Groupset conundrum - old or new?

macca33

Groupset conundrum - old or new?

Postby macca33 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:47 am

G'day all. I've recently jumped headlong back into cycling, by purchasing a bike that is correctly sized and is of a good level - it is old-ish (2002) but I reckon it's a ripper.

It is currently fitted with UIltegra 6500 series components and the former owner updated some pieces a year before I purchased. The brifters, however, are a bit worse for wear.

I am considering the purchase of a pair of new brifters ($300+), which would be fine, but I am also cognisant of the fact that NOS 6500 series components are becoming scarce and that I may eventually paint myself into a corner if I retain that series.

I am aware that I could upgrade to an entirely new / current type Ultegra groupset for around $800 or so - dependent upon the deal - thus, cannot decide whether to buy the 6500 series brifters and keep the bike as it was produced, or for a few hundred more, upgrade to newer components...

Any thoughts / advice would be appreciated.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

rkelsen

Re: Groupset conundrum - old or new?

Postby rkelsen » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:58 am

Depending upon how many km the previous owner did, you might also need to change the chain, cassette, chainrings, cables and brake pads.

For this reason, I reckon it makes more sense to go for a new set.

Oh, and how's about posting up some pics of the bike? 8)

boss

Postby boss » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:57 pm

If you have the money, it makes a lot of sense to go new gruppo.

Also remember that you will be able to sell the old bits and recoup some of the costs of the new stuff.

Ratts

Postby Ratts » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:00 pm

I upgraded from 9 speed Ultegra to 10 speed Ultegra at the beginning of the year for under $ 400. I replaced brifters, chain and cassette. There was nothing wrong with the brakes, FD, RD or crank, so have left them in service. The only reason that I made the change is because the right hand gear leaver broke a spring and could not get any spares to do the repair.
2019 Canyon Ultimate CF slx
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL 1
2004 Giant TCR 1
1999 Trek

zero

Postby zero » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:02 pm

I have 9 speed DA of similar age, found a NOS right lever with hood about a year ago to replace my failed unit. Occasionally the repair blades also show up.

Shimano I believe still make or at least have useful new stocks of 6500 ultegra cassettes and chainrings, as well as 9 speed sora bits. I'm near due for chainrings, so I'll probably buy an ultegra set an then retire the group in 5 years time when the lever inevitably dies.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:41 pm

rkelsen wrote:Depending upon how many km the previous owner did, you might also need to change the chain, cassette, chainrings, cables and brake pads.

For this reason, I reckon it makes more sense to go for a new set.

Oh, and how's about posting up some pics of the bike? 8)

The previous owner replaced the chain / cassette front chainrings (39/52T), cables / outers around a year ago and I recently put a new cassette on when I purchased the Pro-Lite Comos. So, the F & R derailleurs, bottom bracket, crankset, brakes and brifters are still original, but apart from the brifters - which have a fair bit of wear - everything else works perfectly. The bike itself is fantastic and rides really well, so I won't be looking to upgrade for a long time (if ever) and the thought of keeping the original series Ultegra for as long as I can is appealing.

A few pics for rkelsen (I know that I've broken every Velominati rule there is, but I'm 'different' lol):-

Thanks to all for your responses. I'm still a little undecided and Ratts' info about compatibility with Ultegra 10-speed is also interesting to know, but zero may have convinced me to stay with the Ultegra 9-speed and go for the NOS levers I've found.

Decisions, decisions......

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL