First bike rides first Impressions - newbie's intro

anonymousmoose

First bike rides first Impressions - newbie's intro

Postby anonymousmoose » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:04 am

I thought I'd post a proper intro :D

This is my first bike in about a decade. I needed to get fit, in my 30s, and I enjoy driving, so riding was the natural fun way to do it.

I bought my hybrid 24-speed from a local bike hire shop (new) and they are providing me with great service.

I live in Perth, pretty much in the CBD, and its a fantastic place to ride! Lots of bike paths for exercise. I'm still nervous on the road and already had a car almost turn into me (but I saw it coming so nothing happened, whew). Another car reversed out of a car bay and I bet he didnt see me, although I had my flashing light on. I still vigilant look at parked cars as I'm scared some fool will open his door into me.

I must admit, since this week, my driving has also been a lot more vigilant toward riders on the road. I still drive to work but may start riding soon. The only pity is that bike path rout to my office in Subicao is closed due to train construction and will be for a long time... I still would be too nervous to ride through the peak hour traffic, a few months ago I saw the aftermath of bike vs. car.

The only problem so far has been my bike lights. I purchased a $20 bike light kit from tioga and its no good. First the clip broke on my rear light, it was replaced today, now the light wont work. I also had to 'tap' the front light to get the beam brighter... well... $20. I will go back to the shop tomorrow and ask for an exchange, if that set fails, I'll ask for a refund and buy one from wiggle.

Here are some pics! The bag on the handle is a well deserved Kebab after a 1.5 hour ride :wink: .

AndyTheMan

Re: First bike rides first Impressions - newbie's intro

Postby AndyTheMan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:28 am

Welcome to the world of awesomeness

For lights, also see websites such as cell bikes, chain reaction or torpedo7.

And Christmas is just around the corner, so give you family/friends strict instructions on items you need ...

Oh, and u had better clear some room in your garage.... I went from one bike 7 or 8 years ago and currently have 4.....

Although I reckon I could sneak in a 5th without the wife noticing.....

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:48 am

Great stuff, yes write a list for Christmas and hand it around :)

Give yourself a few months of getting your confidence and reaction speed up before hitting peak hour.

Often you can commute by back roads. Don't know your area but look for back street options rather than main roads. These may be impractical in a car but fine on a bike - give way / stop signs are a pain in the car each block but on a bike they have little impact.

I assume you can lock those shocks for on the road? No need for them on a commute ride and will ride easier if they are locked.

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:55 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:Great stuff, yes write a list for Christmas and hand it around :)
I assume you can lock those shocks for on the road? No need for them on a commute ride and will ride easier if they are locked.
Yeh, I keep 'em locked. I didnt rally want shocks as I know they add weight, but they came with the bike so... oh well.

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:17 pm

I did a about 22km this evening (according to google maps, but probably more as I took a few different streets). WOW was it enjoyable. Even when I got back... I felt like I could go some more. :P

Reman

Postby Reman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:38 am

AndyTheMan wrote:Although I reckon I could sneak in a 5th without the wife noticing.....
Bwahahahahahaha, oh man, you so funny. (where do we look for your obituary?) :mrgreen:

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:20 pm

I think I'm ok reman....

Whilst shopping for a recent upgrade to my roadie ( or perhaps a dedicated Tri bike) I ended up leaving my local store with a new road bike for my wife.....

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:48 pm

anonymousmoose wrote:I thought I'd post a proper intro :D

The bag on the handle is a well deserved Kebab after a 1.5 hour ride :wink: .
It won't be long before kebabs are a thing of the past, it'll be bananas and protein shakes next. I miss kebabs ;)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:41 pm

Dunno, I'm partial to a long black and a lemon tart :wink:

...or a nice bit of apple and raspberry shortcake

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."