Unsuccessful Century Ride

Low Racer

Unsuccessful Century Ride

Postby Low Racer » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:50 pm

Hi,
I was unsuccesful in finishing the ride this morning up Dorrigo Mountain. I guessed I have chosen the wrong equipment for my first attempt. I debated whether to bring my Dahon Speedpro or the low racer. In the end the low racer won over me as the route to Thora (foothill of Dorrigo Mountain) has some great rolling hills.

I got to Thora alright and greatly enjoyed the LR. I was the only recumbent. There were 5 DFs and on the fast descend, they could not match the coasting speed of the LR. Anyway, I only made 1 km from Thora before my slow uphill speed caused me to wobble all over and unsafe for me and the rest of the rider. Decided to turn back and head home. Not a bad decision as my leg was starting to cramp by the time I reached home. By then I have done 98km over 3 1/2 hours.

Climb details
Climb Description Climb from Thora to Dorrigo on Waterfall Way. Great surface but some logging trucks.
Distance 10.800 km
Climb direction NWW
Altitude at Start 43 m
Altitude at KOM 745 m
Climb elevation info 702 m
Average gradient 6.50% (3.73 °)

Regards

Chong

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:05 am

Waterfall Way…
Mmm…well IMHO that’s one bad road for riding any bike on…. To narrow and to many trucks and mad drivers. These many other hilly roads with less likelyhood of been killed…
Having said that…. I admit to having ridden it
:oops:

Postman Pat

Postby Postman Pat » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:48 am

Just having a go at riding the hill deserves some kudos :D having driven the hill a few times I take my hat of to you. even so you still did 98 klm which is pretty close. :shock:

Low Racer

Thanks

Postby Low Racer » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:27 pm

Yes, the Waterfall Way is a horrid road. Narrow and bikers use it as a circuit. They are doing some crazy speed up and down the hill.

Next year I will give it another go when the DUB (Dorrigo, Urunga and Belligen) cycling group is doing it again.

Cheers

Chong