Long distance one day charity ride

meridaman

Long distance one day charity ride

Postby meridaman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi Guys,
Not sure where to put this but I'm thinking of putting together a one day HTFU charity ride.
I'm thinking up to 300km in 24hrs, teams of 4 people, to complete 1200kms as a team over the 24 hour period, I know there are a lot of blokes out here that have/would like to do that distance, what would be some of the things you'd want to see included in order to sign up? What would stop you from signing up?

newie

Re: Long distance one day charity ride

Postby newie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:10 pm

meridaman wrote:Hi Guys,
Not sure where to put this but I'm thinking of putting together a one day HTFU charity ride.
I'm thinking up to 300km in 24hrs, teams of 4 people, to complete 1200kms as a team over the 24 hour period, I know there are a lot of blokes out here that have/would like to do that distance, what would be some of the things you'd want to see included in order to sign up? What would stop you from signing up?
That it was only open to blokes....

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:49 pm

No worries here I'd love to see more ladies out there, open to all!

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:52 am

Build it and they will come...

Sounds great, I think the team angle is a good one - MTBers tend to do it a lot.

Where are you thinking of doing it?

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:44 pm

I'm not entirely sure yet as to location, speaking to a few people like councils and police etc but the big issue will be space at the rendezvous point and keeping roads closed or under scrutiny for 24 hours. Ideally I want teams of 4 (minimum) to have 2 riders on course at any one time, say do 150km then a breather for a few hours at rendezvous point where I'd like a fair amount of activity, massage tents, food and beverage stalls, sponsors tents etc, possibly radio station doing an outside broadcast, then hop back on and finish the next 150 to make each member hit the 300km mark over 24 hours and the team hit a 1200km mark. With the distance in mind I think the course will need to be quite flat.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Just thinking out loud, but I think somewhere like a racetrack would suit it, as getting roads closed and monitored for 28hrs would be nigh on impossible I reckon.
Eastern Creek might be OK, never ridden it though.
Mnt Panorama might be easy to close for the event...
Sydney Olympic Park?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:03 pm

If you want to ride in circles, we could talk about using the velodrome at Lidcombe (I'm the track manager this year). It would be really boring for you, but it's quite traditional to do distances on a velodrome. I had some ideas in that direction for a club event, so things might converge?

Otherwise there's a 800m crit track at Dunc Gray and there's Lansdowne, which is a closed circuit (around 2km long).

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Have you looked at that Murry2Moyne for insperation: http://www.murraytomoyne.com.au/

520km in 24 hours as a team relay. Your could also have a HTFU team time trial category...

- David.

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:41 am

Hi Guys,
All very good ideas, I have been thinking of a closed track environment, just finding a suitable site, and as you point out 375 laps of an 800m circuit will get boring but if thats our only option... Essentially I'm looking for somewhere interesting with plenty of space that won't charge an arm and a leg, I'd rather "charge" an "entry fee" and make fund raising optional, at least we would have some certainty around potential revenues that way. And if people decided to fundraise/donate then it would be cream on top as I do know that some people do find fundraising uncomfortable unfortunately. BFV thank you for your comments I will drop a tomorrow!

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:09 am

Guys what would you say is an acceptable entry fee to an event like this? Based only on the info I have provided so far?

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:43 am

And for Newie, a female neighbour has already committed to it if I can get it off the ground!

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:29 am

if the relay team could be five - my girls and I would be interested - all relatively new at riding but having fun doing 100km rides together and yours would be a fun challenge - will keep watching

also + 1 to entry fee and optional fund raising - we wanted to do the cancer ride but no way would we be able to raise $12500 for the 5 of us.

good luck with it - will watch this space.

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:24 pm

Thanks Fiona we're looking to encourage people from all walks (or is that wheels) of life to have a crack, it will be mammoth for many to be sure! Keep an eye out and any feedback or thoughts you have around such an event will be appreciated and taken on board!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Fees should reflect costs & of course that will depend on where you do it. Having been invovled in organising events at Eastern Creek & competing at Mt Panorama at Bathurst, I think you will find that the cost of hiring the track for a day will make your entry costs prohibitive. It's been a couple of years since I looked at the cost of Eastern Creek, but it is north of $10,000 for one day of a weekend & they will charge you more for running overnight. Bathurst city council charge over $200,000 a week to close Mt Panorama & they ony do so 3 weeks per year.

You have a real balancing act - the longer the course, the more people you will have to involve to close it & the more it will cost. At the same time a bigger course means you can allow more entrants.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:26 pm

meridaman wrote:Guys what would you say is an acceptable entry fee to an event like this? Based only on the info I have provided so far?
Based on the only event I have taken part in so far (Syd to Gong), I would think up to about $100 would be my limit.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:33 pm

Re entry fees

we could probably go to $150 (each team member) for entry fee - would be great if camping/ motel available close by cos we'd come down and stay day before and probably nigt after to recover -

Talking to my girls about it we think using a crit track would be the go - price wise all the other options seem to be really excessive-

If run in relays the the boredom factor would be reduced a little - would it be possible that each team nominated a distance before swapping and maybe having two or three goes each ie : 50km or 75 km or a nominated number of laps and swap and then come back for the next turn after all the rest in your team have had their turn.

after all its manily for fun and to raise money so anything that would encourage the greatest number of participants would be terrific -as for the hard men and women who would ride in smaller groups or alone - maybe its just a race against the clock -the greatest number of laps in the 24 hour period -

just some ideas - but best of luck with it - sounds like fun

fiona

newie

Postby newie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:29 pm

I'd go up to $150, if there was food, some support etc.
Hey, depending on the charity, I might even look into some extra fundraising (if it was voluntary, not compulsory).
If it was on a track, I wouldn't sign up, the boredom factor would kill me - 300kms of going round and round - seriously.....
Something like a 20-50 km route would be fine. With that kind of distance you would only need the one rest stop/transition point.
Definitely not too hilly for that distance.
I wouldn't expect closed roads - most organised rides don't, but you would want a route where traffic is expected to be light and the roads have a decent shoulder.
I am not sure I could find another 3 like minded friends, so some mechanism for facilitating loners like me to find a team...
I like the sound of it. 300 kms would be a good challenge for me. I know I could do it, and wouldn't have to do too much in the way of extra preparation, but it is enough that it would be a tough "day" on the bike and would motivate me to keep riding consistently in the buildup.
Once I do my second attempt at the Alpine Classic in Jan, I will be looking for a new goal to plan for.

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:26 am

Guys you both have very valid comments, I don't think it will end up being on road, so track somewhere will be it, preliminary thoughts are M7. In terms of support we would provide mechanics/medics at the starting point and all entry and exit points with some rolling guys also to make sure no one gets missed. $150 is probably the starting point, in order to make fundraising optional it would be $150-$200 per member. And yes it would be a relay so you could organise two at a time on the bike do maybe 2 or 3 laps and then have a breather for a few hrs before swapping back. I'd be thinking provision of rest tents, massage, food and recovery tents somewhere also.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:26 am

Good idea, wonder if you could use BOP as a staging ground? Shame it's on the wrong side of the M7...

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:32 pm

BOP??? Was thinking of the Soccer/Athletics fields at Ash Road Prestons.

newie

Postby newie » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:47 pm

M7 cycleway would be perfect.
I was thinking the fernleigh track up here could do the trick, but M7 would be better - fewer walkers and road crossings.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:07 pm

meridaman wrote:BOP??? Was thinking of the Soccer/Athletics fields at Ash Road Prestons.
Sorry, Blacktown Olympic Park - The baseball stadium.

I am mates with the principle sponsor of the Blue Sox also, if you need contacts for the facility.

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:57 am

Mate I'll pm you, it may still be an option!

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Just thinking of resurrecting this idea after a lengthy hiatus. Any interest?

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:59 pm

If you go ahead with organising this, be sure to have adequate personal liability insurance.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...