Scott CR1 Team vs Cannondale Synapse 4

audiboi

Scott CR1 Team vs Cannondale Synapse 4

Postby audiboi » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi everyone!

After nearly 2 years of not having ridden a bike, I'm thinking of getting back on the saddle. I'm looking into the market and exploring options, and I've come across some fairly decent (IMO) second hand deals.

Could someone help me weigh out the pro's and con's between these two bikes? Both are within $100 of each other.

2009 Scott CR1 Team (Shimano 105)
2010 Cannonadle Synapse Carbon 4 (Sram Rival DT)

My previous bike was alloy and around 10+ years old, so I'm quite amazed at the pricing/availability of full carbon bikes these days!

I'm a weekend rider, so am happy to hear of any other suggestions on bikes I could look out for.

Thanks!

JustJames

Re: Scott CR1 Team vs Cannondale Synapse 4

Postby JustJames » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:58 pm

Scott's weakness is no detachable der hanger.

Cannondale's weakness is that they break, and as a second purchaser you won't get the 5 year lifetime warranty to help you out.

(In fairness, the Synapse may be a Crack'n'fail that doesn't break.)

Edit for full disclosure: I ride a circa 2006 CR1 Team, and it's a great bike. Frame weight is around 900 grams, so it's very light!
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:22 pm

I ride a 2008 cr1. The non replaceable dérailleur hanger has never been an issue. I love it so much that I've replaced my tt bike and mtb this year but not my roadie.

Sorry I can't help with the 'dale.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:29 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I ride a 2008 cr1. The non replaceable dérailleur hanger has never been an issue. I love it so much that I've replaced my tt bike and mtb this year but not my roadie.

Well, y'see, the thing with a non replaceable der hanger (and I do admire the effort you've gone to there, to get all en francaise on our asses), is that it isn't an issue right up until the time that it suddenly is an issue.

So the CR1 may be not such a great choice if you're planning on doing crits, or if you just crash a lot anyway.

Apart from that it's a great bike, and completely cured me of lusting after other bikes.

Well, other roadie, racer type bikes anyway.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 pm

JustJames wrote: Well, y'see, the thing with a non replaceable der hanger (and I do admire the effort you've gone to there, to get all en francaise on our asses), is that it isn't an issue right up until the time that it suddenly is an issue.

:oops: iPad auto correct I'm afraid...you should have seen what I typed in!!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:20 pm

If James had been using it he wouldn't have made such a hash of Français :P
One of the companies I work for has a 100 or so Synapse ... they seem to be a good solid performer, Cannondale got it's nick name from it's alloy bikes. The only issue I saw with the Synapse was a drop out coming unbonded on a fork. But these bikes are transported long distances with clamps on the front forks and if one side is not done up tight it can put pressure on the other... no surprise there.
Agree with Jame's comment on the hanger... zero issue till it is an issue then it is a throw away frame. You don't have to crash to rip a hanger off :oops: .

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:34 pm

toolonglegs wrote:You don't have to crash to rip a hanger off :oops: .
+1
have seen the aftermath WITH a replaceable hanger. without would have been A LOT more expensive

(aftermath: scraped spokes, broken derailleur hanger, smashed rear derailleur)

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:43 pm

JustJames wrote:Cannondale's weakness is that they break, and as a second purchaser you won't get the 5 year lifetime warranty to help you out.
:lol:
JustJames wrote:(In fairness, the Synapse may be a Crack'n'fail that doesn't break.)
Get the spelling right, it's Crack'n'fale :wink: Although you can spell it any way you like.
JustJames wrote:Edit for full disclosure: I ride a circa 2006 CR1 Team, and it's a great bike. Frame weight is around 900 grams, so it's very light!
Edit for full disclosure: I ride a circa 2010 Surly CC, and it's a great bike. Frame weight is around 2000 grams, so it's very heavy! :mrgreen:

audiboi

Postby audiboi » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I've been trying to research a bit more on the web as well and it does seem that the CR1 comes out to be more favourable.

Unfortunately for me, I'm looking online (eBay) at both these bikes, and both of them aren't in the same city as me - else a test ride would have been the easiest decider.

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:21 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I ride a 2008 cr1. The non replaceable dérailleur hanger has never been an issue. I love it so much that I've replaced my tt bike and mtb this year but not my roadie.

Mine's a 2009 CR1 Pro... I bought the bike knowing about the hanger issue and have never regretted buying it. Sure it may be an issue in a crash but I'd be checking my spine, skull and other important parts of my body before I checked my bike. I can always get a new bike... :)

Can't help with the Cannondale either.

Tim

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:41 pm

Well i have a Speedster which is supposedly the same geometry as the CR1 but in aluminium, at least it has a replaceable hanger :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

timbo

Postby timbo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:15 am

U2adam!!! wrote:

Mine's a 2009 CR1 Pro... I bought the bike knowing about the hanger issue and have never regretted buying it. Sure it may be an issue in a crash but I'd be checking my spine, skull and other important parts of my body before I checked my bike. I can always get a new bike... :)

Can't help with the Cannondale either.

Tim
So, you would be checking your spine, skull and other bits first because while crashing, you threw yourself underneath the bike to protect the non-replaceable hanger? :)

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:15 pm

audiboi wrote:Thanks for the input guys. I've been trying to research a bit more on the web as well and it does seem that the CR1 comes out to be more favourable.

Unfortunately for me, I'm looking online (eBay) at both these bikes, and both of them aren't in the same city as me - else a test ride would have been the easiest decider.
I was under the impression that the CR1 was a race bike and I know that the Synapse is more of a recreational positioned bike (dosen't mean you can't race it)

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:08 pm

I think the cr1 used to be (when I got mine it was), but then the addict came along and they relaxed the geometry a tad, thinned the front fork (which sold me mine and I personally don't like the narrower fork). I see it more as a cruiser these days, but not as cushy as a defy. I think :P

audiboi

Postby audiboi » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:23 pm

So after all the input about the CR1, I bit the bullet today and went for it.

Its a 2010 Scott CR1 Comp w/ Tiagra.

The only thing I'm unsure of is that its fitted with Wellgo Pedals/Cleats, but I could always change that if I'm not happy with it.

Thanks guys for the input!

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:19 pm

For some reason the pic of your new bike does not display properly.

From this I can only assume it didn't happen.

audiboi

Postby audiboi » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:00 pm

I think the reason the pic doesn't display is because I didn't put one up in the first place!

:grin:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:03 pm

Lol :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:08 pm

audiboi wrote:I think the reason the pic doesn't display is because I didn't put one up in the first place!

:grin:

Pfffft.

Didn't happen!

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:52 am

Doesn't Synapse have a more relaxed geometry in comparison to CR1 so more suited longer sportive type rides?