Gone Fishin' tour of New Zealand...

RonK

Re: Gone Fishin' tour of New Zealand...

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Hmmmm, but quite attractive, didn't you think, just need the right pretty lure.

Bugger, after 5 days of glorious warm weather, it's back to southerlies, rain, snow and cold just as I'm about to set out on the next backroads section.

I might need some help staying warm.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:29 pm

The trip across Lake Wakitipu on the TSS Earnslaw was a real experience...

On the distant lake shore (just above the lifebuoy), Walter Peak Station...

The working bits - have you ever seen a working triple expansion double-acting steam engine? Here are two...

At Walter Peak Station...

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Bugger! This morning I went on an excursion to Doubtful Sound. At the Manapouri ferry dock some huge rainbow trout could be seen swimming about. Too bad I didn't have my rod, but there is a fishing ban there anyway.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:27 pm

Great to see the photos Ron,
keep that Sony snappin and those pics a coming.
As for that trout, wheres a stick of "jelly" when you need it. :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:12 pm

making me very homesick looking at those photos

did you see the size of the trout that hang around the jetty at lake wanaka? massive suckers, swimming around the big 'no fishing' sign

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:17 pm

uglybob wrote:making me very homesick looking at those photos

did you see the size of the trout that hang around the jetty at lake wanaka? massive suckers, swimming around the big 'no fishing' sign
Wanaka you say? Homesick?

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:27 pm

i'm from dunedin - but used to holiday in tarras / wanaka / clyde etc - amazing views! :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Spent an interesting hour or so at E Hayes & Sons hardware store in Dunedin, where Burt Munro's 1922 Indian Scout (world's fastest Indian) is on display, along with an interesting collection of motorcycles, cars and farm equipment.

This is the orginal record beating bike...

This is the movie replica...

Don't you just love an Arial Square Four...

Or this Indian, in orginal condition...

This must be very rare...

And this beautifully restored Morris Commercial...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:41 pm

RonK wrote: Bugger, after 5 days of glorious warm weather, it's back to southerlies, rain, snow and cold
Must have been a drought by kiwi standards. Have your toes started webbing yet? :lol:

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:30 pm

Have been sans reception as I made my way around the Catlins, which I must say are VERY hilly. Now only a day away from Dunedin and the end of the tour.

The weather has been mixed again, with rain and howling southerlies to bright sunshine and now rain again, so not enough continuous wet for the webbing to grow.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:52 am

Talking to my sister tonight on the phone - she's in NZ in a place called Horowhenua (that we almost affectionately refer to as Horriblewhenua). Its in the north island and about an hour or so north of Wellington and probably about half an hour south of Palmerston North. She claims to be freezing her (expletive) extremities off (family show here so I wont suggest which ones).
The fire is cranked up and they are still using electric blankets.
Much as I miss family, friends and the gorgeous scenery that makes up the "land of the great white cloud", I dont by any means miss the endless bloomin rain that makes for much of the weather.
WA for me is almost berefit of the type of scenery I used to love to cycle to in order to take pics with my camera.
I'm happy enough for now just lapping up some sunshine hours and too hell with the peaks and bushclad valleys that are everywhere over there. Still a holiday in Feb when the sun is most likely to be shining is starting to have some appeal after reading your enjoyable blog. :idea:

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:09 am

Coming to NZ in spring, I just have to take my chances with the weather. But it's the best time for me to tour, while my wife is trekking in Nepal.

And I received some good news overnight - she and her party are safely back in Kathmandu after successfully trekking the classic route from Jiri, then up the Gokyo valley and crossing the Cho La to the Khumbu and making their way to EBC and back down to the airfield at Lukla.

Today is my last day on the road, and wouldn't you know it - it's raining, and is expected to continue until evening. It could be a miserable day.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:43 pm

I hope your back in Brissy Ron, sunning yourself silly being waited on hand and foot by a hot woman dressed in a mountaineering outfit (or not).
I ask as Boofle appears to be still in Dunedin according to your blog site.
http://share.delorme.com/?MapId=564696b ... ef5ac732eb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This:
http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/1541296 ... -by-truck/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
had better not be you, before you get a chance to tell me the combination to your Sabbath lock :shock: .

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:09 pm

rifraf wrote:I hope your back in Brissy Ron, sunning yourself silly being waited on hand and foot by a hot woman dressed in a mountaineering outfit (or not). I ask as Boofle appears to be still in Dunedin according to your blog site.
Hmmm, yes I was thinking Boofle needed to make a final tracking post. We got home at 8:30pm Sunday after circling over the airport for an hour waiting for a thunderstorm to pass. Still need to make a post about the last few days in Dunedin, as I have some interesting pics to share. And some concluding comments to finish the trip off.

Despite being a cold tour, I'm missing being on the road already. I had reservations about taking the Sabbath on unsealed roads, as I never intended for that when I specced and built it. It was to be a lightweight highway tourer. But it has certainly shown it's versatility and durability on this tour. Now, for next year's tour - the top end of the South Island perhaps?

Other half is in Bangkok and won't reach home until Wednesday.