Free-Syd-90s Miyata Ninety (Huge)

Members classifieds for selling bicycles / parts. PRIVATE OFFERS ONLY
Forum rules
Newbies, please read the Market Place Rules before posting in this section. NEW UPDATED RULES !!!

Post Title Format: [Your Location] Item Title

WTS no longer required - and your location is required.

Free-Syd-90s Miyata Ninety (Huge)

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:28 pm

This was my lovely reliable commuter for a long time, until I wanted to change the seat height and noticed the seat post was stuck. I tried to remove it, and couldn't. I started to slice the seat post and it still wouldn't move, then I gave up. I was going to try caustic soda, which dissolves Al, but not steel, but then didn't bother (I have used this method to remove a stuck stem and it works, but ruins the paint). Instead I got my Nishiki, which I rode for ~30,000km before the frame broke a couple of weeks ago.

The frame has been sitting in the garage for years. I'm never going to get around to it. There is a bit of rust, but it's all surface. Needs a sand blast and a repaint.

Top tube 57cm, seat tube 61cm, Miyata Cro-mo steel, had 27inch wheels and would have to have long reach brakes to convert to 700c. As mentioned above, has a stuck seat post which has been mutilated - needs dissolving or someone with more patience than I have (and a hacksaw blade).

Price: FREE - need space for the kid's bikes and I need to get rid of this constant reminder of my uselessness.

bigfriendlyvegan

by BNA » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:43 pm

BNA

Re: Free-Syd-90s Miyata Ninety (Huge)

Postby ghostpoet » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:43 pm

Happy Humber is a taller gent. He is in Perth, and I know he was chasing a frame. He's a lovely chap, too...
ghostpoet

Postby grantw » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:57 pm

Just for the receiver, a good bath with ammonia (homebrand floor cleaning ammonia ftw) will free an alloy post in a steel frame every time.
grantw

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:41 pm

grantw wrote:Just for the receiver, a good bath with ammonia (homebrand floor cleaning ammonia ftw) will free an alloy post in a steel frame every time.

Nope, tried that one. I went down the list on Sheldon and a few other sites (with the exception of heating it with a blow torch, which I don't have), to no avail. The only guaranteed method from Sheldon was the hacksaw method, which I tried but got impatient with. I do know the caustic soda works, since I've done it with a stem in a fork, but I didn't get around to it here.
bigfriendlyvegan

Postby grantw » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Must be awfully stuck then.
grantw

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:58 pm

grantw wrote:Must be awfully stuck then.

Stuck, but not impossible to remove. You just need some patience. I've given up.

Plus, bump. I'll reduce the price again to -$0
bigfriendlyvegan

Return to Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales