3%

Total votes: 38
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: How much do you like riding fixed?

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
Mulger bill wrote: I don't want to put SPuDs on as they go against the whole casual jump on and go thing I want from this bike, more practice?
SPD's I'm afraid. You will enjoy it more anyway.
:( I'll give it a go tomorrow.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:37 pm

If you are running any clip less system on a fixed gear on the street you should have the tension wound to max.

I've used SPD's which I've pulled out of skidding. Sucks. I've since swapped to Look Keo's on max tension and they are amazing. If I'm just riding to the pub or socially then cages and straps all the way.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:53 pm

HLC wrote:If I'm just riding to the pub or socially then cages and straps all the way.
That's pretty much what I'm planning on keeping this bike for, any tips on easy entry?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:07 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
HLC wrote:If I'm just riding to the pub or socially then cages and straps all the way.
That's pretty much what I'm planning on keeping this bike for, any tips on easy entry?
Practise practise practise!! Getting some pedals with a lip on the back makes the, easier to flip over and slide your foot in! But practise makes perfect!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:55 pm

Thanks, been doing lots of that lately. Me other bikes have been getting jealous :D Never had a problem with getting in before I went to SPuDs years back but that was freewheeling

The pedals I'm running are these, the only clip and straps in the LBS. The flip is very small and shiny, might hit them with a file to give them some grip.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:21 pm

Went out fixed today, had a shocker, but not quitting yet but learned a couple of lessons.
1. On the run down the hill from home snagged a shoelace on the left shoe after forgetting to tuck them in (not onto SPDs yet), luckily not in the chain.
2. A little further down the road the chain quick link came apart - luckily running brakes and nothing caught in the wheel so I stopped safely. Wandered back up the road and found the missing link then reinstalled it.
3. Lockring came off the BB half way along, couldnt get it to thread back on while on the side of the road, prayed everything would stay together until I got home (it did)
4. Hit a bumpy patch in the road and somehow kicked myself off the pedals. Managed not to have a forced dismount, but took prob 50m to get the feet back on. I think I stood to coast over the bumps and... 30 years of freewheeled riding will do that.
5. Pulled up at the destination into a carpark and didn't see the bump-stop at the end of the parking space and had to ride over. This is easy on MTB, apparently it requires a completely different technique while fixed, one I haven't mastered so I must've looked like a right muppet to the people inside the building.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:49 am

1 through to 4 are all you own fault ,and have nothing to do with riding fixed. Your mechanical failures and lack of foot retention rest squarely with you. How can you not stop if you have 2 good brakes and a you legs as well. :roll:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:27 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote:1 through to 4 are all you own fault ,and have nothing to do with riding fixed. Your mechanical failures and lack of foot retention rest squarely with you. How can you not stop if you have 2 good brakes and a you legs as well. :roll:
Fair cop. There were no problems stopping, the mechanicals could have happened on any bike.
1 was a reminder not to ride with loose items that could potentially snag and stop the wheel.
4 was definitely fixed related, need to learn the technique of riding over a rough section while pedalling properly, foot retention will be installed soon.
5 partially fixed related, was concentrating on slowing down to stop without using brakes and didn't look where I was going properly. Need to train muscles that riding fixed is not an automatic response yet, some aspects are not 'just like riding a bike' yet.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:42 pm

bychosis wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote:1 through to 4 are all you own fault ,and have nothing to do with riding fixed. Your mechanical failures and lack of foot retention rest squarely with you. How can you not stop if you have 2 good brakes and a you legs as well. :roll:
Fair cop. There were no problems stopping, the mechanicals could have happened on any bike.
1 was a reminder not to ride with loose items that could potentially snag and stop the wheel.
4 was definitely fixed related, need to learn the technique of riding over a rough section while pedalling properly, foot retention will be installed soon.
5 partially fixed related, was concentrating on slowing down to stop without using brakes and didn't look where I was going properly. Need to train muscles that riding fixed is not an automatic response yet, some aspects are not 'just like riding a bike' yet.
Yeah, sorry to be blunt, but as someone who had 3 stitches in his shin from a rush to get a ride on a new build going , I'm qualified to comment. Links in chains, and loose BB's are things that should be double checked before a maiden run, as are crank bolts , headsets and brake tuning. Stick with the fixed thing and use the brakes as much as you need, brakeless is not for everyone.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:52 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
bychosis wrote:
Yeah, sorry to be blunt, but as someone who had 3 stitches in his shin from a rush to get a ride on a new build going , I'm qualified to comment. Links in chains, and loose BB's are things that should be double checked before a maiden run, as are crank bolts , headsets and brake tuning. Stick with the fixed thing and use the brakes as much as you need, brakeless is not for everyone.
Don't know what happened to the chain link, it has been fine for about 4 other 20-30min rides. Its a KMC SS chain wiht the std quick link. A snap on 1/8" like http://www.kmcchain.eu/?en/products/con ... onnectors/
The BB seems to be a tad narrow for the frame, the locking didn't have much to thread onto when adjusted properly. Nt sure what I'll do there

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:16 pm

bychosis wrote: The BB seems to be a tad narrow for the frame, the locking didn't have much to thread onto when adjusted properly. Nt sure what I'll do there
A 68mm English BB is just that, if the BB you have is English threaded it should fit fine, is it new or are you using an old one. get a sealed one with the same axle length and the lock ring is no longer an issue. Are there pics of your build on here?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:18 pm

Been out to the shed, I found that the cup had tightened enough that the lockring wouldnt go on. REadjusted and tightened and it appears OK again (exrta tight this time). Re-tensioned the chain too.

Image.

There is another pic in Post your fixie. This is a temporary frame, waiting for a respray on one slightly larger that I also need forks for. The BB is otherwise fine and came off the frame in waiting.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:00 pm

Today marks the seventh consecutive day that I have chosen to ride freewheelfree.

I have discovered the zone has more than one level, yesterdays ride was a revelation. Two hours and seventeen minutes of the day passed in a blur of endorphins and sweat. Reservoir Rd slipped away before I realised how much it hurts. The run to, around and from Diggers felt like a trip to the milkbar and even that hill out back of Menzies Drive that always beats me was looking pretty bloody tired by the time I ground to a halt-60m higher than before. The light has been seen and its warmth basked in. :mrgreen:
London Boy 29/12/2011

PeteV

Postby PeteV » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:40 am

Last weekend I flipped the wheel and gave fixed riding another go. I have a 5km flat commute to work and there is little traffic given I work the graveyard shift. The weather here (until the last two days) has been perfect except for the nagging headwind I seem to cop no matter what direction I am travelling. With a little caution I made the journey to work unscathed. My gearing seems easier even tho I am running one less tooth on the back sprocket and I must've confused the hell out of the colleagues when I was beeming from ear to ear, telling them how I wasn't using the freewheel anymore. After a couple of days I was going to blame the new set up on my lethargy and aching body but turns out a lurking virus has gotten the better of my immune system. I'm giving it another week with both brakes on the bike for my own peace of mind, then the rear one is coming off. The front will likely stay forever but hey, that's just me. I'm running a comfortable 70GI which allows me to spin at a cadence of 90rpm the whole way to work and home again comfortably, again, that's personal taste. I'm loving it!

HLC

Postby HLC » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:46 pm

I cut the quick link out of all my chains. Including my roadie.

They always ALWAYS Fail.

But i ride brakeless, and 80gi, so my chain is probably under a little more duress than most.

You should also ALWAYS ride with foot retention. Riding without is just stupid.

Fixed is far easier to ride than a freewheel, and it'll sort your pedalling technique out if you are a pedal masher. Its all about suplesse.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:52 pm

PeteV wrote:Last weekend I flipped the wheel and gave fixed riding another go. I was beeming from ear to ear,. The front will likely stay forever but hey, that's just me. I'm loving it!
Winning!

I just purchased a new OTR Fixed gear today for general stuff. Needs a few tweaks and personal parts swapped , but the front brake will remain for commuting duties. Pics to come sometime.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:13 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
PeteV wrote:Last weekend I flipped the wheel and gave fixed riding another go. I was beeming from ear to ear,. The front will likely stay forever but hey, that's just me. I'm loving it!
Winning!
Plus LOTS!!!
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:01 am

Have ordered clip less pedals and BB, the locking came off again, replaced the quick link and ready to have another go. Nt sure if I'll commute on it next week, probably wait for the BB to arrive.

I went for ride (cruise) with some others and swapped bikes for a little while, it's really weird swapping from fixed to free on the same ride, even more so because I switched to an MTB with really wide bars. Riding only one style on a ride seems much easier to adapt to.

PeteV

Postby PeteV » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Bit the bullet early and removed the rear brake, I guess it's kind of redundant anyway and was only there for my peace of mind

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:26 pm

I did almost 70kms fixed today as my comeback to fixed riding. I was loving it until my cheap chain broke about 100 metres from home.

Time to invest in a new chain plus a longer rear axle so I can run a chain tug.

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:58 pm

There is something about riding fixed that just brings me back to my childhood and always brings a smile to my face.

I take my fixie along to our regular Wednesday ride usually full of carbon bikes ( we need more numbers) in Brisbane. Every time I jump on it I just feel like a "big kid" last ride a call came out from the bunch about something on the road..... It was a Maccas drink cup sitting upright right in our path....... As everyone dodged it (which is the logical thing to do) I focused in just as I did as a teenager and smashed it!!!!!!!!! It was full and almost covered the entire pack in coke!!!..... Classic!!!

Before I get any negative comments..... It really was Stupid......... But it was also FUN!!!!!!

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:27 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Today marks the seventh consecutive day that I have chosen to ride freewheelfree.

I have discovered the zone has more than one level, yesterdays ride was a revelation. Two hours and seventeen minutes of the day passed in a blur of endorphins and sweat. Reservoir Rd slipped away before I realised how much it hurts. The run to, around and from Diggers felt like a trip to the milkbar and even that hill out back of Menzies Drive that always beats me was looking pretty bloody tired by the time I ground to a halt-60m higher than before. The light has been seen and its warmth basked in. :mrgreen:
I take it this is on the bike you're testing :wink: . Are you going to keep it or get on with the build from way back when, now you have inspiration in your corner?

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:45 pm

got my carl evans track frame from a fellow user on the forum and built it for a commuter with a drilled fork. Fantastic bike to ride. Love it to death. I thought about riding gears to work but its just so fun to ride fixed.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:53 pm

vaeske wrote:got my carl evans track frame from a fellow user on the forum and built it for a commuter with a drilled fork. Fantastic bike to ride. Love it to death. I thought about riding gears to work but its just so fun to ride fixed.
pics somewhere??

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:18 pm

I'll get some tomorrow near the river/park. Should be a nice day :)