M7 Safety Alert Thread

TimW

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby TimW » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:07 pm

I think pedestrians should be drug tested if they can go that fast :shock: :shock:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:31 pm

Interesting sign Don, thanks for posting. Very interesting that it reads "Cyclists are advised not to exceed 30 km/h".

That seems rather less stern language than a speed limit - maybe more like the speed advisory warnings on
signs at road bends. If you exceed it, you may risk being considered reckless and negligent.

What do the legal beagles here make of it ?
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:32 am

Bugger! :( I like the M7 for the very reason that you can go quickly and where I use it, there are only very few people on it.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:19 pm

There were no speed advisory signs along the M7 path I rode today. Perhaps a better way to enhance safety is for the dead heads to stop riding two abreast around the blind corners with one rider crossing onto to the other side of the path.

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:33 pm

biker jk wrote:There were no speed advisory signs along the M7 path I rode today. Perhaps a better way to enhance safety is for the dead heads to stop riding two abreast around the blind corners with one rider crossing onto to the other side of the path.
They are at the entrance to Sunnyholt Rd at the top of the ramp,and at the norwest carpark, they seem to be off the actual cycleway, more on the entrances but further back.Tim
ps There will allways be deadheads who can't ride safely, its a fact of life, not just cycling on the M7C :mrgreen:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:06 am

biker jk wrote:There were no speed advisory signs along the M7 path I rode today. Perhaps a better way to enhance safety is for the dead heads to stop riding two abreast around the blind corners with one rider crossing onto to the other side of the path.
That's not just on the M7 cycleway. :lol: It often happens on the Greystanes Canal reserve on that blind corner where you turn left to go down alongside the Prospect Reservoir car-park. You just ride like you are expecting it to happen. And give them a serve for it.

M7 is probably one of the best cycleways/shared paths for what we do, it is well surfaced and usually fairly wide. :)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:32 pm

g-boaf wrote:
That's not just on the M7 cycleway. :lol: It often happens on the Greystanes Canal reserve on that blind corner where you turn left to go down alongside the Prospect Reservoir car-park. You just ride like you are expecting it to happen. And give them a serve for it.

M7 is probably one of the best cycleways/shared paths for what we do, it is well surfaced and usually fairly wide. :)
It's usually the Euro-cool roadies who ride two abreast through the blind corners and when I suggest they move to their own side of the path they usually tell me to you know what. I believe their reaction is one of embarrassment for being called on dangerous riding and they react by shooting the messenger.

westab

Postby westab » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:45 am

Just keep an eye out on the bridge over Woodstock Av, Rooty Hill. When travelling south the expansion plate on the start of the bridge has a bump that is getting larger. I hit it at the wrong angle the other day and now have a very slight buckle in my front - if it was wet I think if you hit it at the wrong angle it could bring you down.

JK I hear you - my work mate and I do ride two abreast so we can talk but not when there are other riders / peds approaching or on the bends. I think (IMHO) that it is just too risky.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:00 am

westab wrote:Just keep an eye out on the bridge over Woodstock Av, Rooty Hill. When travelling south the expansion plate on the start of the bridge has a bump that is getting larger. I hit it at the wrong angle the other day and now have a very slight buckle in my front - if it was wet I think if you hit it at the wrong angle it could bring you down.

JK I hear you - my work mate and I do ride two abreast so we can talk but not when there are other riders / peds approaching or on the bends. I think (IMHO) that it is just too risky.
Thanks for the note. And I think it is quite fine to ride as you are doing. You are sensible about it. I ride like that sometimes too, I enjoy talking and it's much easier to do this riding side-by-side.

Shred931

Postby Shred931 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:05 am

There is plenty of room to ride two abreast.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:24 am

Shred931 wrote:There is plenty of room to ride two abreast.
Unless you are going around blind corners.

Shred931

Postby Shred931 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:13 pm

lump_a_charcoal wrote:
What do blind corners have to do with riding two abreast? Hold your line, don't cross over onto the wrond side. Its an easy concept.

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:16 pm

Shred931 wrote:
lump_a_charcoal wrote:
What do blind corners have to do with riding two abreast? Hold your line, don't cross over onto the wrond side. Its an easy concept.
Do you ride the M7? If you did you would understand that human error accounts for a lot of the accidents in the underpasses of the M7. particularly when 2 groups approach each other.It happens, people over cook the approach, and drift across. The ideal way to ride it is if you are with someone or a group, is to drop into single file for the bends and underpasses, then regroup and continue your conversation 2 up when it is safe. Any imbecile can understand that. However many don't which is why there are many accidents.Tim

Shred931

Postby Shred931 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:32 pm

TimW wrote: Do you ride the M7? If you did you would understand that human error accounts for a lot of the accidents in the underpasses of the M7. particularly when 2 groups approach each other.It happens, people over cook the approach, and drift across. The ideal way to ride it is if you are with someone or a group, is to drop into single file for the bends and underpasses, then regroup and continue your conversation 2 up when it is safe. Any imbecile can understand that. However many don't which is why there are many accidents.Tim
I don't appreciate the inference that I'm an imbecile, mate. I've cycled thousands of km's on that track and never had an accident, but I don't cut corners, whether in a group, alone or two abreast.

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Shred931 wrote:
TimW wrote: Do you ride the M7? If you did you would understand that human error accounts for a lot of the accidents in the underpasses of the M7. particularly when 2 groups approach each other.It happens, people over cook the approach, and drift across. The ideal way to ride it is if you are with someone or a group, is to drop into single file for the bends and underpasses, then regroup and continue your conversation 2 up when it is safe. Any imbecile can understand that. However many don't which is why there are many accidents.Tim
I don't appreciate the inference that I'm an imbecile, mate. I've cycled thousands of km's on that track and never had an accident, but I don't cut corners, whether in a group, alone or two abreast.
You have drawn the inference, i was infering nothing to you, but the ones who cut the corners. :roll:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:19 pm

TimW wrote:
Do you ride the M7? If you did you would understand that human error accounts for a lot of the accidents in the underpasses of the M7. particularly when 2 groups approach each other.It happens, people over cook the approach, and drift across. The ideal way to ride it is if you are with someone or a group, is to drop into single file for the bends and underpasses, then regroup and continue your conversation 2 up when it is safe. Any imbecile can understand that. However many don't which is why there are many accidents.Tim
+1. It's about risk management. There is no need to ride two abreast through the blind corners. The risk of drifting over the centreline is high. If the outside rider takes corrective action to avoid a head on he/she will take out their riding partner. Don't ride two abreast through the corners. It's idiotic.

westab

Postby westab » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Thursday 8th Nov. - 4:20pm - Just a quick update at moment in the Blacktown area there is an electrical storm coming through.

Be careful out there - ride safe.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

vince

Postby vince » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:50 am

just a heads up, lots of storm debris between elizabeth drive and prestons, mainly leaves and twigs etc but there are also some decent size branches too. i managed to kick a few of the really large ones off so take care out there
2011 Fuji Roubaix 1
"Man plans, God laughs"

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:45 pm

vince wrote:just a heads up, lots of storm debris between elizabeth drive and prestons, mainly leaves and twigs etc but there are also some decent size branches too. i managed to kick a few of the really large ones off so take care out there
Thanks for the note - I'm planning to head out that way tomorrow morning - weather permitting. :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:12 pm

I did ride along the southern side of M7 past Horsley Drive and pretty much all the storm debris is clear, but watch for the 90° corners under the M7 motorway, there is still a lot of loose dirt there.

fuji shogun

Postby fuji shogun » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:14 pm

another snake, a brown 3-4 foot long perfectly across the line in the centre of the path.
Dean Park i think, North of Richmond Rd where you are high above the road.
330-4pm today.
the name of the game is to overtake a more expensive bike than yours.

MoeJoe

Postby MoeJoe » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Folks,

Brown snake just north of the Hoxton Park overpass this morning at approx 9:00am. It is that time of year :roll:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:54 am

MoeJoe wrote:Folks,
Brown snake just north of the Hoxton Park overpass this morning at approx 9:00am. It is that time of year :roll:
Thanks for the report. I've updated the M7 Safety Alerts google map. You are welcome to edit it if I've got the
location wrong.
Fuji shogun wrote: another snake, a brown 3-4 foot long perfectly across the line in the centre of the path.
Dean Park i think, North of Richmond Rd where you are high above the road.
330-4pm today.
Map also updated for this see here
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:32 pm

Watch for little rabbits. Last Friday night (28th Dec) there was one running around on the path, no big deal. This Friday though (4th Jan), there were two bolting around on the downhll sections. Not much fun when you're on the aerobars..
What are these salesmen peddling?

glowe

Postby glowe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:00 am

Hi everyone

If you are coming down the hill too fast and are not slowed down by the speed bumps at Norwest, going towards Parramatta, right where you will most probably lose it on the bend the railing pops off its rectangular metal base leaving a piece of metal that can go into your shoulder and leave a 10 x 6 cm hole all the way down to your bone or Clavicle as the doctors call it. As you have probably guessed I know this from experience and have the photos if anyone is interested.