Anyone tried the Spaceship/red-planet light set?

anonymousmoose

Anyone tried the Spaceship/red-planet light set?

Postby anonymousmoose » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:03 am

I bought some cheap $20 lights from the bike store... not happy with the rear light and not overly impressed with the front.

I did some wiggling and found this:
http://www.this link is broken/pdw-spaceship-f ... light-set/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks pretty cheap and seems to have good reviews... what do you think?

I cant seem to find any reviews on them, but the description seems promising. Only thing I'm worried about is that I end up with another cheap set that I have trouble with.

jasonc

Re: Anyone tried the Spaceship/red-planet light set?

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:18 pm

40 looks, no posts. I'll ask the question. Do you want to them to see or be seen?

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:57 pm

jasonc wrote:Do you want to them to see or be seen?
Sorry? :?

Sir Stinkalot

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:31 pm

Are you looking for a set of lights to illuminate your path so you can ride in the dark, or are you looking for a set of lights so others can see you in the dark?

If you are generally riding around areas that are well lit with streetlights you only really need lights of a sufficient strength so people can see you.
If you are riding in at night with no street lighting then you will need much stronger lights that will illuminate where you are going (and help others see you).

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:52 pm

I reckon this is better value—should be fine for general 'to be seen' use, though I'd add a second rear light for redundancy: Smart Lunar 10 Lux Front and 1/2 Watt Rear Light Set

I have a few of the 1/2W rear light (amongst others) and a 1W version of the front light—not sure how that compares to the '10 lux' version here.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:54 pm

FWIW, I run with something like this on the front of my bike, and one of these on the back.

The headlight is fantastic value for the price - I didn't want to spend too much as I don't ride at night a whole lot. The Cygolite on the back is just plain brilliant. I am pretty sure I can be seen from space when I have that bad boy turned on.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:11 pm

Sir Stinkalot wrote:Are you looking for a set of lights to illuminate your path so you can ride in the dark, or are you looking for a set of lights so others can see you in the dark?

If you are generally riding around areas that are well lit with streetlights you only really need lights of a sufficient strength so people can see you.
If you are riding in at night with no street lighting then you will need much stronger lights that will illuminate where you are going (and help others see you).
+1

i run a dealextreme PP7 as my front light (alleges 900 lumens) and a radbot 1000 as my main rear with a dealextreme 1/2w light for backup

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:54 pm

m@ wrote:I reckon this is better value—should be fine for general 'to be seen' use, though I'd add a second rear light for redundancy: Smart Lunar 10 Lux Front and 1/2 Watt Rear Light Set
Good idea, I'd keep the 'crappy light' I have a a backup.

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:47 pm

I decided I will buy decent light set... and keep the current ones as backups. What are some good ones to be seen and also see in the dark that have USB? I'll compare it to the non USB charging ones.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Not sure about front USB lights but a reasonably priced rear one is a Cygolite HotShot http://www.pushys.com.au/cygolite-hotsh ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:33 am

m@ wrote:I reckon this is better value—should be fine for general 'to be seen' use, though I'd add a second rear light for redundancy: Smart Lunar 10 Lux Front and 1/2 Watt Rear Light Set

I have a few of the 1/2W rear light (amongst others) and a 1W version of the front light—not sure how that compares to the '10 lux' version here.
Currently the Smart Lunar 35 is almost as cheap than the 10 set.

http://www.this link is broken/smart-lunar-35- ... light-set/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But with the rear light, what is the mounting clip like? The main grip I have with my current rear light is the bracket has broken TWICE. I got a new one the first time but I cant be bothered going back now. I filed wont the screw hole and fitted it through my seat bracket to attach :wink: . It holder BETTER than knew but I think it points a bit more down rather than up... so I still want to add a 2nd light and will buy this SMART maybe if someone can tell me the bracket is any good.

I'm of course talking about this bracket:

Byke

Postby Byke » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:21 am

A great USB rechargeable front light is the Lezyne Super Drive XL.

It's more than bright enough to light up a pitch black road, and small and light enough that you'll always have it with you (I used to have a separate light and battery set, but it stayed on the shelf too often). The other lights on that page are also USB rechargeable, just not as bright (but even the cheapest will get you seen).

The road.cc 2012 bike light comparison is a fantastic resource for visually comparing the output of about 40 different front lights (including some of the Lezynes). Don't buy anything till you've had a look at that.

Byke

Postby Byke » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:25 am

anonymousmoose wrote:
But with the rear light, what is the mounting clip like? The main grip I have with my current rear light is the bracket has broken TWICE. I got a new one the first time but I cant be bothered going back now. I filed wont the screw hole and fitted it through my seat bracket to attach :wink: . It holder BETTER than knew but I think it points a bit more down rather than up... so I still want to add a 2nd light and will buy this SMART maybe if someone can tell me the bracket is any good.

I've owned or fitted about 10 Smart rear lights and never had any problem with the bracket. Never broken one. Never had one wriggle loose and point at the ground. Even my girlfriend's light still points exactly where I put it (whereas the straps on her identical helmet to mine seem to work loose within days of me readjusting them).

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:29 pm

Byke wrote:
anonymousmoose wrote:

I've owned or fitted about 10 Smart rear lights and never had any problem with the bracket. Never broken one. Never had one wriggle loose and point at the ground. Even my girlfriend's light still points exactly where I put it (whereas the straps on her identical helmet to mine seem to work loose within days of me readjusting them).
+1
Some of the $5 ripoffs aren't the best, but the genuine Smart branded mounts are solid. I have a couple from circa-1995 that are still going strong...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe