Skins to sue UCI for $2m

RonK

Skins to sue UCI for $2m

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:39 am

Just read this in an NZ paper this morning. McQuaid and Verbruggen also cited.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Alien27

Re: Skins to sue UCI for $2m

Postby Alien27 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:46 am

Its in the SMH this morning as well
Tom

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:48 am

Wouldn't Skins need to prove low sales/loss of income? Seems to me like they are jumping on the bandwagon just for some publicity.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:56 am

Ross wrote:Wouldn't Skins need to prove low sales/loss of income? Seems to me like they are jumping on the bandwagon just for some publicity.
Well, someone needs to put the UCI under pressure if change is to be achieved. McQuaid has indicated it's going to be business as usual.

Commercial pressure has by far the greatest leverage.

Let's hope a few more high profile sponsors join in.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

boss

Postby boss » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:24 am

RonK wrote:
Ross wrote:Wouldn't Skins need to prove low sales/loss of income? Seems to me like they are jumping on the bandwagon just for some publicity.
Well, someone needs to put the UCI under pressure if change is to be achieved. McQuaid has indicated it's going to be business as usual.

+1

I am sure that if Skins is taking action the UCI it is a costly exercise, and one that would not be done purely for publicity purposes. I know that a cynic may disagree, but I'm sure their PR department did the maths and a lawsuit surely is not worth a few newspaper articles and MAYBE 10 seconds on the evening news.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:51 pm

jimboss wrote:
RonK wrote:

+1

I am sure that if Skins is taking action the UCI it is a costly exercise, and one that would not be done purely for publicity purposes. I know that a cynic may disagree, but I'm sure their PR department did the maths and a lawsuit surely is not worth a few newspaper articles and MAYBE 10 seconds on the evening news.
Ah, I think the trick here is that they THREATEN to take legal action. Get all the 'Look aren't we good, virtuous corporate citizens' publicity, maybe even squeeze some concessions out of the UCI and then they quietly let it drop. No or little cost, fair amount of positive spin. Been done many times in other areas of business....
Cheers
Richard

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:00 pm

For those who don't read newspapers and didn't know what everyone was talking about :)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/c ... 6510505571" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:23 pm

So if Skins take their bat and ball (and compression clothing) and pull out of cycling, what other pro sport are they going to find that is clean?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:38 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/aus ... 28t0d.html
For those who don't want to be soiled by a Murdoch rag.

Not having a go at you IDR :) . Just don't like Rupy :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:04 pm

Ross wrote:So if Skins take their bat and ball (and compression clothing) and pull out of cycling, what other pro sport are they going to find that is clean?
They'll just continue their rugby league sponsorship. A bunch of clean cut well mannered lads engaging in robust healthy activity.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:58 pm

WyvernRH wrote:Ah, I think the trick here is that they THREATEN to take legal action. Get all the 'Look aren't we good, virtuous corporate citizens' publicity, maybe even squeeze some concessions out of the UCI and then they quietly let it drop. No or little cost, fair amount of positive spin. Been done many times in other areas of business....
Cheers
Richard
That's sounds extremely likely. It is PR as well, "we are not a doping company" plus getting the PR value on the wake of this scandal - if any other companies now try this, they wern't the first, but a joint action would be more effective to hold the UCI more accountable and at ransom. Could be time to start a new cycling league...
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Ross wrote:So if Skins take their bat and ball (and compression clothing) and pull out of cycling, what other pro sport are they going to find that is clean?
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:They'll just continue their rugby league sponsorship. A bunch of clean cut well mannered lads engaging in robust healthy activity.
:D :D & they say you it's hard to pick up on sarcasm on de interwebs.