How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:40 am

Kenzo wrote:Hehehe... Imagine flying around a corner and running into a photocopier... I guess it's possible, kerbside cleanup in a few weeks.
you wouldn't want to copy the moment :mrgreen:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:04 am

Kenzo wrote:CRASH! ~30km/h and accelerating - about to try and hit a STRAVA segment... Right hand turn and the front wheel goes. Had a staple give me a puncture. Skin off a couple of knuckles and impact scraping and bruising to my thigh and shoulder. Bent and scraped shifters, bars slightly 'off centre' and the front wheel is now a few millimetres out of true...

Peeved that a pissy little piece of discarded stationery has damaged my bike, my riding kit and my body. Funny though :-D
And being a true hardman, you walked the bike back home, tossed the damaged kit and gave the segment another crack? :?:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:14 am

Perfect commuting weather this morning, 18oC slight breeze. Heaps of people out on the cycleway this morning. Passed about 5 riders (cruising) Saw about 6-8 coming the other way. Then got passed by a lycra clad bloke on a carbon roadie. Not fair, I was on the hi-ten steel fixie and ran out of spin to keep up, let alone get him back.

I'm meant to do the passing on that cycleway, barely see another roadie, let alone one that can get away. Mostly I can keep up with them (but it's more of a cruise path that commuter racing path)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:16 am

Xplora wrote:And being a true hardman, you walked the bike back home, tossed the damaged kit and gave the segment another crack? :?:
Ha! I'd rather keep the kit on :shock: ...

Although less than 1500 metres from home I fixed the flat, bent the shifters back, readjusted the brakes and stem... and just trundled home.
Does it count as 'hardman' if I used my handpump to 100psi instead of the CO2 canister? :mrgreen:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:35 am

Nice ride this morning. Family is crook, and I've got a sore throat... But woke up and felt good. So, I smashed a riverloop with da crew. :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:45 am

Comedian wrote:Nice ride this morning. Family is crook, and I've got a sore throat... But woke up and felt good. So, I smashed a riverloop with da crew. :mrgreen:
do another one for me - I'm in the honourable reasons thread. :evil:

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:02 am

Done a recovery ride to work this morning to the City via Cronulla and Kurnell. Total: 75km. Beautiful weather!!!!

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:08 am

Kenzo wrote:CRASH! ~30km/h and accelerating - about to try and hit a STRAVA segment... Right hand turn and the front wheel goes. Had a staple give me a puncture. Skin off a couple of knuckles and impact scraping and bruising to my thigh and shoulder
Ouch, hope your injuries are only as superficial as you described them!

No ride for me today - Melbourne Cup Day and no action at my client in the CBD.
Stopped off at the LBS yesterday afternoon to admire the Soma frame, which is now coupled with wheels, headset etc. Not long to go before it's all done, hooray. :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:30 pm

Yet another pleasant day commuting - just about cracked 5,000 km for the year. Saw a cute sight at the corner of Sussex & KentSt - a couple with his & her matching white Giant TCR's - although it looked like he might struggle to match her pace :)

westab

Postby westab » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Good ride in this morning - just a pleasure. Warming up nicely for the ride home so the water bottle is aboutto go into the freezer at work to allow for hte extra long ride on the way home. :D

Legs feeling good so I hope there is someone to chase (or not let catch) on the way home. I am aiming for an hours ride on the way home. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:20 pm

No commuting stories from me this week.
I'm on holidays enjoying some lovely rides around the Noosa area after competing in the Tri on Sunday!
Be back next week!
Lisa

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:36 pm

When it's hot, and you feel a bit flat, and have to ride home into a savage headwind, and you decided that single speed would be fine this morning it's looking like a tedious ride home. Then surprise, two carbon roadies cruising along at a nice pace. Jumping on their tail picks things up a bit.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:02 am

This morning's ride into the Melbourne CBD helped to clear out the cobwebs after a spontaneous BBQ yesterday afternoon/evening. Nice and fresh conditions, felt heaps better after the first 10 minutes in the saddle. :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Tommi

Postby Tommi » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:38 am

Had a very peaceful and calm ride to work this morning. Cleared the head and and the slight rain was very very welcome!

westab

Postby westab » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:57 am

Low energy morning - rode slow but enjoyed it.

The ride home last night was good, had some commuter cup action - got chased down by a gentlemen wearing a bright yellow jersey. He took about 10kms to catch up the 50m gap we had when we got on the same on ramp on the M7 shared path; then promptly after passing me stopped to check his front wheel for a puncture. :roll: and wait for a friend. He was breathing as hard as I was OK I thought.

As I was riding back the same way (just doing extra km) I then saw him again riding on his own - said Hi and just got that cheeky smile like a school kid that had been busted - was still happy though as the incentive to go quicker got me about another 2kms as time was short and determained where I turned around. I can't realy say much as I have done the same thing (but I uually go flat strap till there is an exit when I am out of view :oops: )

Looking good for the ride to swimming this afternoon. 8)
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:24 am

strange morning this morning...was warm but very overcast..first morning I have not worn any under garments for extra warmth

halfway into ride and started to sprinkle, enough moisture on the road to make my legs all filthy...was waiting for it to bucket down the closure I got to the coast/water but then the rain stopped....it was just enough to keep me at a nice cool temp

legs felt really heavy..the ride didnt feel quick or as light as normal, not as much "spring" in the body

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:24 pm

Nice couple of rides so far this week, cool and a bit muggy, not too much breeze to deal with. Had to dodge a couple of teetering Drunkettas around Raffles yesterday arvo following Melbourne Cup festivities. Just so tempting to give them a one-fingered push on the shoulder and watch the whole rig come crashing down like Jenga with a lopsided fascinator :|

Left my towel in my office this morning, discovered this at the shower block, CBA'd going back, used my shirt :x
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:22 am

Reasonable ride back yesterday afternoon.
Melbourne is getting colder again, barely making double-digit degrees C this morning on my way out, plus a patch of rain hit shortly after I made it into the CBD.
Almost incident free ride, nearly collected a tradie on Brunswick St who had stopped at a milk bar, climbed out of his car and then proceeded to walk backwards (admiring his smokebox?) into the middle of the lane without a glance up the road for oncoming traffic, just as I was approaching. A hearty call of Bike! at least elicited a 'sorry mate' from him as he jumped out of the way.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:55 am

nice warm ride in this morning, uneventful thankfully...was supposed to get rain but nothing eventuated and hopefully it stays that way

TW - I see you have dropped off doing the 40 k + rides hahaha...what happened, me thinks you were only doing that to ensure first spot on the challenge...dont be a slacker, get back to doing the 40 k + rides

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:00 am

gretaboy wrote: TW - I see you have dropped off doing the 40 k + rides hahaha...what happened, me thinks you were only doing that to ensure first spot on the challenge...dont be a slacker, get back to doing the 40 k + rides
Hey gretaboy, not really - the 40k+ return ride is a nice scenic route that I quite enjoy, but I'm still trying not to stress my left leg too much after the prang - still have a lump the size of half an egg on the shin :(. Normal service will resume soon :mrgreen:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 am

TailWind wrote:
Hey gretaboy, not really - the 40k+ return ride is a nice scenic route that I quite enjoy, but I'm still trying not to stress my left leg too much after the prang - still have a lump the size of half an egg on the shin :(. Normal service will resume soon :mrgreen:
Yeah know what your saying, am still carrying an injury from my accident...I must have torn/strained something bad in my left buttock....I still get a lot of pain sitting, which isnt good given I have a desk job

As a result I am still trying to get into the rhythm of cycling again

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:31 am

gretaboy wrote:
TailWind wrote:
Yeah know what your saying, am still carrying an injury from my accident...I must have torn/strained something bad in my left buttock....I still get a lot of pain sitting, which isnt good given I have a desk job

As a result I am still trying to get into the rhythm of cycling again
you guys are just bludging knowing it's going to be a couple of weeks before I'm at full strength again

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:45 am

Had a passenger for the first 8 km of my commute - he was stuck to my back wheel & no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't shake him - worst of all he is only 18 months old :D

Dropping him off for baby sitting only added 500 m to my commute, but the extra weight sure slowed me down

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:55 am

Beautiful commute to Pyrmont via Cronulla this morning. Total 56km! Not even a sight of wind, which is a great change!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:56 am

find_bruce wrote:Had a passenger for the first 8 km of my commute - he was stuck to my back wheel & no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't shake him - worst of all he is only 18 months old :D

Dropping him off for baby sitting only added 500 m to my commute, but the extra weight sure slowed me down
:lol:

good weight training