Garmin Edge 500 as HRM only

simonn

Garmin Edge 500 as HRM only

Postby simonn » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Anyone used one as just an HRM when at the gym? Or even when running, treddie or outdoor?

Baalzamon

Re: Garmin Edge 500 as HRM only

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:55 pm

Used 705 when I was sleeping to record HR so shouldn't be a problem. Just as long as you don't forget it I don't see a problem, would be an expensive device to lose.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:25 am

Considering the battery lasts up to 18 hours and the unit's size and weight I'd go for just a dedicated HRM watch and strap to cut down the weight, price and battery deficiency. You don't get maps on the 500, only the GPS and training functions and you'd have to pay extra to get the HRM function (the strap). And people I ride with park their Garmins in plastic bags at any sign of rain. If you want all the bells and whistles but maybe not use them then that's a lot of brass to lug around.

You can get a HRM watch for about $50, look for Ciclosport, Polar, Timex and Sigma. Plenty out there.

neild

Postby neild » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:19 am

Yes it can. I've used mine like that plenty of times. If you're outside I find you need to let it get a fix before you start running otherwise I find it won't lock onto satellites.

Outside I just leave it as is and inside I turn off the GPS when running on a treadmill. The only problem I have is that i haven't found a way of modifying the treadmill upload that has my heart rate data to inlcude a distance.

Basically as long as you have HR strap on and unit is turned on (doesn't have to be recording) it will show your HR.

cheers.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie