Importing Quality Euro E-Bike

sharppa

Importing Quality Euro E-Bike

Postby sharppa » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:57 pm

Hello,

I am keen to buy an e-bike for the missus for the ~30km ride into work as it is just too far to ride a full pedal power bike both ways every day of the week. I have my heart set on a quality European bike (Focus) but according to Derby Cycles (distributor) they are not available here.

So my question: has anyone imported a new European quality e-bike into Australia and how can you do it?

I would not have thought that this would be too difficult a task in this day and age.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Paul.

KonaCommuter

Re: Importing Quality Euro E-Bike

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Gazelle Innergy FTW
2012 Oppy A4

smoran

Postby smoran » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:11 am

Yep recommend the Gazelle Innergy XT(http://www.gazellebicycles.com.au/orang ... ?task=view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). There are plenty of Gazelle dealers around Australia (http://www.gazellebicycles.com.au/deale ... lers-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) whom I'm sure would be happy to sell you a bike. Or you can do what I did and buy two (one for me and one for the wife!).

I also have a 30km commute (each way) that is quite hilly and I use the Innergy XT for that. A silver battery will (just) have enough power to get me there and back - so I recharge at work.

Your Average speed will be slower than a road bike (I avg around 23km/h for the trip) so expect around 1hr 20 to 1hr 30 min journey. In winter/Spring I was cycling in working my business work pants/long shirt but its just started getting a little hot for that so I'm wearing soccer shorts/tshirt and jogging shoes.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:26 pm

Many of the big German and Europeans brands got onto ebikes in the boom and so are still relatively young in providing a comprehensive offering.

I agree with the recommendations here - Gazelle have a great name, have been in the game with ebike for a while and are available in locally in Australia. Though Australia is now coming inline with European regulations regarding ebikes, buying locally will save you the hassle of importing and paying duties plus all of the related and unexpected paperwork that you may have. Plus you have a local service partner. It is good that you already have in mind buying a quality brand - particularly for ebikes there are a number of dodgy offerings about in Australian from noname companies that look the goods, some even with high pricetags.
Cycling is in my BNA

VeloElectric

Postby VeloElectric » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:45 am

AUbicycles wrote:Many of the big German and Europeans brands got onto ebikes in the boom and so are still relatively young in providing a comprehensive offering.
Quite a few of the normal bicycle importers are looking at bringing in Euro e-Bikes. Watch this space... with the market maturing, and the Pedalec legislation now well and truly entrenched, the importers are seeing what they can offer.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:28 pm

You are right - it will be a matter of time as the big name brands are concentrating on existing markets and ebikes are still a big learning curve. But it provides opportunities for innovators.
Cycling is in my BNA

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:47 am

E-bikes are the next niche now that 650B has swept into MTB and CX into the roadie scene...growth, there must be growth!!

Check out what Merida offer the French - Nuvinci hubs, Bosch motors, Magura hydro brakes...
http://merida-bikes.com/fr_ch/cms/1568/fr_ch-e-bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:01 am

I actually took the time to learn how nucvinci works - it has been around for a while however only recently is being adopted by some.

Interesting that they have gone for the bosch - for a commuter the clearance is fine and for the MTB it is turned though still gives it a healthy 19.7kg on the scales.
Cycling is in my BNA