The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

ni78ck

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby ni78ck » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:14 pm

2 x 15 minute efforts in c/park this morning in a group of 4.
1st effort 42.4km/h average speed
2nd effort i blew up after 9 minutes :( :oops:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

skull

Postby skull » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:29 pm

42.4km/h...

What is the posted speed limit in c park again?

Best you head down to the local pods and get them to issue you a TIN :grin:

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:34 pm

i guess your assuming i was at Centennial Park? no, c/park :wink:
Cervelo R5

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:50 pm

Training for the bike leg of Canberra Half Ironman

73 Km Ride Yesterday.

66.4 km at TT Pace

1st Split 21.66 km (AT) Z3 - 32.3 km/hr
2nd Split 21.66 km (AT) Z4 - 33.6 km/hr
3rd Split 23.05 km (AT) Z5 - 35.1 km/hr

Undulated course. I'm using a heart rate monitor. Only had the tri-bars on for a week so still getting used to them.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:01 pm

I hate to see the sun shinning at this time of year and not make use of it :oops: ... but I need a day off I think.
Last Sat was the aborted CX race... funny how the first couple of laps of a CX race "à bloc" can still leave you feeling it the next day.
Sunday was easy... Lundi, Mardi, Mercredi were all about 60 kms with a lot of Sweet spot riding, plus 3 x 5 minutes low end VO2 on Monday.
Hope the sun is still shining tomorrow and Saturday ( off to check the weather now... YES, looking pretty good and warming up a little as well :D ).

As much as I want to do well at cyclocross this winter I don't want to stuff myself seeing that my main goals are not until May / June next year... my off season is the tourist paced riding I do with clients in July :P .

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Just home from Thu night crit training. met a mate early at 3pm....and just noted we covered 100km. not bad for hard paceline training. at most, there was 16 in the pack rolling around at 40+, with efforts over 45.....all with a pretty stiff wind.

We should have split into two groups and did a team pursuit.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:18 am

rain here in Sydney, but i still managed a 109km ride at a solid pace against the elements :)
Cervelo R5

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Good solo session yesterday with 70km done on a rolling course.
Lots of PB (And 3 KOM along the way) Ended with an average of 33.9kph, 223W, av HR of 164 and cadence of 93rpm
Fitness is improving ..... However this morning was another story .... Legs were burning .... On the flat it was ok to push up to the low 40s then after that nothing, every rise and uphill was hurting like hell !
Tomorrow will be a very easy recovery spin for me ad get the legs ready for the week-end's crit

boss

Postby boss » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Awesome rides today. Didn't ride on the weekend (hungover Sunday) so I was really fresh, last time I went on a training ride was last Thursday.

This morning - took 20 seconds off a tough climb (8km (AT) 4.8%, with several sections over 10%) with my backpack on. Backpack weighs in somewhere between 3-5kg and my previous best time was no backpack. Apparently under 30 mins is respectable for this climb, and I'm sitting at 30:24 - hope to break the 30 min mark on the weekend.

At lunchtime - took 21 seconds off a climb-sprint that I enjoy (4km (AT) 2.6%) and just missed out on top 10 bragging rights. 11/227. Also took 25 seconds off a fast, steep climb that I do (800m (AT) 6.9% - it's 375m-ish (AT) 10%, 50m-ish flat, then 375m-ish (AT) 12%).

Super stoked on my times, couldn't believe the difference a few days rest made. Tuesday is usually my 'slow grind' day!

And also very stoked on how far I've come in the last month of owning a roadie :)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Struggling to get motivated at the moment!...even with cyclocross season starting :oops: . Maybe it is all this looking after kids school holidays stuff ( plus my wife is away a lot in nice exotic places and I am here missing having an exciting job :| ).
To top it all off sitting down at the dinner last night I had an enormous cramp in my inside thigh, still sore this morning :oops: I very rarely cramp!.
Oh yeah, training... still getting out a fair bit but only ever in the 50-70 km range.. keeping it hard ( lots of tempo and sweet spot ) but not hard enough to be real fun... KOM chasing has to go on hold in Winter ( winter bike, extra kilos on me and bike, having to wear too many clothes blah blah blah ).
Ok moan over :D .
Hopefully two races this weekend can pull me out of my slump!!!.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:55 pm

Oh my heart bleeds for you TLL! :lol:

Get out and stop making bloody excuses and it's about time we saw some more photos. :twisted:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:53 pm

:P I know I know! ... snuck out today for 50ks in the sun, did a couple of hard bursts but want to keep something in the tank. Looking forward to the weekend. Never backed up two cyclocross races in one weekend before... should be interesting :| ... forecasting 50mm of rain tomorrow morning :D ... going to get dirty!.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:58 pm

i think my jet lag has caught up to me - arrived from bali on friday morning, rode to work - felt like a zombie. rode on sat morning - easy ride, then smashed a ride out on sunday. did 45 and 60km commutes on mon and tuesday and almost fell asleep on the way home last night (Tue). i was hoping to do a crit tonight at Hawthorn but i'm unsure it's worth the trouble.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:42 pm

Well two violent 1 hour cyclo cross races in one weekend is too much for me. The first one I felt good considering how much I suffered. The 2nd I exploded with 15 minutes to go.
Due in part to chasing back probably too hard after a first lap mechanical and also due to the amount of steep running.
So won't be trying that again!. This week I have managed a short roll out and about 1.5 hours on the rollers. Not feeling 100% today so today will be another light day. If I am going to race again on Saturday, Friday will be a light one as well.
Could say I am going to treat it as a recovery week but it will be my 3rd week with under 150kms since start of October :oops: .
At least the intensity is still there :lol: .

On a slightly more worrying note... ran home from my kids rugby training last night... raced him for about 150-200 meters and payed the price later that night!... yes I can cycle all day long but not much else. Winter might be a good time for some cross ( not cyclocross! ) training :shock: .

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:44 am

In the end the sun came out ( rare occurrence at this time of the year ) and I managed a good hard endurance paced 70k ride also hitting ( not very strongly!!! ) an un-strava-ed Cat 4 climb in the Beaujolais... 1 km averaging 12% :D . There were some beautiful unclimbed ( by me ) peaks sitting just out of my limited time range ... the Beaujolais while not very high ( maximum Cat 2 climbs up to about 7-800 m ) is really beautiful for riding in winter as it is rarely snowed in. Came home smiling :D .

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:15 pm

Had a crap week of training, couldn't ride yesterday because I had to cover the drop offs and picking my daughter up from school and getting her to her dance class. CTL hovering in the low 90's, just like my weight.

I'm directing a race on Sunday so no riding for that day. I am, however, picking up a mate tomorrow and (fingers cross that the road is dry) we are going to ride to exhaustion on Corin Road. I did just over 2000m of climbing in 88km last time, goal this time is to get an additional loop between Corin dam and the top of the hill before seeing how far back up the hill we can make it.

The ultimate goal is to be able to do three laps - 3000km of climbing and 122km of riding. We are hoping that everything else will seem easy after that.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:09 pm

My team had strong training sessions Tue and Thu night. Lots of 40-50kph paceline work, with attacks and chases.
My recovery from 45+ has improved significantly in the last 2 months.

And today in racing I achieved a new top unassisted speed, 55.
I didn't place but two mates did due to tactics discussed elsewhere.
I did a lot of successive attacks in mid to high 40s to unmask who was prepared to chase, and to wear down the sprinters.
Did one straight after the prime, let that get reeled in, then repeated, then a third when I hammered it. A team mate who got on my tail was shouting to keep going as we had a 30 metre break. But I didn't feel as strong as at training, so eased off, and he didn't come through.
In retrospect, I lament I didn't hammer it. It was early enough to recover.
Nothing ventured nothing gained.

The av speed was the highest I've recorded, and I got a few accolades for being the most aggressive rider. Roll on high intensity training.

Being a bit older, I have to find a way to be as strong at 7am when racing as 5pm when training.

fuji shogun

Postby fuji shogun » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:01 pm

First ride in 3 weeks

Went out this arvo with 2 hours to "have to be home by time,"
After 1 km got to the lights at the bottom of the hill thought i unclipped approaching the red light, turns out i was wrong. Just recovered and got my leg out as my fingers touched the ground, didnt turn around to look at the cars behind me, just took a casual drink from the bottle. the lid wasnt on right so the drink sprayed across my face a bit too. top start.
after about 9 km, i got to M7 dean park, hitting the left bend in the drops the back end steps out on the tacky pavement, recovered without skin loss but on the rise things didnt feel right so i stopped for a check to find about half pressure in the rear and a bit of a cut tyre.
during the retube a colony of ants felt my front wheel was a good place to live, i left them to re assess their idea and got going.

After 10km Mr brown snake was laying exactly in the middle of the path, i wasnt feeling lucky choosing which was the blunt end to pass by but guessed correctly as he did his best cobra impression as i passed.

the ride got cut short to 36km and back home into some stiff headwinds.

Good to be back out there.
the name of the game is to overtake a more expensive bike than yours.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:54 am

twizzle wrote:I'm directing a race on Sunday so no riding for that day. I am, however, picking up a mate tomorrow and (fingers cross that the road is dry) we are going to ride to exhaustion on Corin Road. I did just over 2000m of climbing in 88km last time, goal this time is to get an additional loop between Corin dam and the top of the hill before seeing how far back up the hill we can make it.
Failed - got the three laps to the dam wall in, but needed an addtional hour on the leave pass. My lower back is killing me now - I've started stretching again, the hamstrings/glutes on the right are significantly tighter than on the left.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:46 pm

winstonw wrote:
I didn't place but two mates did due to tactics discussed elsewhere.
That would be the same tactics employed by your team mates who squeezed out my 46yo, 48kg wife coming into the final straight to ensure the first female home wasn't her. Funniest thing of all is that my Wife's training is 90% focused on endurance MTB racing & only does the occasional crit for a bit of fun/variation. She had a good chuckle telling me about the race while we were climbing the Goat Track in a thunder storm on Sunday's MTB training ride.

I can't wait until you & your team mates jump up into C1 or B grade. We're going to have a really good time.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:55 pm

Being a bit older, I have to find a way to be as strong at 7am when racing as 5pm when training.[/quote]

Try get one training session in the morning, it will help :wink:
Cervelo R5

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:57 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:I can't wait until you & your team mates jump up into C1 or B grade. We're going to have a really good time.
My 50 something yo team mates are already in your grade/s Zep. I'll let them know you want a good time.
I also had my 50 something a$$ squeezed and boxed by non team mates in the sprint. They looked like 30 or 40 something B graders.

And coincidentally, my riding is 90% endurance training for the Alpine Classic Extreme in a few months. Would you recommend wheelsucking in a race for 44 minutes as good training for that?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Where's that damn popcorn icon on tapatalk :)

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:00 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Where's that damn popcorn icon on tapatalk :)
:) admittedly, that female team mate scares me too (demeanor not riding). she's only come to training once.
I wouldn't know how careless she races, because she generally hangs out down the back until the sprint.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:40 am

winstonw wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:I can't wait until you & your team mates jump up into C1 or B grade. We're going to have a really good time.
My 50 something yo team mates are already in your grade/s Zep. I'll let them know you want a good time.
I also had my 50 something a$$ squeezed and boxed by non team mates in the sprint. They looked like 30 or 40 something B graders.

And coincidentally, my riding is 90% endurance training for the Alpine Classic Extreme in a few months. Would you recommend wheelsucking in a race for 44 minutes as good training for that?
And this, boys and girls, is how to make yourself a target for flicking. :roll: