Transperth policy - folding bicycles

Crankitup

Transperth policy - folding bicycles

Postby Crankitup » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:44 am

Passengers with fold up bicycles with small wheels that are belt driven are permitted to travel on Transperth buses at any time as long as the bicycles are contained within a carry bag exceeding no more than 86cm long x 68cm high x 36cm wide. Fold up bicycles must be kept out of the aisle.
Seems they don't want folders at all as I think the above criteria is nigh on impossible to meet. The only folder I can find for sale in Australia that has belt drive is the Strida, but it doesn't fold down into the dimensions they want. There are a few chain driven ones that do though. Why Transperth wants them to be belt driven when the policy states they have to be in a carry bag confounds me.
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

just4tehhalibut

Re: Transperth policy - folding bicycles

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:30 am

The dimensions suit a 16" wheeled bike and if it's in a covered up in a bag I've only ever been asked if it was a bike, not if it's belt-driven. I used to occasionally commute with my Mezzo folder on the trains and buses, never had a problem except the usual with trying to carry anything let alone a bike in a bag onto a train in peak hour sardine migration. The whole thing with belt drive is other passengers don't get grease stains and not all folder bike bags are completely enclosing of the bike. Mine was. And of course you can get 'folders' that don't fold but split apart to fit into a backpack or duffel bag, takes longer to 'fold' but they'll never know there's a bike. I have an ICE recumbent bike that travels this way. As long as your folder's bag doesn't say 'bike' on the outside in big letters your bike is stealthed.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:08 am

I had noted this at the time or trialling. I was also concerned that my hard earned right to take the uni on buses and trains may be supplanted with unicycles having to be grouped in with them. Fortunately it was not in their minds.

The need to be belt-driven seems, imo, to be too restrictive for a start. If greasy chains are the issue why dictate what sort of drive you can use? Just dictate against the chain. I am sure that someone will have a shaft driven foldup one day - no greasy chain but it would still be disallowed.

And even if it has a chain, if it is in a non-permeable bag so what? Then it is a matter of size only.

But that size is so minimal that, after taking the seat and post off my uni it could still not fit within it without also removing one pedal.

From my observations of the few I see they don't seem to chase too many down if they are in a bag. Though I concede that maybe that is a result of them scaring off prospective riders.

Of course, though not clearly stated on the web page, the restriction is applicable to the concession to take it on board at the so-called peak times. You are just as free as any other cyclist outside of those times. The restrictions apply at all times on buses.

The Public Transport Authority is the body to deal with if anyone wishes to negotiate a change to the policy. I have gone thru the process twice. In my cases it progressed fairly smoothly and quickly each time, taking around three months each.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:22 pm

I should have made it clearer but the part of the policy I quoted from is only dealing with buses. That is what I'm focusing on. If they dictate that the folder has to be in a carry bag why dictate further about the bike having to be belt drive? I've not seen a carry bag specifically designed for a folder that doesn't completely cover the drivetrain at the very least.
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:18 am

Crankitup wrote:I should have made it clearer but the part of the policy I quoted from is only dealing with buses. That is what I'm focusing on. If they dictate that the folder has to be in a carry bag why dictate further about the bike having to be belt drive? I've not seen a carry bag specifically designed for a folder that doesn't completely cover the drivetrain at the very least.
Totally agree.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:29 am

If we're talking about having a folding bike that folds down quick so that you can hop onto the bus or train then you'll find that a lot of the quick fold bikes are sold with either a simple slip over cover, almost like a dust cover but with a drawstring, or a bag that the bike fully fits into. The simple cover is faster and lighter, something to appreciate when you're trying to multimode, but may not give full protection against chain grease. I have one for the Mezzo, you can get them for Dahon, Birdys and other folders. Can only think that that's what this rubbishy rule about belt drive is about.

As i said, only been challenged on a bus, just once, and the driver didn't see a problem nor check if it was belt-driven as it was fully covered up. If you just use the slip over cover maybe you'd be risking too much as these tend to make the frame accessible so that you can reach in to carry the bike by the main frame tube, there's too much bike on view.

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:25 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:...
As i said, only been challenged on a bus, just once, and the driver didn't see a problem nor check if it was belt-driven as it was fully covered up. If you just use the slip over cover maybe you'd be risking too much as these tend to make the frame accessible so that you can reach in to carry the bike by the main frame tube, there's too much bike on view.
Thanks. I wouldn't mind a belt driven folder, just can't find one available in Australia that will fold down inside the Transperth dimensions.

Might then take a chance on this one if it folds down small enough and has a good bag/cover. http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Bike ... ke-20-Inch
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Just to update this thread - I spoke to a very sensible sounding guy in the Transperth policy unit - Jim Kyrnan. He said he would be moving to have the "belt-drive" stipulation removed from their policy. If it's a change that won't require the Minister to sign off on, e.g. a regulation, then it will disappear overnight. Otherwise it will take longer.

Edit: Checked the Transperth website and it has already gone!
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.