DentedHead

Re: victorian road rules - bike lane

Postby DentedHead » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:09 am

Wait,
(2) The rider of a bicycle must not ride past, or overtake, to the
left of a vehicle that is turning left and is giving a left
change of direction signal.

P 3 penalty units.
I thought you could only cop penalty units while driving a motor vehicle? Pretty sure that was clear cut.

Dent.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:20 am

PUs are not demerit points. It's to do with nnumbers. 1 PU is worth about $107 these days.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:53 am

Ah, cool.
Thanks Mulger.

Dent.

swon38

Postby swon38 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Good to see some publicity....

http://www.theage.com.au/executive-styl ... 29dip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Just to further add to the confusion:

Was it a legally signed bike lane or was it a "bike lane" with the bike painted on the road, which afaik isnt legally a bike lane?
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:52 pm

This is an old thread but the issues are still current so here goes...
macca33 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:28 pm

It is definitive - whomever is positioned behind the other must give way in these circumstances.

If the car is in front, then it is entitled to move into the bicycle lane (after Giving Way to the bicycle - and when it is within 50 metres of the intersection), in order to complete a turn and in this case, the cyclist must yield.

I seems that you are implying that the driver must move to the bike lane on his left in order to have this right of way. If so then, going on the equivalent regs in WA, then AFAIU there is no obligation to turn left only from the left most lane if it is a bike lane. Personally I, as do most other drivers, stay out of the lane at traffic lights, so giving the cyclist a chance to take the controlling position while waiting on lights which makes for safer cycling (cleats setc).

Note that In the WA regs a bike lane is not quite just a lane, it is a "special purpose lane".

PARKING IN A BIKE LANE:
As an aside, there is a popular gripe in this forum that it is illegal for cars to park in bike lanes. Not so in WA and, based on the general uniformity of traffic laws around the country, I'd guess the same elsewhere. Indeed, 132 (2) in the WA Road Traffic Code indicates otherwise unless someone can demonstrate that a place not signed as clearway, no parking, etc is treated any differently for a bike lane than for anywhere else.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:33 pm

recently received "winter cycling update" from Vicroads

excellent (in my opinion) video covering vehicles must give way to cyclists in a cycle lane when turning left here's hoping it has also been brought to the attention of drivers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Q5Wft_tWA

pic from:

"turning left for cyclists" is a little confusing as actually covers going straight ahead and of course cyclists must slow down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndCx3Dtipo4

pic from:

also advised:

"Bike riders and sharing the road

A new Code of Conduct for Bicycle Riders has been developed following the implementation of the Minimum Passing Distance law"

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... g-the-road

just the usual interpretation of the road rules in plain language and some more

maybe I'm just getting a bit (even more?) grumpy but this graphic offended...looks more like a left hook than a slow down and let the vehicle turn graphic...could be easily fixed or possibly not as left feedback a week or so ago

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:12 pm

antigee wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:33 pm
recently received "winter cycling update" from Vicroads

excellent (in my opinion) video covering vehicles must give way to cyclists in a cycle lane when turning left here's hoping it has also been brought to the attention of drivers

Just to caution on taking these presentations as a reflection of the law legislation. They can be at variance while also being a far better resource than a copy of the road code..

The video is titled "Tips for drivers. Tips. And it makes perfect sense to drive that way. Just as it makes perfect sense when approaching a green light in a car and a pedestrian is walking across your intended passage to "Look out for pedestrians and give way".

In the same way as for my green lights example, the video does not imply that the law says that cyclists have right of way over the motorist. It may be the case or it may not be.

If I was to make an equivalent video targeted to cyclists, in the same situation it would show them giving way with a caption "Look out for left turning cars and give way."

For the record I think the presentation is good. All road users should behave to enhance safety regardless of the legal niceties.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle