Chain price differences, is it worth it?

ozzymac

Chain price differences, is it worth it?

Postby ozzymac » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:25 pm

Hi,
Looking into replacing chain and rear cluster.

So was wondering if the price difference between 105 chains etc compared to Ultegra chains etc gives you any advantage?

Do the dearer options last longer or work better?

Is it worth spending the extra $ ?

Bike is currently running Ultegra di2 components.

So another question I guess is 105 compatible with ultegra di2?

Cheers

PS: I wish the magpies would p%#$ off, holy crap there bad this year. :o

biker jk

Re: Chain price differences, is it worth it?

Postby biker jk » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:53 pm

In my experience the Ultegra chain is better value versus the 105 since it is nickel-plated and prevents surface rust, especially if you frequently ride in the rain.

A 5700 series 105 chain will work fine with Ultegra (whether Di2 or otherwise).

stanzarallyman

Postby stanzarallyman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:32 pm

as a daily commuter, the chains dont make much/any difference in performance on the commuter. I've used both shimano and SRAM and have found that the shimano chains are longer lasting.

On the good mtb bike I will only use dura ace chains are they are fully nickel plated, both inner and outer plates. The ultegra chains, at least in 9 speed, is only nickel plated on the outer plate so can rust on the inner plate.

My thoughts, buy the cheapest chain if you use it lots. If it the really good bike and you dont replace chaine often, I'd get the Dura Ace chain. If it is somewhere between, get the ultegra chain.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:43 pm

I have run 105, ultegra, dura-ace (current) and a cheapie KMC chain that came on my bike.

The only difference I ever noticed was that I broke the KMC chain 600km into it's rather easy, dry weather life.

The wear on all of the shimano chains has been great. I think they measured about 1/128" after some 2k of riding. The DA chain was the most recent to go on and only has 400km on it so far, so I can't comment on it's longevity.
Last edited by Ozkaban on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks for the replies.

It would seem that for my type of riding the 105 gear would do OK.

I guess all you can do is give them a try.

Will have to do a bit of research on how to measure chain stretch, so I can compare the life of things.

Cheers

Sent from here.........

AJ_

Postby AJ_ » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:35 pm

ozzymac wrote:Thanks for the replies.

It would seem that for my type of riding the 105 gear would do OK.

I guess all you can do is give them a try.

Will have to do a bit of research on how to measure chain stretch, so I can compare the life of things.

Cheers

Sent from here.........
one of these bad boys will help you compare

http://www.parktool.com/product/chain-w ... tor-CC-3-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:36 pm

With the 105 rear cluster IIRC (preferring to use Italian quality rather than fishing gear) is all individual sprockets rather than some grouped. This can speed up wear on the free hub as the largest and therefore the most torque laden sprockets dont share the load over 2 or 3 sprockets.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:44 pm

Cruiserman wrote:With the 105 rear cluster IIRC (preferring to use Italian quality rather than fishing gear) is all individual sprockets rather than some grouped. This can speed up wear on the free hub as the largest and therefore the most torque laden sprockets dont share the load over 2 or 3 sprockets.
I use 105 cassettes and the first four (I think) sprockets are all part of the one spider.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:32 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
Cruiserman wrote:With the 105 rear cluster IIRC (preferring to use Italian quality rather than fishing gear) is all individual sprockets rather than some grouped. This can speed up wear on the free hub as the largest and therefore the most torque laden sprockets dont share the load over 2 or 3 sprockets.
I use 105 cassettes and the first four (I think) sprockets are all part of the one spider.
It's the first three sprockets. Still, you were much, much, closer to being correct than the user of "Italian quality rather than fishing gear". :roll: