I wish we had media like this here in Australia..(UK Times)

AndyTheMan

I wish we had media like this here in Australia..(UK Times)

Postby AndyTheMan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:47 am

Look, I live half my life here and half in the UK, my wife is British.

As such, I read UK online papers and all that. This is an email I received today after signing up (some 12 months ago) to a safer cycling survey from The Times in London.

Can you ever imagine the Daily Smellograph being professional enough to take on this type of story??
Dear Reader

A year ago, a journalist at The Times was very seriously injured while cycling to work. Mary Bowers, a much loved and hugely talented reporter, survived the accident but is only minimally conscious and is still recovering in hospital.

We make no apology for having begun a campaign on such a personal basis, only an apology for not having begun one earlier. Since Mary's accident, more than 100 cyclists have died on Britain's roads.

Today, a cross-party Parliamentary inquiry will open to investigate ways of encouraging more people to cycle.

The panel of ten MPs has agreed to incorporate your views into this study. We ask you, our 36,000 pledged supporters, to complete a short questionnaire for use in the inquiry. You can do so here: thetimes.co.uk/cyclesafesurvey

In four weeks, we will pass on your responses to the Parliamentary team as it calls for written submissions of evidence. The panel's report, which will be published in early 2013, should promote cycling as a safe, viable means of transport.

The Times Cities fit for Cycling campaign is not just committed to seeing meaningful improvements in cycle safety but the transformation of the urban environment so that people can cycle happily, healthily and safely in Britain's cities.

Thank you once again for your continued support.

James Harding
Editor of The Times

Link to survey here:
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cy ... .ece#tab-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AndyTheMan

Re: I wish we had media like this here in Australia..(UK Tim

Postby AndyTheMan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 am

I still think this is the best bit...

We make no apology for having begun a campaign on such a personal basis, only an apology for not having begun one earlier.

Phil

Postby Phil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:26 pm

Agreed.

Personally I am loathe to read the drivel that passes for mainstream media in this country.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:01 pm

I love this kind of reporting. Send this to your local MP - get as many as you can to do it. Send it to your local newspaper.

Get everyone to do it!

What passes as "media" in this country makes me very upset. :(

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:06 pm

Just emailed David Bradbury...
David, I wanted to share an article, from the UK. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cy ... .ece#tab-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It is a shame that we cannot be as cyclist friendly as they are in Europe - In fact, many car drivers are proud to be anti-cyclist, an attitude that needs to change. I have seen the plans for cycling and pedestrian upgrades for the Penrith region, which is great, however it does not address improving driver behaviours and attitudes. I don't have all the answers, but in my opinion, driver attitude is the single most important safety factor for road cyclists, and is one that seems to have been overlooked again. Thanks for your time again.
Awaiting response.