How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby J-Tim » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:55 am

Beautiful commute to Pyrmont via Cronulla this morning. Total 56km! Not even a sight of wind, which is a great change!
Image
User avatar
J-Tim
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:36 pm

by BNA » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:56 am

BNA
 

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:56 am

find_bruce wrote:Had a passenger for the first 8 km of my commute - he was stuck to my back wheel & no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't shake him - worst of all he is only 18 months old :D

Dropping him off for baby sitting only added 500 m to my commute, but the extra weight sure slowed me down


:lol:

good weight training
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5825
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:25 am

jasonc wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Had a passenger for the first 8 km of my commute - he was stuck to my back wheel & no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't shake him - worst of all he is only 18 months old :D

Dropping him off for baby sitting only added 500 m to my commute, but the extra weight sure slowed me down


:lol:

good weight training


I don't mind the weight when doing that. Its when you get a bad headwind and you realise the 2nd seat is like having a huge sail on the bike that you really end up doing some resistance training... :)
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:37 am

InTheWoods wrote:
jasonc wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Had a passenger for the first 8 km of my commute - he was stuck to my back wheel & no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't shake him - worst of all he is only 18 months old :D

Dropping him off for baby sitting only added 500 m to my commute, but the extra weight sure slowed me down


:lol:

good weight training


I don't mind the weight when doing that. Its when you get a bad headwind and you realise the 2nd seat is like having a huge sail on the bike that you really end up doing some resistance training... :)


well better to have the resistance than realise somewhere along the ride that you have shaken that "passenger" off the rear wheel...imagine the poo you would be in then by the missus hahaha
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Comedian » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:44 pm

Tough one for me. Crook today.. missed my early ride. Commuted to work but should have stayed home. :(
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:50 pm

jasonc wrote:you guys are just bludging knowing it's going to be a couple of weeks before I'm at full strength again

:mrgreen: - on a serious note, what did the doctor diagnose your knee issue as?
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Mill Park, Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:05 pm

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:you guys are just bludging knowing it's going to be a couple of weeks before I'm at full strength again

:mrgreen: - on a serious note, what did the doctor diagnose your knee issue as?


physio said quads and hammies are all locked up. Last night I asked "can I rode tomorrow" response "no"
"CAn i ride friday" response "no"
he then said "saturday should be ok"
"so i'll be right to ride to work monday?" response "Yes"
have to ice my left knee a couple of times a day and have an exercise to do.

let me ride dag nam it.

Comedian wrote:Tough one for me. Crook today.. missed my early ride. Commuted to work but should have stayed home. :(

want to swap?
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5825
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:32 pm

jasonc wrote:physio said quads and hammies are all locked up. Last night I asked "can I rode tomorrow" response "no"
"CAn i ride friday" response "no"
he then said "saturday should be ok"
"so i'll be right to ride to work monday?" response "Yes"
have to ice my left knee a couple of times a day and have an exercise to do.

let me ride dag nam it.



On a further serious note...you should really give the knee/body a decent break...we dont bounce back as quickly as we get older...think riding sat or monday, even next week would be way to early
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:15 pm

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:physio said quads and hammies are all locked up. Last night I asked "can I rode tomorrow" response "no"
"CAn i ride friday" response "no"
he then said "saturday should be ok"
"so i'll be right to ride to work monday?" response "Yes"
have to ice my left knee a couple of times a day and have an exercise to do.

let me ride dag nam it.



On a further serious note...you should really give the knee/body a decent break...we dont bounce back as quickly as we get older...think riding sat or monday, even next week would be way to early


I'm not old. just pushed a bit harder than I should have with muscles that were already saying "NO". I'll be going on what the physio says.

cheers for the thoughts.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5825
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:01 pm

Thanks for the laughs jasonc, gretaboy & InTheWoods - the little boy followed me home too, fell asleep in the trailer so I got to do an extra 10 km on the way home before he woke up.
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3664
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Uneventful early commute home (4.30) till a run in with a taxi driver at cnr Butterfield and Fagan Rds Herston when a taxi who took issue with my lane claiming tried to pass on the left and then right hook into Butterfield, narrowly missing my front wheel. Chased him up the road cursing as i went, but gave up.

To the commute group behind me, apologies for the language.......
chop wood
User avatar
landscapecadmonkey
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:46 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:20 am

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:you guys are just bludging knowing it's going to be a couple of weeks before I'm at full strength again

:mrgreen: - on a serious note, what did the doctor diagnose your knee issue as?

he then said "saturday should be ok"
"so i'll be right to ride to work monday?" response "Yes"
let me ride dag nam it.

Almost Saturday! :D Hope you knee is back in order.

To my rides..
Melbourne was pleasant yesterday afternoon, sunny, but not too warm. There's a bumpy detour via the grasslands on the Darebin Creek Trail near La Trobe Uni where the path is being replaced.
Cool again this morning. 3km into my ride, I encountered another fool in a smokebox who continued rolling into the ped/cycle crossing on Plenty Road, almost completely blocking it as I was rolling past on the green ped/bicycle light. There seems to be a spate of bad driving (more than usual anyways) in my area.
Having had enough of traffic, I did part of the Darebin Creek Trail into the CBD. Nice enough, but slower than my normal route as the trail is unlit, and despite a decent light on the bike, it's probably unwise to hammer along in the dark....
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Mill Park, Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:29 am

TailWind wrote:Almost Saturday! :D Hope you knee is back in order.


find out tonight....
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5825
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:11 am

Jason...sounds like your getting a bit grumpy not riding hahahaha....I know I do .... all's good mate, you will be back soon, I am hoping to catch you again on Bike Journal..my time off set me back a bit

On my ride home yesterday I had some tool, by the looks of his dual cab ute a painter by trade, give me a beep. He was wanting to turn left off the New England Highway. Only issue with this is that I was on the shoulder, at this point it is quite wide, and the actual designated lane to turn left was 50 metres in front of me. So I wasnt sure if he was beeping to simply let me know he was there or whether he was having a go at me for impeding him. I just shook my head in the end.

This morning I got my first flat in a very long time, I was only 3 k from home at the time. Had rain the night before and roads were wet. Given I only had two CO2 canisters and two tubes on me...and 42 odd k's to go I seriously thought about turning home and getting the car. Was a bit rusty on the tyre changing technique but eventually got it done and risked it all and rode on. Had been planning to take it easy this morning but due to the flat had to push it a bit.

Then the garmin recorded the ride but now doesnt want to upload it.
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:37 am

gretaboy wrote:Jason...sounds like your getting a bit grumpy not riding hahahaha....I know I do .... all's good mate, you will be back soon, I am hoping to catch you again on Bike Journal..my time off set me back a bit


yes, grumpy. so you aiming for 12k too?

gretaboy wrote:This morning I got my first flat in a very long time, I was only 3 k from home at the time. Had rain the night before and roads were wet. Given I only had two CO2 canisters and two tubes on me...and 42 odd k's to go I seriously thought about turning home and getting the car. Was a bit rusty on the tyre changing technique but eventually got it done and risked it all and rode on. Had been planning to take it easy this morning but due to the flat had to push it a bit.


that your first flat with the marathon plus tyres? how many kms?
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5825
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:44 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:Jason...sounds like your getting a bit grumpy not riding hahahaha....I know I do .... all's good mate, you will be back soon, I am hoping to catch you again on Bike Journal..my time off set me back a bit


yes, grumpy. so you aiming for 12k too?


mate, I am looking at achieving 10k in commuting with Mondays morning ride...will be rapt with that, never thought I would do 10k in a year let alone just commuting.

I have got 10528 in total k's so far so I reckon 12-13 will be easily achieved...am thinking Dec may be a big month if all goes well
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:48 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:This morning I got my first flat in a very long time, I was only 3 k from home at the time. Had rain the night before and roads were wet. Given I only had two CO2 canisters and two tubes on me...and 42 odd k's to go I seriously thought about turning home and getting the car. Was a bit rusty on the tyre changing technique but eventually got it done and risked it all and rode on. Had been planning to take it easy this morning but due to the flat had to push it a bit.


that your first flat with the marathon plus tyres? how many kms?



actually my second or third...got a huge hole in my front tyre, used to be back tyre until the hole, from a glass shard...had some others but they were due to tyre liners so dont count them...have done roughly 4109 k's on them. They have held up well and will get them again
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:23 am

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:that your first flat with the marathon plus tyres? how many kms?


actually my second or third...got a huge hole in my front tyre, used to be back tyre until the hole, from a glass shard...had some others but they were due to tyre liners so dont count them...have done roughly 4109 k's on them. They have held up well and will get them again


am up to 4300 on mine. they are doing well. rear tyre is very squared but still has rubber. I reckon i'll get 5kms out of the rear and probably 15k out of the front. awesome km/$ value
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5825
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby find_bruce » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:17 pm

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:that your first flat with the marathon plus tyres? how many kms?


actually my second or third...got a huge hole in my front tyre, used to be back tyre until the hole, from a glass shard...had some others but they were due to tyre liners so dont count them...have done roughly 4109 k's on them. They have held up well and will get them again


am up to 4300 on mine. they are doing well. rear tyre is very squared but still has rubber. I reckon i'll get 5kms out of the rear and probably 15k out of the front. awesome km/$ value

Yep, pretty much my experience with them as well. The difference though is that 15k is about 3 years commuting for me, not the 12 months you 2 guys get done.

The point for me is not so much the $ but not having to stop & f about on my commute fixing a flat.
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3664
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:23 pm

find_bruce wrote:Yep, pretty much my experience with them as well. The difference though is that 15k is about 3 years commuting for me, not the 12 months you 2 guys get done.

The point for me is not so much the $ but not having to stop & f about on my commute fixing a flat.


was covered in grease as a result of this morning...even had the bike fall over onto me whilst dealing with the rim/tyre as a result of a semi flying past..

I was getting really frustrated earlier this year due to all the flats I was getting, even thinking of giving up on the commuting...but going to these tyres has really brought back the enjoyment. I am ok with getting a flat now and then, not 3 in one ride
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:24 pm

find_bruce wrote:Yep, pretty much my experience with them as well. The difference though is that 15k is about 3 years commuting for me, not the 12 months you 2 guys get done.


thanks Bruce - this made me smile :mrgreen:
my wife doesn't think it's wonderful, trust me
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5825
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:07 pm

physio update: no riding. back there next Wednesday to probably be told I still can't ride. I don't do things by halves...
this will be the longest break off the bike I've had since last year some time.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5825
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Le Velo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:55 pm

jasonc wrote:physio update: no riding. back there next Wednesday to probably be told I still can't ride. I don't do things by halves...
this will be the longest break off the bike I've had since last year some time.


That's not good ....what what the cause of it?
Image
User avatar
Le Velo
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:07 pm

Le Velo wrote:
jasonc wrote:physio update: no riding. back there next Wednesday to probably be told I still can't ride. I don't do things by halves...
this will be the longest break off the bike I've had since last year some time.


That's not good ....what what the cause of it?


the number on the green line below
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5825
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:27 am

jasonc wrote:physio update: no riding. back there next Wednesday to probably be told I still can't ride. I don't do things by halves...
this will be the longest break off the bike I've had since last year some time.

That sucks, sorry to hear.
On the other hand, you're having a break from the mayhem happening on the roads at the moment.

Riding home yesterday through a rather large traffic circle in Mill Park, no traffic except one car approaching the circle from the 9 o'clock exit from my perspective. I'm already in the circle going straight through , crossing the 9 o'clock exit/entrance, the car keeps on coming. I look at the driver - she's fiddling with something on the passenger seat, not looking to her right for traffic. Nearly cleaned me up. I yell loudly, she finally sees me and floors it through the circle.
Not sure why drivers are trying to hasten my extinction at the moment.

After a year of only a few mild incidents, the last few weeks have felt like a fight for survival.

Are other Melbourne riders out there noticing a serious decline in driving ability in the last few weeks?
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Mill Park, Melbourne

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AndreB1972, malnar, TailWind



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit