Ordering parts seprately worth $1ooo+ = customs duty?

jaseyjase

Ordering parts seprately worth $1ooo+ = customs duty?

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Just wanted to know if anyone has been stung by customs when ordering seperate parts that total over $1000?

Ive just orderd some wheels and want to order a groupset but wondering if i should wait or get my neighbour to order them for me instead?

or do customs calculate on 'individual' orders?...ie if the packages are seperated etc.

JustJames

Re: Ordering parts seprately worth $1ooo+ = customs duty?

Postby JustJames » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:54 pm

Read in here:

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 2&start=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...but be warned, it's one of those threads that sucks the life from your soul.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:01 pm

Bought 2 packages from Ribble recently. First was worth about $900 the second about $750. Made the orders within a week of each other. They were processed and shipped by Ribble the same day. Arrived with me in 2 packages on the same day to the same location with the same name on the receipt. Have not been sent any customs notes or whatever. That was about 3-4 months ago now.

Did a bit of reading prior to making the purchases and couldn't find anything definitive in regards to my circumstance of making multiple purchases with individual values less than $1000.

I reckon you should be right.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:39 am

Technically customs can charge GST and duty for multiple different deliveries from the same sender to you, even delivered days apart - they are added up with total value plus shipping costs to calculate taxes and duty (read up on the exact calculations). A lot of people in these forums report that you may or may not be targeted, some with single packages above $1000. Luck of the draw.
Cycling is in my BNA

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Last time I ordered in excess of 1k, almost 2k in 2 seperate orders from bike24.
I got one sent to work in my name, got the other sent home in a different name
not a problem :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:04 am

Short answer:

1 - can you? Yes

2 - will you? Not necessarily. Only one way to find out.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

boss

Postby boss » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:39 am

Never been stung with separated orders over $1k. Have been stung when ordering one shipment in excess of $1k.

I think most on the forum will echo similar sentiments, with the odd lucky guy getting away with one shipment over $1k not being charged duty every now and then.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:57 am

cheers boys, kind of thought that was the go.

i ended up sending the group to the missus work address anyway, now she also has her own ribble/wiggle/c r c/merlin/pbk/evans account :mrgreen:

hahah