Bars for small hands

liamb

Bars for small hands

Postby liamb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi All

I am currently have some issues with descending and have been told to get my hands on the drops as it will be safer and easier to control. The problem I have is I have small hands and the distance to the brake leavers (shimano 105 flight deck) is too far for me to get a good safe grip in the leavers. I currently run a "low end" 3T bar that has a "shallow reach as fitted to my bike during a bike fit but as the fitter said it was still not great. I have tried to adjust the position of the leavers to get it better but then the hoods are way out of a comfortable position. Are there any brand of bars out there that are narrow (40cm) and have a very shallow reach.

Cheers

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

jacks1071

Re: Bars for small hands

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:50 pm

I have these in little sizes if they'd help:

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you bring the model up on http://www.pro-lite.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you'll see more detailed info.

Have you tried using the Shimano shims in the levers to bring them in closer? This is done without moving the lever on the bars, there is a little insert you can slide into them for people with small hands.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:56 pm

liamb wrote:Are there any brand of bars out there that are narrow (40cm) and have a very shallow reach.
Have a look at the FSA Wing Pro Compacts, which go down to 38cm (but note the slight flare of the drops). They are shallow as well as having a short throw.

I think there was a neat list of shallow bars somewhere but I forget where. If I remember I'll let you know.

Fixie82

Postby Fixie82 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Also try the 3T Ergonova, great for the smaller handed people and the flatter top section is very comfortable.

Can get in Alu, and two different carbon layups. They are light and very stiff.

Good Luck

Byke

Postby Byke » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:00 pm

liamb wrote:I have tried to adjust the position of the leavers to get it better but then the hoods are way out of a comfortable position.
Have you only been moving the mounting point of the shifters, or have you also adjusted the reach of the lever itself?

Before you buy any new bars make sure that you have explored adjusting the lever reach. What series 105 do you have?

I have smallish hands and have used the supplied wedges/shims to reduce the reach of both my 105 5700 and Ultegra 6700 levers on my road bikes - one with the aforementioned FSA Wing compact bars. I found 5mm was sufficient for me, but there is also a 10mm wedge.

On my old 105 5500-equipped bike I found descending in the drops downright scary. Whereas on my new bikes the combination of compact handlebars and reduced lever reach means I happily stay in the drops all the way down something like the Kinglake descent. Knowing the levers are comfortably resting under my fingertips means I literally descend a good 10km/h faster than I did before.