be awesome, I am finding lots of old spares too, like a nice early brooks saddle (the biggest one they ever made) 1800s stuff! if I will upload some another dozen bikes I found that I can date or tell what they are soon.

GaryF

Re: Colnago real or fake?????????????

Postby GaryF » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:11 am

The photo of the head tube shows a fake Colnago - sorry. I do like the lugs though. They could be found on some pretty decent frames of the 60's and 70's.

framefinder

Postby framefinder » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:34 am

thats ok, I just thought with dura ace parts and shimano 600 bits it would of been a high end bike of its time, I wonder what frame it is?

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:42 am

I can only see the one photo and didn't recognise the Shimano parts but I did notice the fine headset. If the price is right I'd be tempted to buy it for the components. It would be nice to know what the frame material is but i's probably been re-painted. What are the fork dropouts like? are the cast or pressed steel? This may give you a clue as to the quality of the frame. It they are cast and say Suntour, Zeus, Campagnolo, etc, it may be a very good frame.

framefinder

Postby framefinder » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:05 pm

I can see "olo" on the rear of the bike where the wheel bolts on in small stamped letters and the rest of the word is worn off, the forks are some italian name that make motorbikes and I guess road road forks but i can't find anything on them, I went to my local shop and he thinks its italian but didnt have his glasses to inspect it. the frame has been painted in the past. I am thinking of throwing the whole thing on ebay with a 100 photos so people can see what i see. it rides great but I want to do up my skidstar gt frame that I found with this bike. I was going to swap over the parts but its a really fast bike with the bits on it.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:12 pm

framefinder wrote: I am thinking of throwing the whole thing on ebay with a 100 photos so people can see what i see. .
Might be helpful to do it here instead of questions and garbled clues :wink:

LG

Postby LG » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:01 pm

You never know, someone here might offer you a few bucks for it too.
LG = Low Gear

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:16 pm

Yea more pics, just from that one it's definitely something interesting.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

framefinder

Postby framefinder » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:20 pm

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y49 ... CF8605.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y49 ... CF8604.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y49 ... CF8602.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y49 ... CF8607.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y49 ... CF8614.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

let me know if I have found any gold?

framefinder

Postby framefinder » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:31 pm

if someone here is interested in putting an honest price on the bikes, frames and parts i will be posting I will always consider offers, at the moment I am looking for a bike to restore, I clean out old sheds for a living so I will be running in to a few odd bits every week.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:07 am

I don't know who made the frame but it's nicer that what I first suspected. It would probably be a frame from the 70's and, with the Shimano 600 components, would make a nice riding bike.

The other frame is a Moulton which was imported into Australia by Malvern Star. I think there is a fan base for Moulton's but it is just that little bit more interesting with the MalvernStat decals on it.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:36 pm

framefinder wrote: I clean out old sheds for a living so I will be running in to a few odd bits every week.
Now that sounds like an interesting gig. Bet you find all sorts of 'treasures'?

framefinder

Postby framefinder » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:09 am

its a good job, not an easy job and sometimes you might work for 2 days digging out treasure and then they want to keep it, you should see this bike he kept, amazing and I don't know much about old stuff.