Garmin Out Front Mount

simonn

Garmin Out Front Mount

Postby simonn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:46 am

Has anyone tried mounting a garmin using the out front mount, but mounted backwards so that the actual gps/computer is above the stem?

I do not currently have a garmin (edge, anyway) , but wondered if it would be possible to mount it so it does not interfere with my ayups which are on the front of the bars and battery which I mount under the stem.

I hope that makes sense?

jamesn184

Re: Garmin Out Front Mount

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:28 pm

I have the mount which places my Garmin directly in front of my stem
It's called "bar fly" or something like that

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:50 pm

I run the mounts from racewaredirect... They are great... Service and support is also fantastic, for a one man operation...

Checkem out, the are similar to the barfly but much stiffer...

http://www.racewaredirect.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

U could try the k-edge mount, although they look cumbersome to me...

good thread with all the options over on WWs:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hp?t=99896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:37 am

I use the k-Edge mount for the Garmin.

My Chinese lights broke on the weekend so I've just bought a set of ayups.

I searched the Web and found how people have combined them. The cleverest one was to use a modified helmet mount underneath the stem. One end was cable tied around the stem and the other was bolted in the stem cap bolts (the guys drilled/modified the mount with a dremel). This is what I'm planning on doing.

I'll try and find a pic as I didn't save it.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:41 am

Found it. It's with a barfly mount but near enough.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 25#p894613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
Dave

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:04 pm

Ozkaban wrote:I use the k-Edge mount for the Garmin.

I searched the Web and found how people have combined them. The cleverest one was to use a modified helmet mount underneath the stem. One end was cable tied around the stem and the other was bolted in the stem cap bolts (the guys drilled/modified the mount with a dremel). This is what I'm planning on doing.

Cheers,
Dave
Lol^^^^^
That's actually my setup I posted on WW... Took 2 secs to rig up, and it's quite stealth to leave on... It's a racewaredirect mount however, not a barfly, but will work with any mount really... As u can see tho, it's on a Di2 bike so there is one set of cables less to have to try and work around...

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:03 pm

Ozkaban wrote:That's actually my setup I posted on WW
Where do you put the battery? What size battery?

I need to use an epic battery (the big one) because of audax rides so it is not just a matter of positioning the garmin (that I have not decided whether to purchase or not yet) out of the way of the lights, but also out of the way of the battery.

I am not sure if anyone has really understood what I mean. What I want to determine the possibility of is mounting an out-front/bar fly type mount backwards so that the part where the garmin attaches is floating over the stem, not infront of the bars, i.e. rotate the mount by 180%. Can you mount the computer so it is facing the right way if this is done? Does the angle of it work out ok? etc etc

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:18 pm

simonn wrote:
Ozkaban wrote:That's actually my setup I posted on WW
Where do you put the battery? What size battery?

I need to use an epic battery (the big one) because of audax rides so it is not just a matter of positioning the garmin (that I have not decided whether to purchase or not yet) out of the way of the lights, but also out of the way of the battery.

I am not sure if anyone has really understood what I mean. What I want to determine the possibility of is mounting an out-front/bar fly type mount backwards so that the part where the garmin attaches is floating over the stem, not infront of the bars, i.e. rotate the mount by 180%. Can you mount the computer so it is facing the right way if this is done? Does the angle of it work out ok? etc etc
it will work fine, mounted on the left and pointed backwards.... to get it above the stem however it would be angled a little forward i think... unless u mount it a little further left and have it to the sode of the stem....
i mount an half or full epic on the stem when im using my lights....

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:

Lol^^^^^
That's actually my setup I posted on WW... Took 2 secs to rig up, and it's quite stealth to leave on... It's a racewaredirect mount however, not a barfly, but will work with any mount really... As u can see tho, it's on a Di2 bike so there is one set of cables less to have to try and work around...
How funny :mrgreen:

I am a bit concerned about the number of cables. One of the pains of the newer groupset preference for routing cables under the bar tape is that there are now 4 very tight cables in that area.

Still, with your inspiration I reckon I'll work it out :cool:

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:

Cheers,
Dave
Lol^^^^^

I like!!!!

This is mine at the mo and the slight offset kinda annoys me... No it annoys me a lot!

Going to give this a go over the weekend.

Thanks guys!

Ps.. Would love to mount my full epic under the stem but I chopped my Yokoz too short =(
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:50 pm

My one allows you to go above or below...
Image Image

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Looks like I might be better off mounting the ayup battery under the top tube.

I already have an Etrex Vista hcx and Sigma wired computer. The etrex is great for navigation and on audax rides as it takes AA batteries which completely eliminates battery life as an issue. The sigma is good because it just keeps going, battery life is not an issue (change every year?) and distance + cue sheet is still an adequate way to navigate. No HRM or cadence though.

The Edge 800 does navigation better than the etrex (has turn by turn, which the etrex does not if following tracks/gpx) and has HRM/cadence etc, but doesn't have the battery life for audax and is pretty expensive.

The Edge 500 does everything the Etrex doesn't, is relatively cheap but still doesn't have the battery life for audax so cannot replace the sigma, but would be great for normal road rides where I know where I am going/following the pack.

But they all use different mounts :roll:.

Maybe I just need to buy another bicycle ;)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:06 pm

NhiTrac wrote:
Ps.. Would love to mount my full epic under the stem but I chopped my Yokoz too short =(
That's a trick for young players!! I did the same with my yokozunas as well lol

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:33 pm

I mount my AYUP battery on the (right) side of my stem. The Garmin 500 is on the stem as well and leaves just enough room to wrap the battery holder around. The lights are level with the bars, not below like NhiTrac's. I have the large battery.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:40 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:

Cheers,
Dave
Lol^^^^^
I quite like that setup. Not sure I understand what the helmet mount is?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Ross wrote:I quite like that setup. Not sure I understand what the helmet mount is?
Gecko mount.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:21 pm

twizzle wrote:
Ross wrote:I quite like that setup. Not sure I understand what the helmet mount is?
Gecko mount.
It's not the gecko mount, but this one cut down & modded...

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:24 pm

Ross wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:

Cheers,
Dave
Lol^^^^^
I quite like that setup. Not sure I understand what the helmet mount is?

It's the above helmet mount, cut down & modded, then mounted in the faceplate bolts, and bent back under the stem