Any Ideas

whatsinaname

Any Ideas

Postby whatsinaname » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:08 am

Hi all
Am new here....please be kind :D
I have recently been given a bike frame of dubious origin....i have searched other topics on this forum and cannot sem to find the answers i would like on this frame.
My intention is to build it up as a fixie but not sure if the frame is worth the effort. Will try to post some pics if i can....if not here is a brief description anyway:
Frame has ABENI stamped on it on the top of the seat post stays....also has an A stamped on top of the forks....red irradecent paint over chrome....forks are all chrome as is a section of the rear triangle....has ULTIMA stickers on it....has a number stamped on the bottom bracket 4728764 x7...bottom bracket also has two horizontal slots in it.....drop outs are colnago as are cranks, deraileurs etc...brake levers are Dura Ace of very early vintage

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Have pictures but cant find a way to post them as yet.

Cheers

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Any Ideas

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:57 am

Pic posting info HERE.
I see you found the Abeni thread :D Good luck with it.

Now, on a personal level. If you are going to go fixed, please don't chop into the frame to do it. I know it's your frame and you can do what you want with it but good frames last decades if looked after and the next custodian might like to have the choice of a full restore or modernise.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Sounds like a handbuilt abeni. A piece of classic retro aussie cycling. Probably made from a good quality tubeset. Keep it as is or fix convert,but don't grind or cut anything of it. Later you could fit modern wheels and groupset and have a nice roadie. If a true track frame is what you want, then maybe trade/swap it for one.
I think you mean campagnolo, not colnago.

whatsinaname

Postby whatsinaname » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:04 pm

Thanks your replies people, i think the link below might now work. Tks mulger bill
Yes BRLVR, it is campagnola not colnago

Cheers

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b58 ... 170714.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

whatsinaname

Postby whatsinaname » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Sorry guys, thought I had them all last time :D

Cheers
Last edited by Mulger bill on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: IMG fix

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Looks like a shim is used for a smaller seat post. With the description you give.., that is a very good qualityretro frame. If its the right size and fit then ride it. Can you link to your album of all pics? Its probably reynolds 531 or a columbus cro mo. Campy tips were'nt used on crappy frames . Contact europa cycles and quote the serial#

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:17 pm

That is a teensy tiny frame. Would probably fetch $200 up on ebay.

whatsinaname

Postby whatsinaname » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:27 pm

$200 just for the frame ? your kidding...guy was going to heave it...
Sounds like i will keep it then.
Frame measures 52cm ctr crank to top seat tube, lucky for me i am only 5'6"
Does appear to be a spacer in the seat tube, didnt see that before
I already have a brand new Felt Curbside 52cm, Jamis Mountie and an Avanti full carbon roadie, but still hanker to build a retro, not big on the red wheelset, might go chrome wheels mmmmm too many choices. Will need to look at others to see what looks good.

Cheers guys

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Most likely to take a 27.2 post, but shimmed down for something thinner.

Quality handbuilt steelies are quite trendy nowadays, and yours is built by an aussie frame maker with a good rep.

http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/f8/retro ... ers-19321/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... ight=ergos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

whatsinaname

Postby whatsinaname » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:41 pm

tks brlvr, rang Europa, not very helpful but nothing in it for them so understandable.

Seems responses on this thread are of great value....still trying to get an approximate age for this frame...
Europa confirmed frame is hand made italian, always full chrome imported by Ultima Cycles (John Abeni) and then custom built to order for buyers incl paint work. looks like Reynolds 531 steel tubes but no interest in serial number..prob need to know frame maker for serial # to be relevant.

Will prob strip paint work back to chrome, leave all extra bits on frame that I dont need for fixie/single speed, use the campag cranks n chainring 42t, get some bullhorns, reuse Shimano brake lever n campag front brake. 18t rear cog, saddle n bar tape dependant on what i do with frame colour if anything...looking for ideas.

Love the collective knowledge of forums like this...thanks all.

cheers

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:22 pm

I'd build it as a roadie, but its not my size, nor my bike, so do what you think is best!

LG

Postby LG » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:09 am

Keep the paint (or re-paint it). The rear triangle and forks are chrome, the rest of the frame is most likely not. Doesn't look like it in the paint chip photos.
LG = Low Gear