Whats up with my Brooks Swift then?

rifraf

Whats up with my Brooks Swift then?

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:56 pm

My Swift appears to have broken in only on one side.

The frames shape is clearly visible on the left hand side of the saddle whilst the right is mostly unchanged.

The front of the saddle is clearly twisting to the left as well?

Comments, suggestions and opinions welcomed

I've sent an email to Wiggle outlaying my concerns and I understand Brooks have a 2 year warranty (from memory).

When new it had an application of proofide underneath and subsequent 2 applications to the top sparingly.

Its approx one year old.

I've never really warmed to it anyway as after a couple of hours in the saddle its gotten progressively more uncomfortable
unlike my previous Brooks B-73 which was super comfortable but heavy at 1.1kg (hence its replacement). :cry:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Nobody

Re: Whats up with my Brooks Swift then?

Postby Nobody » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:08 pm

Dunno, but it looks bad.

Ti or steel frame?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Whoah! That looks odd :o .

Mine did something similar, breaking in on one side only for a long time but now it has started to give on the other side. I believe this occurred a bit for my old Conquest and have come to the conclusion I have an ass-symmetrical butt :P

I'd agree that may need photos sent to Brooks as I don't see how it will be resurrected to a normal shape.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:14 pm

Nobody wrote:Dunno, but it looks bad.

Ti or steel frame?
Not sure that it would make any difference, but its of the Ti persuasion.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:19 pm

Thanks.

Ti is said to have more flex. Maybe if "flexed" a bit too far. Are you are heavier person? Is this on a road/touring/CX bike, or more of an upright bike like a flat bar?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:23 pm

il padrone wrote:Whoah! That looks odd :o .

Mine did something similar, breaking in on one side only for a long time but now it has started to give on the other side. I believe this occurred a bit for my old Conquest and have come to the conclusion I have an ass-symmetrical butt :P

I'd agree that may need photos sent to Brooks as I don't see how it will be resurrected to a normal shape.
I can probably get Brooks to give it a new leather but as I've never warmed to it, I'll be looking towards a wider Brooks for its
replacement. :idea:

I love the look of the Swift best of all the Brooks but this one has not proved compatible with my butt. :twisted:
Such a shame as I love the way it looks on my Moulton and is the standard saddle on their Moulton TSR Tour bike.

I knew when I ordered it that it was more suitable for a leaning forwards style of riding than my very upright but I
did hope.... :roll:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Nobody wrote:Thanks.

Ti is said to have more flex. Maybe if "flexed" a bit too far. Are you are heavier person? Is this on a road/touring/CX bike, or more of an upright bike like a flat bar?
Yeah I'm a lardass in the 90's when it comes to kg. :oops:
The bike is a flatbar upright position touring bike.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Bugger, that is the worst result I have ever seen with a leather saddle.........broken down instead of broken in. :?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Nobody wrote:Dunno, but it looks bad.
Thats what I told it:
"Bad, bad Swifty"
Threatening to leave it out in the rain didnt make it so much as bat an eyelid.
The pommie illegitimate :!:

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:52 pm

My two well worn in Brooks saddles have worn in asymmetrically, and not identically. Both are very comfortable.

I wonder is it's the design of the saddle that isn't working for you rather than the asymmetrical wearing in?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:05 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:My two well worn in Brooks saddles have worn in asymmetrically, and not identically. Both are very comfortable.

I wonder is it's the design of the saddle that isn't working for you rather than the asymmetrical wearing in?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Hiya WestcoastPete,
I'm happy to admit the saddles design (saddle above bars) isnt working for my riding style - no probs.
I thought it was worth a crack as I've seen them on bikes ridden by some in my upright style with no issue.
Whilst I'm happy to admit defeat after attempting a lengthy break in period (NSW to WA), I'm currently concerned with the
shape the saddles trying to conform itself to as its not doing much for its potential sell-ability looking like that.
I dont feel a little scu-whiff would bother many but this in my opinion is over the top.
I think I'll either go back to a B-73 (which I know works for me in the comfort stakes) or try a B-17 which most folk
seem to get on with ok (they at least do a Ti version).
I'd still expect "some" conformity in asymmetrical wearing in, despite riding position as long as the saddle is pointing straight
(at the stem).

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:17 pm

Your handlebars look to be about the same height as your saddle. Not hugely different to mine on the Thorn Nomad, but it does depend on your reach - a short reach places you more upright. If looking for a saddle to suit a more upright position I'd recommend the Flyer Special. B17 top with springs and also a chamfered skirt and those nice large copper rivets. Very comfy on the bumps.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:21 pm

I'm going to guess that the left hand rail (or both) has collapsed to some degree in front of the saddle clamp and allowed the leather to do what you see. If you take the saddle off the bike and lay it upside down, you may see what's going on.
Last edited by Nobody on Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:22 pm

Just throwing it out there as this happened to my B17 special
Cracked screw on the front nose?
Do what nobody suggested, take it off the bike and photo it as well if your unsure
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:36 pm

Nobody wrote:I'm going to guess that the left hand rail (or both) has collapsed to some degree in front of the saddle clamp and allowed the leather to do what you see. If you take the saddle off the bike and lay it upside down, you may see what's going on.
I've suffered a head injury in the past which means for me that I've problems with the perception of angles somewhat.
I'd never be able to see a cars wheel alignment being out for instance even when it might be obvious to some.
I cant see any collapsing of the left hand rail (or right).
I can see the nose screw is twisted to the left at its lower portion.

Baalzamon wrote:Just throwing it out there as this happened to my B17 special
Cracked screw on the front nose?
Do what nobody suggested, take it off the bike and photo it as well if your unsure
I remember how many hours it took me to get that saddle dialed in to a semi comfortable position and now you want me to take it off? Damn it :!:
OK :(

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Sorry we made you take the saddle off. I hope you marked the position on the rails where the post goes first. The saddle angle should be able to be worked out again by feel. :)

There appears to be something wrong in the nose. The rails look OK from the angle of the photos anyway. I think Baalzamon may be correct. If it isn't a cracked bolt then it is something else close by. You can see how the bolt is moved to one side. Shouldn't be like that IMO. If you try adjusting the bolt, you may find out.

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Have you checked the shape of your arse? Maybe it's the same! :wink:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Stuey wrote:Have you checked the shape of your ****? Maybe it's the same! :wink:
Moving right along...... :lol:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:20 pm

il padrone wrote:Your handlebars look to be about the same height as your saddle. Not hugely different to mine on the Thorn Nomad, but it does depend on your reach - a short reach places you more upright. If looking for a saddle to suit a more upright position I'd recommend the Flyer Special. B17 top with springs and also a chamfered skirt and those nice large copper rivets. Very comfy on the bumps.

Pretty sure I'm set up for short reach. I much prefer an upright position more than any other.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll put the Flyer Special high on the list to be considered. That chamfered skirt makes for a nice touch IMHO and I agree that the large copper rivets add something to the overall appearance. :D

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:53 am

So Rifraf, is the bolt busted or what? :)
Last edited by Nobody on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:57 am

il padrone wrote:Image
Where did this pic come from? Someone had the good taste to put their saddle on a Nitto post.
rifraf wrote:...and I agree that the large copper rivets add something to the overall appearance.
At your weight I wouldn't buy anything but copper rivets as they are primarily designed to help the leather last longer.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:18 am

I realise I am a Brooks Philistine, but is it possible it was a didgy piece of leather :?: 90 odd kilo isn't that heavy, I've been there :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:40 am

warthog1 wrote:...but is it possible it was a didgy piece of leather :?:
Anything is possible, but I can't see any major stretch marks in the leather (like I see at the end points of the cutout on my Imperial) to indicate strain. Maybe just a little bit.
It doesn't appear to be looking any different around the rivets and it's fairly new. You could be right though. I suppose we can only wait and see if Rifraf posts the results of the investigation.
Last edited by Nobody on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:47 am

I've read of a similar issue on the Brooks web site. I suggest you contact Brooks about the problem.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:59 am

It hasn't been ridden wet has it?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011