Amy's Rideo SA

bosvit

Amy's Rideo SA

Postby bosvit » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:17 pm

I've been talked into driving over to Adelaide for the Amy Ride buy a mate. Strangely he didn't find it that difficult.... :wink:

Any other BNAers heading along?

liamb

Re: Amy's Rideo SA

Postby liamb » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:23 pm

Yep I will be. 100km for me.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:39 am

I'm doing the 120km then riding back.

Thankfully the parents live only 8km from the Uni so it won't be that bad ;-)

As my mate said "I'm not driving 1600km to only do the short ride!"

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:03 am

120km for me. Riding to the start from Morphett Vale and then back from the finish. Should be a nice 150km day... hopefully. :D

Tim

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:01 pm

I am in ,last minute decision 120km. Ambivalent about riding at first .
Now that I have decided, I am looking forward to it.
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Have just seen that the weather is forecast to be 36 degrees tomorrow.

That will certainly add another element to the day. Keep cool people.

Tim

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:34 pm

So how did everyone go? I wimped out and only did the 1 trip up Willunga Hill.

I thought that the traffic support and feed stations were excellent. The only criticism I have is of those awful Baker's Delight buns at Willunga. Really quite awful little devils they were. :cry:

Thanks to all the riders who stopped to help the couple of guys who came off on the descent of Wickham's Hill.

Tim

vnbozza

Postby vnbozza » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Rode to the start - did Willunga Twice - made the finish - then completely wussed out and got driven home

Sure was a hot and windy day - think it was the toughest every day I have had on the bike.

If you are on Strava - check out Patrick Jonker - what a machine - he blitzed the ride yesterday

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:22 pm

vnbozza wrote:Rode to the start - did Willunga Twice - made the finish - then completely wussed out and got driven home
This sounds familiar. I did similar, completed the 120Kms (2 x Old Willunga Hill Road), but canned the plans to ride from McLaren Vale back to the start. Fortunately for me, the wife rescued me which saved me from what would've been a long slow ~30Km slog back to Flinders.

This was my first Amy's ride (this time last year I'd only just taken up cycling 2 weeks prior) and I was pretty impressed with the organisation of it. Very well done.
'14 Avanti Corsa SL Team (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
'12 Avanti Cadent 1 - R.I.P.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:22 pm

How many cyclists did the ride Tim. Bill? Anyone?

There were gazillions elsewhere in the Adelaide Hills yesterday.
U2adam!!! wrote:

Thanks to all the riders who stopped to help the couple of guys who came off on the descent of Wickham's Hill.

Tim
I feel a rant coming on, but first, I really do hope those riders are ok.

My mate and I went up Norton Summit yesterday morning, and in the time we took (slow) must have seen between 40 and 50 cyclists descending the NS road. Of them, precisely 3 used the drops of their bars. Only 3.

I'm not going to wildly speculate, I should possibly take this elsewhere, but for the love of crimminy, are there so many new cyclists around who don't know how to maximise their control and safety, and so few experienced cyclist who can point out potential for danger and how to minimise it? Riding on the hoods on bumpy downhills is a fraught exercise, and I for one don't want to see any recreational cyclist go into rockwall as a result.

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:34 pm

rustychisel wrote:How many cyclists did the ride Tim. Bill? Anyone?
Apparently ~3,000.
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:52 pm

nice one, thanks

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Does anyone know if the cyclist on the Expressway after climb receiving CPR from other riders pulled through
Again well down to all the riders giving first aid and diverting other riders safely around the scene.
Board Rider

Source Unknown

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:30 pm

BoardRider wrote:Does anyone know if the cyclist on the Expressway after climb receiving CPR from other riders pulled through
Again well down to all the riders giving first aid and diverting other riders safely around the scene.

Yes, as well as can be considering the circumstances.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6510045075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks U2adam for your reply.
I struggled with the heat and needed to pull out before things got worse. Disappointed, but there is always next year.
Board Rider

Source Unknown

liamb

Postby liamb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:22 am

Hi Alex

I was all set to do it but on Saturday I got a sore throat that felt like I was swallowing glass and ended up in Emergency at about 1am Sunday not able to breathe. So I was MIA much to my disgust. This year has been a bit like that for me, as soon as the Doc's give me the ok I am going to do the ride just for the hell of it to get set for Ride like Crazy and the Tour Ride.
On the way home from Hospital on Sunday I saw a huge number of cyclists going back into town from what I assume was hill rides. not a Amy's Ride Jersey anywhere.

Bill

U2adam!!! wrote:

Tim

My mate and I went up Norton Summit yesterday morning, and in the time we took (slow) must have seen between 40 and 50 cyclists descending the NS road. Of them, precisely 3 used the drops of their bars. Only 3.

I'm not going to wildly speculate, I should possibly take this elsewhere, but for the love of crimminy, are there so many new cyclists around who don't know how to maximise their control and safety, and so few experienced cyclist who can point out potential for danger and how to minimise it? Riding on the hoods on bumpy downhills is a fraught exercise, and I for one don't want to see any recreational cyclist go into rockwall as a result.
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:31 pm

Bit of a disappointing ride from me, personally, not the ride itself.

Great route loved it.

Sadly I didn't feel good right from the start, well before the start actually. Just the short ride to the start felt a little like riding through mud. I was just a bit off and I never really got going. Only averaged 28.5km/h and had to tell my mates I would see them at the finish. They all travelled 750km for this ride they didn't need it wrecked waiting for me :oops:

Met some great people and helped a young bloke with a split tyre. Thankfully I got shown years ago the trick of putting a layer of duct tape on your water bottles so you can tape up a tyre if gets split by a rock. Saw him walk past at the finish so assume it all worked out for him :wink:

This was my first mass participation fun ride, wont be the last but I will make sure I don't have an 8 week lay off before the next one :roll: :lol:

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:46 pm

Well done everyone who did the ride... I was going to tag along with some friends but my nightshift ran late and I didn't get back to Adelaide til 11am... Was tough conditions for all I see... So big ups to everyone..,

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:47 pm

U2adam!!! wrote:

Tim

Ah Rusty, Norton Summit is best avoided on a Sunday. It's like watching cows going in for milking. Keeping left is an unheard of concept and the decending, well you nailed it. :shock:
Certified Brand Snob

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:43 pm

BoardRider wrote:Thanks U2adam for your reply.
I struggled with the heat and needed to pull out before things got worse. Disappointed, but there is always next year.
You and me both. Signed up for the 100, got 1/4 way up Willys and felt the heat stroke setting in. Thought better of it and turned back down and headed straight for the Vale. Bloody head wind was a huge killer on the way back though. Geez. I live to fight another day
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:01 pm

Next time rpmspinman, Ha I did the same around half way up my world went grey couldn't find my bike laying on legs ,water bottle dropped out of my hands. To confused to ask for help I just sat for a while on the guard rail then retreated when I got my act together.
Board Rider

Source Unknown

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:01 pm

rpmspinman wrote:
BoardRider wrote:Thanks U2adam for your reply.
You and me both. Signed up for the 100, got 1/4 way up Willys and felt the heat stroke setting in. Thought better of it and turned back down and headed straight for the Vale. Bloody head wind was a huge killer on the way back though. Geez. I live to fight another day
that's the spirit ;-)

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:59 pm

BoardRider wrote:Next time rpmspinman, Ha I did the same around half way up my world went grey couldn't find my bike laying on legs ,water bottle dropped out of my hands. To confused to ask for help I just sat for a while on the guard rail then retreated when I got my act together.
I had a similar experience on Menglers during the TDU ride this year. World went grey, slight ringing in the ears... not nice at all.
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:44 am

BoardRider wrote:Next time rpmspinman, Ha I did the same around half way up my world went grey couldn't find my bike laying on legs ,water bottle dropped out of my hands. To confused to ask for help I just sat for a while on the guard rail then retreated when I got my act together.
Cheers. I know it sounds like your piking out, but in this instance you did the right thing by not pushing on. The conditions were not ideal and if your not used to that sort of weather, it can turn bleak real quick. Glad you made the finish line ok.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

st_au

Postby st_au » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:01 pm

Was my first Amy's this year too and really enjoyed the day, despite the weather. :)
rpmspinman wrote:Cheers. I know it sounds like your piking out, but in this instance you did the right thing by not pushing on. The conditions were not ideal and if your not used to that sort of weather, it can turn bleak real quick. Glad you made the finish line ok.
Absolutely. By all means, you weren't the only one - I think I saw nearly a dozen descenders across both climbs (with quite a few more resting in the shade).
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 904