How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

InTheWoods

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:25 am

jasonc wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Had a passenger for the first 8 km of my commute - he was stuck to my back wheel & no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't shake him - worst of all he is only 18 months old :D

Dropping him off for baby sitting only added 500 m to my commute, but the extra weight sure slowed me down
:lol:

good weight training
I don't mind the weight when doing that. Its when you get a bad headwind and you realise the 2nd seat is like having a huge sail on the bike that you really end up doing some resistance training... :)

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:37 am

InTheWoods wrote:
jasonc wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Had a passenger for the first 8 km of my commute - he was stuck to my back wheel & no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't shake him - worst of all he is only 18 months old :D

Dropping him off for baby sitting only added 500 m to my commute, but the extra weight sure slowed me down
:lol:

good weight training
I don't mind the weight when doing that. Its when you get a bad headwind and you realise the 2nd seat is like having a huge sail on the bike that you really end up doing some resistance training... :)
well better to have the resistance than realise somewhere along the ride that you have shaken that "passenger" off the rear wheel...imagine the poo you would be in then by the missus hahaha

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:44 pm

Tough one for me. Crook today.. missed my early ride. Commuted to work but should have stayed home. :(

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:50 pm

jasonc wrote: you guys are just bludging knowing it's going to be a couple of weeks before I'm at full strength again
:mrgreen: - on a serious note, what did the doctor diagnose your knee issue as?
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:05 pm

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote: you guys are just bludging knowing it's going to be a couple of weeks before I'm at full strength again
physio said quads and hammies are all locked up. Last night I asked "can I rode tomorrow" response "no"
"CAn i ride friday" response "no"
he then said "saturday should be ok"
"so i'll be right to ride to work monday?" response "Yes"
have to ice my left knee a couple of times a day and have an exercise to do.

let me ride dag nam it.
Comedian wrote:Tough one for me. Crook today.. missed my early ride. Commuted to work but should have stayed home. :(
want to swap?

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:32 pm

jasonc wrote: physio said quads and hammies are all locked up. Last night I asked "can I rode tomorrow" response "no"

let me ride dag nam it.
On a further serious note...you should really give the knee/body a decent break...we dont bounce back as quickly as we get older...think riding sat or monday, even next week would be way to early

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:15 pm

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote: physio said quads and hammies are all locked up. Last night I asked "can I rode tomorrow" response "no"

let me ride dag nam it.
On a further serious note...you should really give the knee/body a decent break...we dont bounce back as quickly as we get older...think riding sat or monday, even next week would be way to early
I'm not old. just pushed a bit harder than I should have with muscles that were already saying "NO". I'll be going on what the physio says.

cheers for the thoughts.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Thanks for the laughs jasonc, gretaboy & InTheWoods - the little boy followed me home too, fell asleep in the trailer so I got to do an extra 10 km on the way home before he woke up.

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Uneventful early commute home (4.30) till a run in with a taxi driver at cnr Butterfield and Fagan Rds Herston when a taxi who took issue with my lane claiming tried to pass on the left and then right hook into Butterfield, narrowly missing my front wheel. Chased him up the road cursing as i went, but gave up.

To the commute group behind me, apologies for the language.......
chop wood

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:20 am

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:
let me ride dag nam it.
Almost Saturday! :D Hope you knee is back in order.

To my rides..
Melbourne was pleasant yesterday afternoon, sunny, but not too warm. There's a bumpy detour via the grasslands on the Darebin Creek Trail near La Trobe Uni where the path is being replaced.
Cool again this morning. 3km into my ride, I encountered another fool in a smokebox who continued rolling into the ped/cycle crossing on Plenty Road, almost completely blocking it as I was rolling past on the green ped/bicycle light. There seems to be a spate of bad driving (more than usual anyways) in my area.
Having had enough of traffic, I did part of the Darebin Creek Trail into the CBD. Nice enough, but slower than my normal route as the trail is unlit, and despite a decent light on the bike, it's probably unwise to hammer along in the dark....
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:29 am

TailWind wrote:Almost Saturday! :D Hope you knee is back in order.
find out tonight....

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:11 am

Jason...sounds like your getting a bit grumpy not riding hahahaha....I know I do .... all's good mate, you will be back soon, I am hoping to catch you again on Bike Journal..my time off set me back a bit

On my ride home yesterday I had some tool, by the looks of his dual cab ute a painter by trade, give me a beep. He was wanting to turn left off the New England Highway. Only issue with this is that I was on the shoulder, at this point it is quite wide, and the actual designated lane to turn left was 50 metres in front of me. So I wasnt sure if he was beeping to simply let me know he was there or whether he was having a go at me for impeding him. I just shook my head in the end.

This morning I got my first flat in a very long time, I was only 3 k from home at the time. Had rain the night before and roads were wet. Given I only had two CO2 canisters and two tubes on me...and 42 odd k's to go I seriously thought about turning home and getting the car. Was a bit rusty on the tyre changing technique but eventually got it done and risked it all and rode on. Had been planning to take it easy this morning but due to the flat had to push it a bit.

Then the garmin recorded the ride but now doesnt want to upload it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:37 am

gretaboy wrote:Jason...sounds like your getting a bit grumpy not riding hahahaha....I know I do .... all's good mate, you will be back soon, I am hoping to catch you again on Bike Journal..my time off set me back a bit
yes, grumpy. so you aiming for 12k too?
gretaboy wrote:This morning I got my first flat in a very long time, I was only 3 k from home at the time. Had rain the night before and roads were wet. Given I only had two CO2 canisters and two tubes on me...and 42 odd k's to go I seriously thought about turning home and getting the car. Was a bit rusty on the tyre changing technique but eventually got it done and risked it all and rode on. Had been planning to take it easy this morning but due to the flat had to push it a bit.
that your first flat with the marathon plus tyres? how many kms?

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:44 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:Jason...sounds like your getting a bit grumpy not riding hahahaha....I know I do .... all's good mate, you will be back soon, I am hoping to catch you again on Bike Journal..my time off set me back a bit
yes, grumpy. so you aiming for 12k too?
mate, I am looking at achieving 10k in commuting with Mondays morning ride...will be rapt with that, never thought I would do 10k in a year let alone just commuting.

I have got 10528 in total k's so far so I reckon 12-13 will be easily achieved...am thinking Dec may be a big month if all goes well

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:48 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:This morning I got my first flat in a very long time, I was only 3 k from home at the time. Had rain the night before and roads were wet. Given I only had two CO2 canisters and two tubes on me...and 42 odd k's to go I seriously thought about turning home and getting the car. Was a bit rusty on the tyre changing technique but eventually got it done and risked it all and rode on. Had been planning to take it easy this morning but due to the flat had to push it a bit.
that your first flat with the marathon plus tyres? how many kms?

actually my second or third...got a huge hole in my front tyre, used to be back tyre until the hole, from a glass shard...had some others but they were due to tyre liners so dont count them...have done roughly 4109 k's on them. They have held up well and will get them again

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:23 pm

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote: that your first flat with the marathon plus tyres? how many kms?
actually my second or third...got a huge hole in my front tyre, used to be back tyre until the hole, from a glass shard...had some others but they were due to tyre liners so dont count them...have done roughly 4109 k's on them. They have held up well and will get them again
am up to 4300 on mine. they are doing well. rear tyre is very squared but still has rubber. I reckon i'll get 5kms out of the rear and probably 15k out of the front. awesome km/$ value

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:17 pm

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote: that your first flat with the marathon plus tyres? how many kms?
am up to 4300 on mine. they are doing well. rear tyre is very squared but still has rubber. I reckon i'll get 5kms out of the rear and probably 15k out of the front. awesome km/$ value
Yep, pretty much my experience with them as well. The difference though is that 15k is about 3 years commuting for me, not the 12 months you 2 guys get done.

The point for me is not so much the $ but not having to stop & f about on my commute fixing a flat.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:23 pm

find_bruce wrote: Yep, pretty much my experience with them as well. The difference though is that 15k is about 3 years commuting for me, not the 12 months you 2 guys get done.

The point for me is not so much the $ but not having to stop & f about on my commute fixing a flat.
was covered in grease as a result of this morning...even had the bike fall over onto me whilst dealing with the rim/tyre as a result of a semi flying past..

I was getting really frustrated earlier this year due to all the flats I was getting, even thinking of giving up on the commuting...but going to these tyres has really brought back the enjoyment. I am ok with getting a flat now and then, not 3 in one ride

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:24 pm

find_bruce wrote:Yep, pretty much my experience with them as well. The difference though is that 15k is about 3 years commuting for me, not the 12 months you 2 guys get done.
thanks Bruce - this made me smile :mrgreen:
my wife doesn't think it's wonderful, trust me

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:07 pm

physio update: no riding. back there next Wednesday to probably be told I still can't ride. I don't do things by halves...
this will be the longest break off the bike I've had since last year some time.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:55 pm

jasonc wrote:physio update: no riding. back there next Wednesday to probably be told I still can't ride. I don't do things by halves...
That's not good ....what what the cause of it?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:07 pm

Le Velo wrote:
jasonc wrote:physio update: no riding. back there next Wednesday to probably be told I still can't ride. I don't do things by halves...
That's not good ....what what the cause of it?
the number on the green line below

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:27 am

That sucks, sorry to hear.
On the other hand, you're having a break from the mayhem happening on the roads at the moment.

Riding home yesterday through a rather large traffic circle in Mill Park, no traffic except one car approaching the circle from the 9 o'clock exit from my perspective. I'm already in the circle going straight through , crossing the 9 o'clock exit/entrance, the car keeps on coming. I look at the driver - she's fiddling with something on the passenger seat, not looking to her right for traffic. Nearly cleaned me up. I yell loudly, she finally sees me and floors it through the circle.
Not sure why drivers are trying to hasten my extinction at the moment.

After a year of only a few mild incidents, the last few weeks have felt like a fight for survival.

Are other Melbourne riders out there noticing a serious decline in driving ability in the last few weeks?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:06 am

TailWind wrote:
That sucks, sorry to hear.
On the other hand, you're having a break from the mayhem happening on the roads at the moment.

Riding home yesterday through a rather large traffic circle in Mill Park, no traffic except one car approaching the circle from the 9 o'clock exit from my perspective. I'm already in the circle going straight through , crossing the 9 o'clock exit/entrance, the car keeps on coming. I look at the driver - she's fiddling with something on the passenger seat, not looking to her right for traffic. Nearly cleaned me up. I yell loudly, she finally sees me and floors it through the circle.
Not sure why drivers are trying to hasten my extinction at the moment.

After a year of only a few mild incidents, the last few weeks have felt like a fight for survival.

Are other Melbourne riders out there noticing a serious decline in driving ability in the last few weeks?
maybe the warmer weather is bringing them out of hybernation. more logically, sun is up earlier so people are more likely to start work earlier and therefore finish work earlier. resulting in me seeing them more often... (maybe the same for you)

have checked my google spreadsheets and my biggest break this year has been 9 days. I think I'm going to beat that. Last time I beat that was november last year - 11 days. that's looking beat able too at the moment...

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:00 am

Melbourne is windy this morning. Really felt it once I entered the CBD - serious buffeting crosswinds when riding through intersections.
Good ride otherwise.
Reached my target commuting mileage for the year with this morning's ride - 12000km - and there are still 6 weeks or so of commuting left this year :D .