Cable Slap

JessicaAlba

Cable Slap

Postby JessicaAlba » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:23 pm

Hoping this is the right place.

Since owning my Felt, I've had this issue of what I once thought to be creaking and rattling from the headset region. I figured it was cable slap where the rear cables contact the side of the head tube, so sliced open some black aquarium CO2 tubing as a makeshift sleeve. Did nothing. Still really worried there was something really bad wrong with my bike, I decided to put up and shut up.

Until my ride on Saturday.

Finally found the source of the noise...there are two cables that contact each other below the steerer and on rough road rattle and vibrate quite loudly. Now that I have worked it out, I don't know what to do with them... I can't cable tie them, as they separate a good fifteen mil when turning the front wheel. I don't want to use the CO2 tube again, as it's pretty ghetto looking and I am reluctant to pull all the bar tape off, remove the cables and slip something over them...

What do you guys do??
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

Stuey

Re: Cable Slap

Postby Stuey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:56 pm

I don't use these, but had just seen them and am throwing them up as a possibility... They're meant for protecting the frame (such as head tube) but might do the job.

If you were able to disconnect the cable, I'd have suggested an electrical grommet, the black ones used for cables going through holes.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 pm

Sounds like you have some unsightly cables that need a trim.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:23 pm

Looking at a photo of your bike I can see that both the rear and front derailleur cables sit right besides each other just below the handle bars.

Seeing the cables separate as you say 15 mm when cornering, I just wonder if it would be possible to cut a 20 mm section of the aquarium tubing and use it as as a spacer between the cables, holding in place by feeding a cable tie around one cable through the aquarium tube and then around the other cable.

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:50 am

You mean making the tubing like the horizontal part of a H, with the cable tie running thru the middle in a sort of Figure8...?

That is brilliant. Will give that some thought, thanks!
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins