CAIRNS-BOURKE-SYDNEY

tenniscourt

CAIRNS-BOURKE-SYDNEY

Postby tenniscourt » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:34 pm

Hi All,

I am doing a charity ride from Cairns to Sydney- via Bourke in August next year. Can I please get some advice on what those roads are like, is this route suicide, or OK for someone who is clearly looking to cause herself huge amounts of pain and suffering?? What are the shoulders like, are there heaps of road trains?

ANY assistance that you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated... wanting to get a route sorted asap.

Thanks very, very much!

C.

elantra

Re: CAIRNS-BOURKE-SYDNEY

Postby elantra » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:36 am

Hi Ms C, hope this helps a bit.
About 3 years ago i met a French couple who rode part of the probable route you are planning.
They rode heavily loaded (with camping gear) hybrid bikes, starting at Mt Isa (which obviously is a long way west of Cairns)

I am fairly sure their route was Mt Isa -Cloncurry -Winton -Barcaldine -Blackall -Mitchell - Miles -Roma -Toowoomba.
It took them 28 days and they had a good time, saying that overall road conditions were good.

But i think (from memory) they said traffic was heavier after Roma but i suspect you would be heading different direction (south) by then.
They said the weather was perfect for most of the way (August/September 2009).
They did say that at one stage there was a useful side-road parallel to the highway which was welcome.
Obviously your style of journey will be different to theirs, but that gives you some ideas.
Steve.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:24 am

The roads are generally fine...primarily because they are truck routes. Which is a double edged sword.

Used to live in Bourke and the Kidman Way is a well known truck route between Western and Northern QLD and Melbourne or Adelaide. It is also a popular caravan route for the 'snowbirders'.

So it is actually quite fine quality wise down (though minimal shoulders) to Bourke but well traffic-ed. Much of QLD is over 200 km between services too. Bear both in mind. There are many less well travelled alternatives but they are lonlier, poorly serviced and almost always unsealed.

Heading south east out of Bourke....same issue. Road is fine (again with minimal shoulders) but often busy. Less trucks perhaps (at least down to Nyngan). Further in from Nyngan...much busier. Rather than head down to Dubbo we used to travel back east via Warren, Gilgandra and Dunedoo and on into the Upper Hunter (Broke, Wollombi)...longer but prettier

Either way...mad (in a good way) ride.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

tenniscourt

Postby tenniscourt » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:22 pm

... delayed response: thanks so much- appreciated!!!

Does anyone know if it's best to go inland from Townsville? I was thinking about going in from Airlie?

Thanks for the advice re the Dubbo leg- have taken that one on board!!! Does anyone know if I need permits or anything on any of the roads, or if cyclists are not allowed on any of the roads?

Thanks!
C

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:12 am

No permits required
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:02 pm

tenniscourt wrote:... delayed response: thanks so much- appreciated!!!

Does anyone know if it's best to go inland from Townsville? I was thinking about going in from Airlie?

Thanks for the advice re the Dubbo leg- have taken that one on board!!! Does anyone know if I need permits or anything on any of the roads, or if cyclists are not allowed on any of the roads?

Thanks!
C
Not Airlie Beach.
Probably the best option is to go to Charters Towers from Townsville.
To go to Airlie Beach involves a massive distance on the BRUCE HIGHWAY, to be avoided at all costs.

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Heading south east out of Bourke....same issue. Road is fine (again with minimal shoulders) but often busy. Less trucks perhaps (at least down to Nyngan). Further in from Nyngan...much busier. Rather than head down to Dubbo we used to travel back east via Warren, Gilgandra and Dunedoo and on into the Upper Hunter (Broke, Wollombi)...longer but prettier.
Very true I live out this way road trains are common, generally the drivers are excellent though. If I was riding to Sydney I would be going Gilgandra, Mendooran, Dunedoo, Merriwa, then down through the hunter valley, miss the worst of the blue mountains as well as Dubbo, Orange, Bathurst is a very busy road.